Minimizing risk of viral infections

davelinde

Last year we were on a cruise that got cut short due to noro-virus.  That experience got me quite interested in what I could do pro-actively to minimize the chance of getting a viral infection.   I had mistakenly thought that hand sanitizer killed a virus, but now I believe it doesn't do much.   As I learned more it seemed that the most effective and really only effective measure was proper hand washing.  The protective mechanism is NOT killing the virus but getting your hands so slick with a soapy film that the virus can't stick and falls off when exposed to a complete rinsing.

With the advent of COVID-19 I can only imagine the pressure to use (ineffective) hand gel will increase?   We are cruising to Europe in a couple months and my "plan" is to find places with warm water and soap near where I eat and washy-washy thoroughly (then skip the hand gel).   Am I right that this is the most risk reduction I can manage?    I'd also understood that masks may prevent spread from you to others but do little (or worse increase risk) of others spreading to you?  So no gel, no mask was my thought.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, davelinde said:

Last year we were on a cruise that got cut short due to noro-virus.  That experience got me quite interested in what I could do pro-actively to minimize the chance of getting a viral infection.   I had mistakenly thought that hand sanitizer killed a virus, but now I believe it doesn't do much.   As I learned more it seemed that the most effective and really only effective measure was proper hand washing.  The protective mechanism is NOT killing the virus but getting your hands so slick with a soapy film that the virus can't stick and falls off when exposed to a complete rinsing.

With the advent of COVID-19 I can only imagine the pressure to use (ineffective) hand gel will increase?   We are cruising to Europe in a couple months and my "plan" is to find places with warm water and soap near where I eat and washy-washy thoroughly (then skip the hand gel).   Am I right that this is the most risk reduction I can manage?    I'd also understood that masks may prevent spread from you to others but do little (or worse increase risk) of others spreading to you?  So no gel, no mask was my thought.

The CDC website has some tips.  No one knows what is an effective measure specifically for COVID-19 at this time so they are using their generic advice that covers many cases.  If you search across the CDC site you'll see many of the same tips repeated for different cases.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html

• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Stay home when you are sick.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
  • Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask.
    • CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
    • Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to  others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
    • If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

The CDC website has some tips. 

Thanks - yes that is one of the places I'd been before and supported my ideas about face masks and hand gels being ineffective.

Thanks also for pointing me to the larger more active thread I'd missed (though they have strayed off on motorcycles and handshakes for now).

I really like the hand washing machines on the ships.  I always use them after handling public utensils in the buffet.  Also, I wash my hands with soap and water throughout the day.  The only thing I will do differently is bring hydrogen peroxide wipes and wipe down the airplane tray table, airplane seatbelt, and a few things in the hotel room and cabin like door knobs and remotes.

• Like 1