NRD and FCC - amount above deposit

slanik

We recently got off a cruise to the southern Caribbean on the Summit.  The cruise was very enjoyable. While on-board we booked a future cruise.  We decided on the NRD because the total price was almost $1000 cheaper and we were only putting $100 per person down.  I was asked to sign a paper understanding that the deposit was non refundable, but there was more to the deal than the deposit.  Any money that I pay towards the cruise above the deposit will be given back as Future Cruise Credit, it won't be put back on my credit card.  So if I cancel before the final payment and I've paid $1000 towards the cruise in total, $200 will be forfeited as the deposit and the $800 balance will be given as FCC.  This was a surprise to me.  I don't see anything like this on the cruise website when I do mock bookings.  Needless to say, I won't be paying anything but the deposit until the final payment is due.

Maybe the reason is due to the small deposit.  When we have booked on board and then moved the reservation to a TA with group rates we had to pay the full deposit  We never pay anything above the deposit until final payment.  I hang on to my $ as long as I can.

That's how the NRD works, both on X and RCCL. I used to pay as I go, but now wait until FP date. I think it's a stupid idea on the corporation's part. They could use the monies that they would normally receive in advance, and if the customer cancels, they still gain $100.00 pp.

35 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Maybe the reason is due to the small deposit.  When we have booked on board and then moved the reservation to a TA with group rates we had to pay the full deposit  We never pay anything above the deposit until final payment.  I hang on to my $ as long as I can.

This is the issue.  It has to do with the fact the required deposit is reduced for on board bookings.  Even though you pay only $100.00 per person when you book aboard, the "full deposit" for the cruise is still the regular amount.  So, if you cancel, they treat any monies paid, up to the regular deposit amount, as they would the regular deposit.  This has actually always been the case, but it's become something more apparent with the advent of the non-refundable deposits. 

Harris

Denver, CO