NCL Gem... been a long time since we cruised

sweetbasil57

Hi y’all.. been years since we cruised, been spending our time at resorts (all inclusive ) so we’re sailing on the Gem out of Boston 5/8/20 with 2 other couples. Feel we got a good deal with a lot of comps. Including free air. But still gonna check about price drops. What anyone tell me about this ship.. crew,cabins,excursions, on board time (3 days at sea) drink package (ncl comp)Thanks.. happy sailing🛳.  Sorry this is long winded..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sweetbasil57 said:

Hi y’all.. been years since we cruised, been spending our time at resorts (all inclusive ) so we’re sailing on the Gem out of Boston 5/8/20 with 2 other couples. Feel we got a good deal with a lot of comps. Including free air. But still gonna check about price drops. What anyone tell me about this ship.. crew,cabins,excursions, on board time (3 days at sea) drink package (ncl comp)Thanks.. happy sailing🛳.  Sorry this is long winded..

You actually were not long-winded.  Perhaps if you ask some specific questions people would have a better idea of what to reply.  But here's some info...

Hubby and I went to Bermuda, on Gem, last year about the same time you are going.  The weather in Boston can be great or dreadful (we were lucky).  The Gem had been updated less than year previous to that cruise, so was looking very nice.

Embarkation was pretty easy, especially since we in line early and in a suite.  If you prefer a sit down restaurant, don't be mislead into thinking you can only have lunch in the buffet. (Check the FreeStyle Daily for times locations of things!)  If you were not given one prior to boarding, ask for one at Guest Services!

Your Room Key-card will have a Letter and a number in the lower right-hand corner ...that is your Assembly Station (muster/safety drill).  That information can be found on the back of your stateroom door, listing where it is located!

The drinks package is great, especially if you want to try different things, but would hate that you don't like something you ordered. No problem, just try something else!  There are plenty of choices under $15, but if you want "better" selection, you just pay the difference, plus additional 20%.  Example: $17.95 drink, minus $15 allowed cost = $2.95 + $.59 (20%) = $3.54.  HOWEVER, I forgot, while still within the US Boundaries, Boston/MA Tax(es) will also be applied (Usually around a dollar per drink +/-).    

If you haven't booked your restaurants, you might want to do that (either online or call).  You will want to allow 2+hours for dining, so don't plan to eat at 6pm and go to a 7ish show. (Show times do vary from ship to ship, so I can't give you a specific time).  

Now I am being long winded!  So, please ask questions for best results!

My favorite ship in the fleet.  Not too large, not too small.  There isn't a laser tag bumper car horseback riding full-sized cricket pitch on board, but that is part of the charm.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sweetbasil57 said:

Including free air. But still gonna check about price drops.

The free air will greatly reduce your options on price drops. As far as I know there's no cruise leaving the US east coast currently offering free airfare. Which means if the price drops to take advantage of that you'd have to pay the full price of the flights as price drops go with the current promos. 

Odds are any price drop won't be worth it unless the free air promo comes back. 

Was just off the Gem after spending 21days on her. As usual the NCL crew were doing all the regular PM, painting and scraping etc. We had no major issues with our cabin and the pubic areas still looked good. She is going to be refirbed again this fall. I do love all of the Jewel class ships.

We're currently on the Gem and I plan on writing a detailed review, the good and the bad, including the tour companies we're using, after we return home next week. Look for it. In the meantime, if there are any specific questions, I'll try to answer them. The internet has been good this cruise. 

• Like 1

Love the Gem.  We like the Spinnaker lounge with the wrap around Windows for great views. We enjoy sitting up at the Bali Hai bar that overlooks the pool area. Food is great in all the restaurants (I know taste is subjective but hey I'm on vacation and don't have to cook, so to me it's great). Entertainment is also great (Blazing Boots is excellent if you are a country music fan). The ship is always clean and they are always keeping the maintanence up to date. Staff has always been fantastic (made my MIL feel like a queen on her last cruise in 2015, she passed away 2 weeks after our return). This is why at the end of this month we will be sailing on her for the 9th time!

13 hours ago, tooleman56 said:

We're currently on the Gem and I plan on writing a detailed review, the good and the bad, including the tour companies we're using, after we return home next week. Look for it. In the meantime, if there are any specific questions, I'll try to answer them. The internet has been good this cruise. 

Which internet plan did you buy?

On 2/29/2020 at 10:39 AM, sweetbasil57 said:

We just spent 51 days in January and February on the Gem...actually 62 days of an 84 day stretch that started in early December through this past Monday.

We were treated like royalty by the officers and crew. we couldn't ask for a better experience in that regard.

We were in a balcony cabin. It was clean and well-maintained. The housekeeping crew does a great job of keeping the entire ship clean.

Food is what we would expect from a mass market line. Good, but certainly not gourmet. 

Edited by njhorseman