Our Regal Experience: 20th Anniversary Trip Report- British Isles, June 9, 2020

aheape1979

40 minutes ago, tartana said:

I didn't notice magnetic hooks or clothesline in your purchases?  I've heard many people mention they are invaluable as many cruise cabin walls are magnetic, and you can hang clothing to dry. (or to hang you hats/coats, etc) I plan on taking some of these on my next cruise to try it out. 

I have the magnetic hooks, but haven't gotten a clothesline yet.  Thanks for the advice.

aheape1979;  you have done a great job preparing for your trip.  Have you used the usb/outlet hub on any ship yet?  I know some plugs on ships have a small cover and its hard to put a usb hub like yours into the socket.  Just curious.  Have fun out there.  Also since you will be doing a full day tour on arrival day; flying business class is the right choice. Having the ability to get off your feet; where you can put your feet and body up off the floor makes a world of difference; especially when flying over five hours.  I have stayed at three of the Marriotts you have mentioned;  Marriott does a good job of providing elite guests with free breakfasts and free evening treats

Edited by AF-1
added txt
  • Like 1

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide

The new Princess Plus program!

When we originally booked, we had the basic fare.  As time passed, we were able to upgrade that with free gratuities and an OBC.  When Princess announced its all-inclusive deals a few months ago, we looked at the cost, but determined that it wasn’t worth it for us.  THEN, Princess Plus was announced.  Of course, I had to compare prices.  

Here are the extras I was already purchasing:

• Internet- $75 for one device (but we could really use two!)
  • Coffee Cards- around $75 for two (We love GOOD coffee!)
  • Soda- Canned soda package- $12 (ginger ale for if DH gets hiccups), PLUS  two per day for DH out of pocket $5 per day:  $60.  We thought about stopping and getting some on the way in but having to lug those on board would be tough.  
  • Bottled water to take on excursions- around $15 for 2 packages
  • Neither of us are heavy drinkers (I may have a glass of wine with dinner and a cocktail per day.  Ok…3 max including wine).  DH may have one per day.  Let’s average 3 per day…at least $20 plus gratuities…let’s round to $25.

Total for it all:  $537

Then, a great CC’er posted this online:
 image.png.0db4f79f2aef6a881097916c796b8b6f.png

S o, to upgrade to the unlimited drinks and wifi (we already had gratuities), it was $600.  

In my mind…that’s a no-brainer for $60 extra…because:

• We can have up to 4 devices on wifi (this means we can Facetime or Skype with the kids on wifi, not having to pay our $10 per day Verizon upcharge for international!)
  • If I want to have a second coffee, or 2 different glasses of wine with my dinner courses, no problem!  If I want to try a new wine or cocktail, I can do it without fearing that I won’t like it and will be wasting my money.  
  • I may want champagne for our anniversary, but I won’t feel bad if I get one and don’t like it.
  • Plus…I don’t have to worry about how much I’m spending onboard, other than at the spa.  

Has anyone else done the upgrade to Princess Plus?

So excited for you and hoping for the best in regards to CV. I have a three week land trip to Italy in July that I’m keeping my fingers crossed for. 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Can’t wait to follow along on your journey. We absolutely love the Regal. Did 6 Christmas vacation cruises on her before switching to the Sky this past year.

Great Amazon/TJM shopping hauls! You’ve purchased necessary, practical items, most of which I’ve got in my travelling tote bins as well. Nothing more exciting than an Amazon delivery associated with a trip! 😁

Edited by h-sar
  • Like 1

“Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.”
― Emily Dickinson

Finding Positivity in the Unknown

There is so much unknown right now with the Corona virus, including whether ships will even be sailing in June.  I haven't cancelled tours, hotel reservations, dining plans, or air yet.  There will be time for that later.  I probably won't begin that process until we are about 30 days out.  I hope all of you following this thread are staying healthy, practicing safe social distancing, and loving your friends/neighbors who may need you.  

I work in the healthcare industry, specifically skilled nursing facilities.  Please don't forget your elderly family and friends.  Send a positive message, picture your kids have drawn, or encouraging verse to #CaringCards or email to CaringCards@PruittHealth.com.  (This is a skilled nursing facility chain in the southeastern United States.)  Or, do something like this locally where you live.  

We will get through this together!

aheape1979 - I am really enjoying reading about your plans for your trip.  I am booked on the BI on Regal in September.  We, too changed to the Princess Plus.  It cost us $380 each more, but our original booking didn't include gratuities or wi-fi.  Between that and the premier beverages, along with an increase in OBC, it was a no brainer for us.

We have booked our own air and have noticed the price has dropped by $400.  We were willing to pay a change fee, but unfortunately, we can't change because we bought basic economy tickets.  But, I will just feel good IF we get to take that trip.

Such uncertain times.

Stay safe out there!

• 2 weeks later...

After much deliberation, we have decided to cancel our June 9 sailing.  Our pre-cruise hotel has closed through June 14, and I just don't see things calming down enough for international travel by then.  We have a backup date for July 27, but I have begun to seriously doubt that any cruises will be sailing by then either.  

Oh well, we just have to trust that everything happens for a reason, and if need be, we will wait and cruise in 2021!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Everyone hold tight....

I will be posting information about which businesses/tours have been amazing to work with...and some that haven't.  No need for those of you planning a future trip to risk getting stuck with poor customer service too!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We are back!!!

We were finally able to work out refunds with Princess and our additional travel insurance.  I'll work on posting that information AND....

We are booked for May 14, 2021!!!

I don't want to get my hopes too high, but am excited that we found an alternate date that works for our work/school/childrens' schedules.  We won't have a Regal Experience, but will enjoy the new Sky Princess!  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, aheape1979 said:

We are back!!!

We were finally able to work out refunds with Princess and our additional travel insurance.  I'll work on posting that information AND....

We are booked for May 14, 2021!!!

I don't want to get my hopes too high, but am excited that we found an alternate date that works for our work/school/childrens' schedules.  We won't have a Regal Experience, but will enjoy the new Sky Princess!  

We're going to have to book June 19th.  Bummed I won't get to sail with you guys 😞  I'm planning to call first thing tomorrow morning to get our June 7, 2021 Crown (that was cancelled) moved to the 19th.  Hope we all get to go!  Best of luck!

23 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

We're going to have to book June 19th.  Bummed I won't get to sail with you guys 😞  I'm planning to call first thing tomorrow morning to get our June 7, 2021 Crown (that was cancelled) moved to the 19th.  Hope we all get to go!  Best of luck!

That was our 2nd potential date, but it didn't work with one of the girls' events this summer.  I wish we were able to sail together.  Our roll call group was great! 😞 

We are sailing earlier in the season, so I guess that helps us.  Our cost is down $800 from what we originally booked back in 2018, but that fare had gone down a total of $1300 by last March.  So we are paying $500 over what we would have in 2020.  HOWEVER...we were able to snag one of the two window suites.  We don't have a balcony, but have over 700 sq. feet and full suite benefits.  For $500 more....I'll take it!  We were in a mini for 2020.

We've sailed the Regal before, and the Sky is very similar.  So I think we will be happy.  Now I get to hope and pray that we are able to sail in less than 5 months!  

• Like 1

"Do or do not.  There is no try."  ~Yoda

I promised information on our vendors/ tours, and I'm delivering on that promise!  Yes, Princess took a while to refund us, as did some vendors.  I was patient, knowing that we weren't planning a vacation this summer anyway with the pandemic.  We did not completely settle with all vendors and insurance until the beginning of September!  

Great Vendors- I plan to rebook with them 

Guernsey:  Walking Tour with Annette Henry- Annette was great and cancelled with no issues.
•    Dublin:  Early entry to the Book of Kells and Dublin Castle- booked through Viator- refunded
•    Glasgow (Greenock), Scotland:  Private tour- Kilted Piper Tours.  Graeme was great and issued us a refund of our deposit due to the circumstances.  
•    Invergordon, Scotland:  Private tour- Highland Tours Inverness.  Issued refund of deposit
•    Edinburgh, Scotland:   Holyrood House tickets refunded 
•    Le Havre, France:  Private driver. Did not have a deposit paid yet, so no problem to cancel.
•    Cruise transfers- Smiths for Airports.  They were great to work with and cancelled with no penalty.
•    St. Ermin’s Hotel- Hotel closed:  Points refunded
•    Windsor Castle- Tickets refunded
•    Secret Garden Tour in the Cotswolds- Offered a credit for future tour or refund.  This is a small business and she was extremely pleasant to deal with.  

I will likely rebook with these vendors...unless I find a tour I like better.   

• Belfast, Northern Ireland:  Giants Causeway Extra Legroom Tour- Odyssey Coach Tours (small group)- Issued refund, but took a while
  • Private airport transfer and Windsor- Five Star Windsor.  Took a while but issued refund.

The “not so great to work with” vendors…

•  Cork (Cobh), Ireland: Small Group Shore Tour- Elegant Irish Tours.  Would not give refund and were difficult to contact.  They offered to reschedule only.  We took this up with our insurance. 
  • Dublin: An Evening of Food, Folklore, and Fairies- O’Shea’s Pub- refused to refund without us providing our bank routing/account information.  Uh…no thanks!  We were able to claim through our insurance.
  • Private VIP tour with London Magical Tours- no refund and were quite snarky at one point.  Considering this was our most expensive tour, I would have thought they would be a little more customer friendly.  I understand that there is a pandemic and it affects everyone, but don’t be snarky! We had to take this one to our travel insurance policy.
Edited by aheape1979