Making WiFi calls with iPhone using boom surf and stream on Freedom

We will be cruising on Freedom beginning March 15 and have purchased the voom surf and stream package. Will we be able to  use that to make WiFi calls back to the states or do we need to purchase a cruise calling package through AT&T?   Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just now, tanderine said:

We will be cruising on Freedom beginning March 15 and have purchased the voom surf and stream package. Will we be able to  use that to make WiFi calls back to the states or do we need to purchase a cruise calling package through AT&T?   Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

As long as your phone supports wifi calling you are good to go.  No AT&T package needed 

Wifi calling with the package worked just fine for us (we have AT&T too).  Turn on airplane mode, enable wifi calling (better to do this prior to getting on ship), turn off cellular data (just as a precaution), log on and it worked perfect for us on our last two cruises, freedom in 04/2019 and navigator 02/20.  Then while in port we used the international day pass for $10 per phone.

I would suggest having a wifi plan on board + skype credit. If you plan to make a lot of calls just put money on your skype account. Its cheap, well designed and got some the best tariffs no matter where you are. You can make calls via wifi on other skype accounts and to regular phones. I always keep a few bucks on it just in case I travel somewhere and I need to make a cheap call. Its especially good when you have a local sim card or stay in a place with stable wifi connection 

15 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I would suggest having a wifi plan on board + skype credit. If you plan to make a lot of calls just put money on your skype account. Its cheap, well designed and got some the best tariffs no matter where you are. You can make calls via wifi on other skype accounts and to regular phones. I always keep a few bucks on it just in case I travel somewhere and I need to make a cheap call. Its especially good when you have a local sim card or stay in a place with stable wifi connection 

No reason to spend money on skype when your carrier and phone supports WiFi calling. That might be cheaper for international calls but definitely not cheaper than free. As long as you’re calling US numbers, no additional charges for WiFi calling.