Wine Question?

Paula B

We have decided to take our own wine onboard. I know that we check them in and pay our $15 corking fee for the dining room and get stickers for them. What I would like to know is can we take them to he dining room when we get onboard and they will keep them or do we have to bring them each night? Also if they open them for us and we don't drink all of the bottle will they save it for us the next night or do we have to take it back to our room. I appreciate your help thank you.

Edited by Paula B
Spelling

On my most recent cruise a few weeks ago, we took a couple of bottles of wine onboard at embarkation in Ft Lauderdale.

There was no table with a crew member checking wine in and putting stickers on the bottles.

One night we dined at the Crown Grill and I had taken one bottle there,  and was not charged a corkage fee.

I chose to take that bottle back to the cabin, and the following night took it with us to the ATD room. The waiter accepted and served it without comment, and stored what was left for the next night.

Toward the end of the cruise, I took the other bottle to one of the anytime dining rooms. For some unknown reason, none of the wait staff said anything about paying the corkage fee. Our waiter took my bottle, placed it on ice, and served it as soon as it had chilled enough. At the end of the meal, he took the bottle and stored it for the coming nights.

Whether it will be different for you re: corkage fee, I have no idea, as well as with them checking in wine at embarkation. Both seem hit and miss.

Edited by flamomo

The way it's supposed to work (doesn't always happen as flamomo described)...

Wine table after security check. Pay corkage, get sticker.

If there's no wine table, take bottle to dining room. Corkage will be charged, sticker applied.

The waiter in the MDR will offer to store your wine. It's your choice.

If the wine table is missing and you don't want to bother with corkage, simply don't take any bottles to the MDR.

You are allowed to keep your wine in your cabin and take a glass (or thermos jug full :classic_wink:) anywhere on the ship.

I prefer to keep my own wine because I might want a glass in the afternoon and in case of changing dining venue I don't have to wait for it to be fetched.  Otherwise, if you have TD and choose the "store it" option, typically your wait staff is going to have last night's wine already out for you at the table when you come to dinner.

31 minutes ago, flamomo said:

On my most recent cruise a few weeks ago, we took a couple of bottles of wine onboard at embarkation in Ft Lauderdale.

There was no table with a crew member checking wine in and putting stickers on the bottles.

One night we dined at the Crown Grill and I had taken one bottle there,  and was not charged a corkage fee.

I chose to take that bottle back to the cabin, and the following night took it with us to the ATD room. The waiter accepted and served it without comment, and stored what was left for the next night.

Toward the end of the cruise, I took the other bottle to one of the anytime dining rooms. For some unknown reason, none of the wait staff said anything about paying the corkage fee. Our waiter took my bottle, placed it on ice, and served it as soon as it had chilled enough. At the end of the meal, he took the bottle and stored it for the coming nights.

Whether it will be different for you re: corkage fee, I have no idea, as well as with them checking in wine at embarkation. Both seem hit and miss.

This has also been our experience. I'd guesstimate that about 50% of the time, we're not charged corkage fees when bringing our own wines into the various dining venues. We've tended to have the charge applied more in the MDRs than in the Speciality restaurants.

• Like 1

Like everything with Princess they do not always enforce their wine rules.  Sometimes we find the wine table and stop and other times it simply is not there on initial boarding.  The wait staff in the MDR do not seem to care about the sticker on the wine bottle.   Sometimes when re-boarding the ship from a port call, the table is there and many times not.  We do TD these days after quite a few years of ATD and take our wine bottle with us to dinner.  They store the part full wine bottle and have it on our table the next night.  We always tell them the night before if we are going to eat elsewhere.   Thankfully Princess has a reasonable wine policy.

• Like 1

Just left on the Royal Princess on 2/22/20. After security we went to a table and they put stickers on 2/4 bottles we had. We were later charged $30 on our bill for it. The MDR traditional and anytime seating never once looked at the stickers on the bottle. Hell, I didn't even finish one of the bottles and I brought it back home with me. I know... Tragedy but it made back home safe and sound. 

10 hours ago, Paula B said:

if they open them for us and we don't drink all of the bottle will they save it for us the next night or do we have to take it back to our room.

Huh?  It sounds like you are saying that after finishing your meal, there is still some wine left in the bottle that you brought.  Is that it?

I've never heard of anything like that.

The amazing things I learn here on Cruise Critic.

😉

• Haha 2

Yes XBGuy, when we would buy the wine package if you don't drink the whole bottle they would save it and bring it out the next evening. We never drink a whole bottle so there is always a half a bottle left.

7 hours ago, Paula B said:

Yes XBGuy, when we would buy the wine package if you don't drink the whole bottle they would save it and bring it out the next evening. We never drink a whole bottle so there is always a half a bottle left.

Imagine that.

I hope you are OK with my teasing, Paula.  I truly hope you have a great cruise. 

I usually bring a stash of my own wine on board, but we are, also. always buying wines off the various winelists.  On our last cruise, we won over several servers in Sabatini's and Crown Grill when I left the last glass. or so, of a Barolo and a Cabernet Sauvignon for the staff.  If there is much more than that left in a bottle, I'll usually, take it back to the room.