Weather on 1st Sea Day?

mbarker10

We've never cruised out of Baltimore; always done the Southern ports (Tampa, Miami, NOLA), so I'm curious how that first sea day will go. I know the ship moves pretty quickly into the open water, so will it warm up enough on Day 1 so laying by the pool? Or is there a chance for chilly weather?

Looking at the 10 day forecast, Baltimore should be in the upper 50s on the 15th when we depart.

When do you leave.  Baltimore temps for March are forecast to be slightly above normal.  In DC they are expecting cherry blossoms early. Still it will be hit or miss on whether you will be comfortable at the pool on day 1.

March isnt a good time to travel. No matter what other people say I prefer traveling during summer time. In spring the weather can be totally unpredictable. Especially in the very beginning of Spring. The late Spring should be alright or the beginning of Summer. Whoever takes those transatlantic tours in Winter time..you guys are crazy! 🙂 

We have cruised 5 times from Baltimore, twice in the winter.  Both winter cruises had at least one day of rough seas. We were never able to hang outside on day 1.  Now this was December, not March.

Weather is always a variable - especially at sea.  An additional factor is course. If you are heading to the Caribbean from Baltimore, the afternoon of your first day will find you in the 70 F waters of the Gulf Stream.  If you are headed for the Bahamas, you will be closer to the East Coast, inside of the Gulf Stream and in significantly cooler water.

We sailed from Baltimore on Grandeur on Feb. 2, 2019.  We were breaking skim ice on the surface of the Chesapeake bay that afternoon/early evening.  The afternoon of Feb. 3 we were enjoying a sunny 70 F time by the pool.

Anyone who wants to tell you for certain what to expect needs to be ignored.

21 hours ago, mbarker10 said:

We've never cruised out of Baltimore; always done the Southern ports (Tampa, Miami, NOLA), so I'm curious how that first sea day will go. I know the ship moves pretty quickly into the open water, so will it warm up enough on Day 1 so laying by the pool? Or is there a chance for chilly weather?

Looking at the 10 day forecast, Baltimore should be in the upper 50s on the 15th when we depart.

Even departing from Port Canaveral in the winter or very early spring it can be chilly, so there's no guarantee of warmer weather until you get all the way to the Bahamas. 

20 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Even departing from Port Canaveral in the winter or very early spring it can be chilly, so there's no guarantee of warmer weather until you get all the way to the Bahamas. 

I know there's no guarantee, just curious what is more likely. 

1 hour ago, mbarker10 said:

I know there's no guarantee, just curious what is more likely. 

No one can really say, so be prepared for either.  Check the weather for various areas areas along the coast the day before you leave and that will be the best way to see what is more likely.  

5 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

“All the way to the Bahamas”?   The Bahamas are just barely south of Port Canaveral - and are likely to have very similar temps.

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

“All the way to the Bahamas”?   The Bahamas are just barely south of Port Canaveral - and are likely to have very similar temps.

You're missing the point.  I'm not saying there's a huge difference in temps exactly between PC to the Bahamas.  Rather, the OP is apparently sailing from Baltimore and will presumably spend the first sea day heading down the eastern seaboard.  Based on my experience going out of PC in winter/early spring it could be very possibly be chilly most of the way.

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

You're missing the point.  I'm not saying there's a huge difference in temps exactly between PC to the Bahamas.  Rather, the OP is apparently sailing from Baltimore and will presumably spend the first sea day heading down the eastern seaboard.  Based on my experience going out of PC in winter/early spring it could be very possibly be chilly most of the way.

22 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

You missed the point of my post - which addressed your “all the way to the Bahamas” comment relative to a ship “departing from Port Canaveral”.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

You missed the point of my post - which addressed your “all the way to the Bahamas” comment relative to a ship “departing from Port Canaveral”.

and you apparently missed that my comment was never about a ship departing from PC.  Have a great day!

On 3/5/2020 at 8:41 AM, waterbug123 said:

11 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

and you apparently missed that my comment was never about a ship departing from PC.  Have a great day!

In just what way does a post starting “Even departing from Port Canaveral...”  can be said to be “...never about a ship departing from PC”.