Silversea just announced easier cancellation policy

tripperva

Guests sailing between June 1 and December 31 can now cancel just 30 days ahead of

departure without the usual penalties. The small administrative fee still applies. I think they are

very wise to head off numerous potential early cancellations. A good move! This announcement

went out to travel agents on March 4.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is the Silversea update documented anywhere? I was within days of canceling. Does it include airfare they booked for you or just the cruise portion? Obviously I can call but although this is news, it would be helpful to see how the official word is getting out.  Good news. 

Read that and it applies from 1 June 2020, until end December 2020 only.

if you are booked in April and May the 30 day cancellation does not apply.  So if Silversea don’t cancel the cruise but you do then it would appear the penalties are much higher.  

Indeed.

I am due to embark on the Shadow in three weeks for 20 days FLL - BCN, and am becoming increasingly concerned that I might end up tangled in some quarantine/travel restriction in Europe that leaves me on the wrong side of the pond having missed my flights home.  Even if it looks OK when I embark, it might have all changed by disembarkation time.

Gotta have a long hard serious think about whether to chance it. Seems harsh that I don't get a more liberal cancellation policy now as the virus is ramping up it's spread.

Guess I'll have to call SS and see what they say - fortunately I'm travelling now and can use their toll free number, a luxury not available to me at home.

This new policy isn’t to help people who feel uncomfortable traveling in the near future during the peak of concerns. It is self interest to get bookings up since people might feel more comfortable doing so with a lower risk cancellation window. 

SS have done the right thing for those of us worried about imminent cruises:

FOR SAILINGS DEPARTING FROM TODAY UNTIL MAY 31ST 2020

For all sailings departing from today (Mar 6) until May 31st 2020 (existing and future bookings) our guests will have a chance to cancel their booking up to 2 days prior to departure and receive a full refund so comprised: any amounts still refundable per Silversea standard cancellation policy will be refunded in the original form of payment, any outstanding amounts due as per cancellation policy will be refunded through a Future Cruise Credit. The Future Cruise Credit amount will cover in specific any applicable cancellation penalty and will exclude any amounts paid for air upgrades, deviation fees, pre, post and overland tours, transfers and hotels. 

So I don't have to call them, I just have to decide before 48 hours pre-cruise whether I want to go or not. (It's on the SS website main page)

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree.  They absolutely are doing the right thing here.  I am due to leave Dublin on May 29th to Reykjavik.  The May 29th date gets me in just under the gun.  I was lucky here.  Now I just have to deal with the airlines and hotels, as I think many of us will have to do.  

I don't think I am being premature in saying I will be cancelling.  I see no way the situation is going to improve over the next few months, I fear it will only become more dire.  I think it was vitally important for Silversea to do the right thing here, primarily because of the extent to which they rely on repeat customers for their business.

I am sorry for all of us and the great disappointment we are experiencing.  I know I have been planning this trip for over a year, and it is hard to cancel but prudence and common sense, I feel, leaves no other choice.

An side,  for Ms. Jones, I know you would not have been on this cruise because it is an expedition and you don't do expeditions, but I hope to be able to cross wits with you on a future sailing.  All the best.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chrism23 said:

I agree.  They absolutely are doing the right thing here. 

I think it was vitally important for Silversea to do the right thing here, primarily because of the extent to which they rely on repeat customers for their business.

Absolutely agree on both fronts.     

I didn't see how long the FCC was good for on announcement on the Silversea website, but that is addressed in the release posted by Silkismom - valid on any future cruise in 2020 or 2021.

Kudos to Silversea. 

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KUDOS for sure!!!!!!!!!!   At least now I have the rest of the month to make a final decision without worrying about

losing a bunch of $$$.  (and yes I had purchased insurance) but the policy didn't cover the virus.

This is a smart policy; extending the "wait and see" time frame will certainly reduce early cancellations to the benefit of the line while allowing people who really feel uncomfortable traveling to have a graceful way to reschedule. We still intend to sail in June but I appreciate knowing that if that plan changes we're covered. Win-win. And fortuitous timing for SS to get the financial resources of Royal Caribbean behind it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chrism23 said:

I agree.  They absolutely are doing the right thing here.  I am due to leave Dublin on May 29th to Reykjavik.  The May 29th date gets me in just under the gun.  I was lucky here.  Now I just have to deal with the airlines and hotels, as I think many of us will have to do.  

I don't think I am being premature in saying I will be cancelling.  I see no way the situation is going to improve over the next few months, I fear it will only become more dire.  I think it was vitally important for Silversea to do the right thing here, primarily because of the extent to which they rely on repeat customers for their business.

I am sorry for all of us and the great disappointment we are experiencing.  I know I have been planning this trip for over a year, and it is hard to cancel but prudence and common sense, I feel, leaves no other choice.

An side,  for Ms. Jones, I know you would not have been on this cruise because it is an expedition and you don't do expeditions, but I hope to be able to cross wits with you on a future sailing.  All the best.

I am on the same cruis from Dublin to Reykjavik! I wont cancel for now. I will wait to see. I do want to do this trip.!

I am with Lirio - re I want to cruise. I am under 70, a woman, I have never smoked and I feel healthy (touch wood). I am really concerned that all this helpful cancellation policy is just giving cruise lines a get out to cancel our July cruise themselves at short notice. I am not saying that they shouldn't give people the right to cancel, I am appealing to you that if you are not in the danger group (and I appreciate many cruisers are) please don't cancel unless and until the spring, because though I would not usually agree with Donald Trump I am hoping that if monkeys can randomly create the works of Shakespeare, just this once he might be right?

• Like 1