VP Pence to meet with Cruise lines

4 minutes ago, flamingos said:

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

”Trump also touted the low number of overall cases as a sign of the government's success. The president even said he'd prefer passengers stuck aboard a cruise ship off the coast of California with a number of COVID-19 cases remain onboard so as not to raise the overall American case count“.

Link to the story the Canadian News story is here. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/we-re-just-lost-why-the-u-s-still-lags-on-covid-19-testing-1.5488886

Thanks! 👍

10 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

I would love a link to that quote.  Thanks!🙂

Here's one of many articles quoting Trump on this issue: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-on-allowing-grand-princess-cruise-passengers-to-disembark-id-rather-have-them-stay-on-personally-2020-03-07

‘They would like to have the people come off. I’d rather have the people stay [on the ship]. But I’d go with them. I told them to make the final decision. I would rather — because I like the numbers being where they are. I don’t need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn’t our fault.’

— President Trump

13 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

I would love a link to that quote.  Thanks!🙂

C-Span is always a good source for unedited direct quotes from the president. There is no spin on the actual comments and there are 100s of archived videos. 

CDC meeting with quote 

https://www.c-span.org/video/?470138-1/cdc-send-million-coronavirus-testing-kits-week

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MADflyer said:

C-Span is always a good source for unedited direct quotes from the president. There is no spin on the actual comments and there are 100s of archived videos. 

CDC meeting with quote 

https://www.c-span.org/video/?470138-1/cdc-send-million-coronavirus-testing-kits-week

That's true about CSPAN.

In the end, the president left the power to others to make the final decision in regard to the passengers.  Much ado about nothing.

17 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

That's true about CSPAN.

In the end, the president left the power to others to make the final decision in regard to the passengers.  Much ado about nothing.

Except for "I don’t need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn’t our fault."  Americans are affected, and he spoke not about their safety but his statistics. Again, not confidence-inspiring.

And now this:

The now-deceased passenger from Placer County, California, said before he died that his symptoms began two to three days after boarding the cruise ship, says medical officer Dr. Grant Tarling.   https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8088493/Grand-Princess-passenger-died-coronavirus-infected-boarded-says-medical-officer.html?ito=push-notification&ci=9486&si=1078962

30 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

”Trump also touted the low number of overall cases as a sign of the government's success. The president even said he'd prefer passengers stuck aboard a cruise ship off the coast of California with a number of COVID-19 cases remain onboard so as not to raise the overall American case count“.

Link to the story the Canadian News story is here. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/we-re-just-lost-why-the-u-s-still-lags-on-covid-19-testing-1.5488886

I read the Canadian article. I know hindsight 20-20 but it still disappoints.  If the Germans had developed a test for coronavirus why wouldn’t you leverage their knowledge.  As a side note they are the only country with greater than 265 confirmed cases that have had zero deaths. 

• Like 3

Obviously, it worked out that the tally didn't rise in Japan due to the Diamond Princess passengers. That was the point of your comment, right, mocking the statement as if it was unique in some way to the United States?

Seriously, though, the majority of passengers on the Diamond Princess were Japanese; there were less than 100 Americans on board. Japanese medical authorities quarantined the ship for 14 days because they didn't know what else to do so early in the crisis, but half-way through they relented and offered people the choice to stay on the ship or move to an isolated facility in Japan. However, the choice was to stay on the ship with free internet, a daily variety of food choices, and ship-provided entertainment, or move to a Japanese facility with only Japanese meals, non-English speaking staff, and no outside contact.

It was only with a few days left in the quarantine that Japanese medical officials allowed the United States to transfer its citizens back to the United States.

While I'm sure that public health safety was their major concern, it's also true that being "charged" with the headcount from the ship was also a factor. I can suppose that if one were trying to study initial clusters of outbreaks in order to isolate early causes, having 3,000 people already with the virus (contracted elsewhere) inserted into the population might skew the global statistics. At some point, those numbers might not matter anymore, but this was the early days when people were still trying to figure it out.

With the ship off of San Francisco, it's possibly the same thing. Our government is trying to identify clusters of outbreaks, and having an already-contracted population inserted into those statistics might compromise the numbers, and potentially increase anxiety levels and unhelpful media reporting.

We've already seen high fatality numbers being breathlessly reported from Washington state as some kind of proof of a pandemic reaching the United States, but a deeper look shows they were the most elderly residents of a single nursing home. We were just beginning to see a few incidents of cases in California when the governor declared a state of emergency, and that's when the Grand Princess passengers were going to be added to the California numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SG65CB said:

"You're ill and your best chance of survival is to be treated in a hospital,....................

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/steps-when-sick.html

No where in this guideline from the CDC is there a recommendation to go to the hospital if you suspect you have COVID-19.

• Like 1