Using FCDs

57eric

There are apparently issues with Cunard honoring full FCD benefits with reduced fares for bookings that are eligible based on the US Ts & Cs.  I just experienced this myself.  When the agent told me my FCD could not be applied, I mentioned the exclusions printed on it, which did not exclude the voyage I was booking.  After a pause, she confirmed that it actually wasn't a problem.  She said that her system told her it wouldn't work, but when she entered the FCD, it was accepted, with full OBC awarded.

If you encounter this, it may be helpful to have the certificate on hand to bolster your position.

Another chapter in the FCD and OBC low fare story. Perhaps Cunard's crack programmers have not yet prevented the system from rejecting the certificate, or perhaps there is bad information afoot. In any event I am glad it worked for you

I'm going to cancel a RT crossing in May. (I have stage 4 cancer and am undergoing chemo which wrecks my immune system, so even without COVID-19, I need to cancel). Princess is currently offering a FCD equal to the cancellation penalty, and perhaps Cunard will do the same. 

My question is - can FCDs be used to pay towards cruises which are already booked? We're booked on another RT crossing in 2021. With my current health situation, it's very likely I'll not be able to go on another trip beyond that (and may not be able to make that one, but I'm hopeful) - so any FCD may be unable to be used if I can't apply it to my existing booking.

Edited by MarkBearSF

23 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

I'm going to cancel a RT crossing in May. (I have stage 4 cancer and am undergoing chemo which wrecks my immune system, so even without COVID-19, I need to cancel). Princess is currently offering a FCD equal to the cancellation penalty, and perhaps Cunard will do the same. 

My question is - can FCDs be used to pay towards cruises which are already booked? We're booked on another RT crossing in 2021. With my current health situation, it's very likely I'll not be able to go on another trip beyond that (and may not be able to make that one, but I'm hopeful) - so any FCD may be unable to be used if I can't apply it to my existing booking.

Mark, This comment is off topic, but I want to wish you the best in your recovery from Cancer. I spent most of last year helping a friend of 45 years fight and finally conquer his cancer and the three bouts of infection that resulted from the surgery and after procedures. I also lost my oldest son to cancer in 2007 and know what that involves for you and your loved ones. Stay strong, stay hopeful and stay happy. Mike

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

Mark Did you by chance buy Cunard Care with your fare. I was reviewing the terms and conditions of it today in anticipation of my July crossing and the , and I believe it would cover your circumstance. Your T/A or Cunard can help if you did. By the way if you don't use the FCD and I would presume it would be refunded with your cancellation, it has a cash value after three or four years from original issue of the original amount and they will send you a check. 

26 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Mark Did you by chance buy Cunard Care with your fare. I was reviewing the terms and conditions of it today in anticipation of my July crossing and the , and I believe it would cover your circumstance. Your T/A or Cunard can help if you did. By the way if you don't use the FCD and I would presume it would be refunded with your cancellation, it has a cash value after three or four years from original issue of the original amount and they will send you a check. 

I bought third-party insurance, which should definitely cover things.  (Bought the same day I booked the cruise over a year ago) I'll be calling them tomorrow. (or perhaps to beat what will undoubtedly be clogged phone lines, in the middle of the night, tonight)

Another concern is that if I'm offered FCD's for the penalty amount (as Princess is doing) - if that would occur, could the insurance company refuse to pay, as I had been compensated by Cunard? 
...and then, I could be still left with the loss, but compensation I might be unable to use.  (And dammit, this was a splurge trip - 14 days in Princess Grill)

But of course, all of this is trivial in comparison to my health.
❤️ Also Mike (and Camgirl and others) thank you for the good wishes

Edited by MarkBearSF

Princess' new cancellation policy includes the following wording concerning how the Future Cruise Credits they are issuing may be used.

"Future Cruise Credits (FCC) ... may be applied to any new or existing booking not yet paid in full on a Princess cruise or cruisetour departing on or before December 31, 2021."

If Cunard does announce a similar policy of issuing FCC's for cruise cancellations, I think it would be reasonable to imagine the terms ought to be similar in that you would be able to apply the FCC amount toward the final payment of another already-booked cruise. Of course we'll need to wait for such an announcement from Cunard to be certain. But since this would be a Future Cruise Credit (FCC), rather than a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD), it really ought be a credit in your account with Cunard to use as you wish to pay for either a new or existing booking.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

It looks like Cunard is doing things differently than Princess with regard to being able to apply the FCC from canceling a voyage to pay for a voyage already booked. From the FAQ on the newly posted UK "COVID-19 – Flexible booking terms." page:

(Q) Can I use the Future Cruise Credit (FCC) on an existing booking?

(A) The FCC is valid on new bookings only.

I believe that if you are given a future cruise credit then you would not be able to make an insurance claim, since you have not occurred a financial loss. That is my understanding of my UK travel insurance policy.

Mark, Cunard is in the process of changing their refund policy. They are now allowing you to cancel 91 days before your sailing date. There after the refund is a schedule of combination of cash and future cruise credit totaling your final payment depending on when you cancel. You should talk to your T/A or Cunard for your personal situation. You can cancel up until 5 days before your scheduled departure

Edited by Bigmike911

I opened my claim before the change (which is good because a straight fee/insurance refund is better for me). Yes, I need to show both the original proof of payment and the final invoice showing the penalty charge. Will get my doctor to complete his form in the next few days, then I can submit.

I hope if a cruise is cancelled we can use to pay fcc for another cruise already booked. The site does say new bookings only as mentioned in this thread...

We have a couple in 2021 that have free grats and room upgrade. That sale is no longer on, would be unfair I feel to make us rebook..and loose what we have,,,,debating as our July 31st cruise payment is due April 2..I have no issues in paying, but don’t want to have to rebook to use and loose the benefit we already have,,,hoping that the cruise does not get cancelled, ....

On 3/15/2020 at 10:10 AM, Radar boomer said:

I hope if a cruise is cancelled we can use to pay fcc for another cruise already booked. The site does say new bookings only as mentioned in this thread...

We have a couple in 2021 that have free grats and room upgrade. That sale is no longer on, would be unfair I feel to make us rebook..and loose what we have,,,,debating as our July 31st cruise payment is due April 2..I have no issues in paying, but don’t want to have to rebook to use and loose the benefit we already have,,,hoping that the cruise does not get cancelled, ....

If you already have a booking for 2021, and you pay for your July 31st and cancel it, you cannot use the Future Cruise Deposit that you might receive for an already booked cruise. That is in the fine print of the cash and FCD policy announced by Cunard, and was confirmed to me this morning in a conference call between my Travel Agent and Cunard. I have booked the 22nd July crossing from Hamburg immediately before your crossing and if I pay on 24th March none of the FCD I would receive if I canceled would be useful to pay for my 2021 crossing. At the advice of my Agent, I will defer canceling until the 23rd of March to see what Cunard is going to do. 

• Like 1

If we do pay and cunard ends up cancelling do we have the option of full refund, ?

i think so, but have read so many posts not clear anymore. 🙂

as noted our other cruises are good deals so would not want to cancel then rebook and loose free grat, cabin upgrade. Etc...unless price went lower but right now the one for dec 2021 is already showing $500 more than we booked a few months ago.

15 hours ago, Radar boomer said:

If we do pay and cunard ends up cancelling do we have the option of full refund, ?

i think so, but have read so many posts not clear anymore. 🙂

as noted our other cruises are good deals so would not want to cancel then rebook and loose free grat, cabin upgrade. Etc...unless price went lower but right now the one for dec 2021 is already showing $500 more than we booked a few months ago.

It is my understanding that if Cunard cancels you can opt for a cash refund. But I also know that they are offering 'bonus' FCD if you take the FCD in the neighborhood of 25% So that means they will give you a value of 125% of your paid fare if you take the FCD, assuming there is a voyage between now and the end of 2021 you want and more ominously Cunard and Carnival survive the downturn.