CDC - US Citizens Should not Travel by Cruise Ship

hubofhockey

I just saw the US State Department advisory stating the same. Getting harder and harder to hang on to our cruise. Even though it’s not going through (current) hot spots. We are both of a vulnerable age and DH has underlying health conditions. May just not be worth the risk. Cruise not until June so still have some time.

Edited by Mackdogmolly
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

This is a tough one.

We are still planning Silversea Galapagos expedition cruise in late May.  

I do understand that cruise ships are breeding grounds for spreading disease, but with only 100 passengers, Silversea will be extra diligent.  I hope Azamara will be the same.

"Only 100 passangers"  How about the crew?  Ship docking in Oakland tomorrow has 18 crew members sick.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I just saw the US State Department advisory stating the same. Getting harder and harder to hang on to our cruise. Even though it’s not going through (current) hot spots. We are both of a vulnerable age and DH has underlying health conditions. May just not be worth the risk. Cruise not until June so still have some time.

Both the CDC and the State Department are issuing the same advisory not to travel on a cruise ship.  We are in the same position as you are, and are considering what to do about our April 5th cruise.

• Like 2

The chief health officer of Canada has advised all Canadians to avoid cruise ships until notified by the Cdn federal government.

This has played endlessly on Canadian media.

Further doctors and other subject matter experts have requested Canadians stay home during March break (next week) - so who knows the number of cruise cancellations there.

So it is not just the US government.

However, perhaps with consideration of the potential impact on the cruise industry, Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases said, “If you are a healthy young person, there is no reason if you want to go on a cruise ship, go on a cruise ship.”  Healthy and young may eliminate a big chunk of the cruising demographic, but it leaves room for common sense to prevail.

Companies that are bleeding cash start to cut expenses dramatically.  Just curious how do you think that will effect

the number of crew members on a cruise, the quality of the food and the entertainment?  I suspect that is exactly what is discussing in the boardroom of the cruise headquarters today.  

28 minutes ago, lasvegaswinner1 said:

Companies that are bleeding cash start to cut expenses dramatically.  Just curious how do you think that will effect

the number of crew members on a cruise, the quality of the food and the entertainment?  I suspect that is exactly what is discussing in the boardroom of the cruise headquarters today.  

I think that is most definitely a conversation for another day.

Phil

• Like 3