Is cancelling one in a cabin an option?

lcgvol

We have three booked in our balcony cabin currently.   My mother in law is 83 and may cancel due to the current Corona virus situation.  Does anyone know how this would be handled?  She is the third person and her rate is only $169 plus taxes/port charges for a total of around $300. I assume she would be refunded/given a FCC for this amount.  Would we be able to keep our original rates or would we be rebooked at the current rate for two in a cabin which is now higher?   We divided the total 3 ways and she paid $900, so we feel it would only be fair to give her $600 cash.  If we do this and are charged more for the cabin, it's more than we budgeted for.   

Has anyone had any experience with this?   I know I'll have to call at some point, just wondered what other people may have done.   Never in a million years would I have thought we'd be dealing with a situation like this.

48 minutes ago, lcgvol said:

We have three booked in our balcony cabin currently.   My mother in law is 83 and may cancel due to the current Corona virus situation.  Does anyone know how this would be handled?  She is the third person and her rate is only $169 plus taxes/port charges for a total of around $300. I assume she would be refunded/given a FCC for this amount.  Would we be able to keep our original rates or would we be rebooked at the current rate for two in a cabin which is now higher?   We divided the total 3 ways and she paid $900, so we feel it would only be fair to give her $600 cash.  If we do this and are charged more for the cabin, it's more than we budgeted for.   

Has anyone had any experience with this?   I know I'll have to call at some point, just wondered what other people may have done.   Never in a million years would I have thought we'd be dealing with a situation like this.

Under normal situations, the advice would be not to cancel her, just have her be the no show to prevent you from losing the 3 person balcony.  Under that situation, you would forfeit just the cruise fee of $169, the port fees and taxes would be refunded.

Under this situation, NO ONE can tell you for sure what Carnival will do.  

• Like 1

Call Carnival or your TA and cancel them under these current conditions your MIL should receive OBC for the third person rate plus refunded the taxes and port charges to the credit card used..

There are two issues here from my view. One, like others have already mentioned these are unique times right now with the coronavirus. Two, since you split the cabin total three ways including a lower fare for the third person, splitting the total fare for a cabin two ways will be higher, unless the rates significantly drop due to the current environment. 

I think your MIL is doing the right thing not going on the cruise, assuming that is what she ends up doing. Warnings related to the coronavirus consistently say the elderly and people with weakened immunity systems should avoid higher risk areas like a cruise ship. 

• Like 1

I have not yet spoken to my MIL  about the possibility of cancelling.  I'm afraid she will not want to cancel and go ahead with the cruise as planned.  She is very stubborn and it may take getting the other siblings and even her doctor involved.  I have done the math and if they reprice our rates to the current ones after cancelling her, it is going to cost us a lot more. I paid for almost the entire cruise(except the $50 pp deposit) with gift cards so I'll be giving her $900 cash.  I spoke with a travel agent today(different cruise) who told me it might be best to let her be a no show.  I'll give it another week or so before making a decision.  Thanks for the input, I'll post back when I have made a decision about what to do.  

1 hour ago, siestakeys04 said:

My daughter and her friends are sailing Thursday out of Charleston and one person cancelled out of their room. Carnival refunded about 160 and the rest future credit. So far they haven’t changed their cabin 

Thank you!!