Keeping Prices High to Use Up FCC

smogfarmgirl

Very interesting thread, highlighting the economic perspectives.  We are also wondering if we should cancel our 5 cruises on the Solstice, beginning March 20 in Sydney.  Looking at alternatives for next year......we would end up with 3 cruises instead of 5 with fewer and downgraded perks, from what we have now - to use up our credit.  So, less time, fewer perks.  The quandary, continue on or cancel now?!  We also have several non-refundable hotels booked and we still have to check the loss with United airfare.  We are CURRENTLY leaning toward forging ahead with our current plans and hoping for the best!   I know you all understand, we are all facing the same decisions - vacations aren't supposed to be stressful, but this is the way it is, and we are grateful that Celebrity has given us options.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, smogfarmgirl said:

So we are still leaning toward taking our 5 night Caribbean cruise in a couple weeks. If it gets cancelled that’s one thing, of course, but we are young and healthy. 

Here’s my complaint with X....we got a great deal on this cruise. $1950 total for Aquaclass and 3 perks. Looking through their site, prices are soooo high! For us to get anything close to what we have now would cost us an extra $1500 or so, which just can’t happen. Will they hold prices high to make it so people like us will end up with a junky room and no perks, but have to spend the money with X anyway??

Doesn't seem fair. 

I am in similar situation.  Got an incredible deal on a 5 night Caribbean in a couple weeks (same ship and time likely) and a number of perks.  I do also see current pricing is high. I have the identical concerns as you do.  Instead of a refund it's like getting a coupon to come back and spend more. And it expires...

The alternative is the cruise may be canceled and we would be refunded how we paid, which would be ideal for us as the consumer but I have questions about parent company liquidity and cash flow.  

@smogfarmgirl, I'm having a hard time understanding your issue. Most big ticket items are going to cost you more next year than what you paid when you bought them last year. And if you got "a great deal" on your existing purchase and are comparing its special sale price to next year's everyday price, there's certain to be sticker shock.

We too had an incredible deal for our Hawaiian cruise next month with a free upgrade from veranda to Aqua and all the perks. But when Celebrity gave me 100% return (30% refund, 70% FCC) when I cancelled under the forgiving Cruise With Confidence policy, I was very happy to get all that additional. The furthest thing from my mind was complaining about the fact that it will cost me more if I book the same cruise next year. 

As an FYI, we have the misfortune to have booked our first trip on the QM2 in May.  Unlike all other big lines,  Cunard is giving only 50% of the previously entitled FCC.  In our case, we paid about $4200.  We are at what used to be the 50% credit/50% FCC window.  But not with lowdown, sneaky, underhanded Cunard.  They are giving the 50% credit but only HALF of the FCC.  So, from my perspective they are giving back $2100, giving $1050 as the FCC and STEALING $1050.  Angry doesn’t begin to cover my feelings.  

23 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

@smogfarmgirl, I'm having a hard time understanding your issue. Most big ticket items are going to cost you more next year than what you paid when you bought them last year. And if you got "a great deal" on your existing purchase and are comparing its special sale price to next year's everyday price, there's certain to be sticker shock.

....The furthest thing from my mind was complaining about the fact that it will cost me more if I book the same cruise next year. 

I’m not looking at next year. I’m looking at May - September. And no, most big ticket items don’t nearly double in price every year. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

As an FYI, we have the misfortune to have booked our first trip on the QM2 in May.  Unlike all other big lines,  Cunard is giving only 50% of the previously entitled FCC.  In our case, we paid about $4200.  We are at what used to be the 50% credit/50% FCC window.  But not with lowdown, sneaky, underhanded Cunard.  They are giving the 50% credit but only HALF of the FCC.  So, from my perspective they are giving back $2100, giving $1050 as the FCC and STEALING $1050.  Angry doesn’t begin to cover my feelings.  

That’s terrible! Hopefully they don’t raise prices too, and make your FCC worth even less!

Edited by smogfarmgirl

17 minutes ago, smogfarmgirl said:

I’m not looking at next year. I’m looking at May - September. And no, most big ticket items don’t nearly double in price every year. 

Actually, a lot of big ticket items can be purchased at 50% off during big sales. As for cruises, pricing on all lines have large fluctuations. This isn't restricted to Celebrity, and has nothing to do with COVID-19. The only thing that has changed is that Celebrity is now offering you FCC to cover what would otherwise have been lost had you cancelled. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth! 

I think the OP might be on to something.

First, I want to state for the record that I consider Cruise with Confidence to be a generous offer from the cruise line. 48-hour cancellation notice is a generous perk.

Having said that, I noticed my cruise for April 2021 is the most expensive it has ever been. Perhaps the cancellations are creating an artificial bump in demand for cruises further in the future. If ships are filling up far into the future, that would probably trigger Celebrity's pricing algorithms to respond with an increase.

• Thanks 1