Prices holding steady. What will happen tomorrow?

JamieLogical

8 minutes ago, brovol said:

Thinking out loud here, and this isnt even to the level of "speculation"; but could it be possible that the cruise companies are readying themselves for a potential insurance claim to cover their losses caused by the virus?  Put pricing back to pre-discounted rates, so the claim amount is more substantial?  Again, no insight here, just theorizing on strategy.

Insurance companies are no dummies.  I'm sure, given the $$ at stake, they know the industry and dynamic pricing.  Chances are the value of any claim is based on lost revenue based on average price over some specific time window, or even the value of actual lost bookings.  I doubt very, very much it's based on a single point in time, or even on pricing AFTER a "known event" just like we can't get travel insurance for coronavirus after 1/20 because it's a known event.

Sailing on the Joy 3/22.  Did a few mock bookings this morning and both Haven and Concierge have rooms available today when yesterday both were sold out.  Our category (mini-suite with large balcony) is holding at 5 rooms still.  Didn't go down the line much further than that, but prices in the lower categories are up from yesterday.  So much movement right now.  I anticipate looking again closer to the 48 hour window to see where we're at.  I only hope that since we made the decision to cruise, NCL won't cancel for lack of travelers!  Does anyone have any clue what the percentage of cabins need to be full in order to make sense for them to sail?

45 minutes ago, parmus said:

Sailing on the Joy 3/22.  Did a few mock bookings this morning and both Haven and Concierge have rooms available today when yesterday both were sold out.  Our category (mini-suite with large balcony) is holding at 5 rooms still.  Didn't go down the line much further than that, but prices in the lower categories are up from yesterday.  So much movement right now.  I anticipate looking again closer to the 48 hour window to see where we're at.  I only hope that since we made the decision to cruise, NCL won't cancel for lack of travelers!  Does anyone have any clue what the percentage of cabins need to be full in order to make sense for them to sail?

How do you know how many cabins are left? I can’t find out?

5 minutes ago, parmus said:

I did mock bookings.  Like I was going to book a new cruise.

That's really the only way to do it. Some TA sites will let you see more than 15 cabins in any given category (unlike NCL's site), but you still have to manually click into each category as if you plan to book and count up the number of available cabins.

36 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

That's really the only way to do it. Some TA sites will let you see more than 15 cabins in any given category (unlike NCL's site), but you still have to manually click into each category as if you plan to book and count up the number of available cabins.

Awe. Gotcha. Ok I get it lol

So I've checked inventory on my 3/15 and 3/22 Bliss sailings a couple of times today. On Friday, my 3/15 sailing had 12 rooms remaining. Yesterday it was up to 17. At 8:30am today it was up to 44. It is now up to 250.

For my 3/22 sailing, the cancellations have been a bit slower, which you would expect since it's a week further out. On Friday there were 128 rooms remaining. Yesterday it was DOWN to 83. At 8:30am today it was up to 90. It is now up to 212.

Really, when you consider how many cabins there are (2043), it's not a huge percentage canceling so far. I am not sure the ship will feel "empty" if say 15% of the cabins are unoccupied.

Edited by JamieLogical

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Can u message me the sites

5 minutes ago, Susandt said:

Can u message me the sites

There's no way to private message people on Cruise Critic and we aren't allowed to mention TA sites by name, but I can tell you that Revelex is the search engine used by TA sites that shows more than 15 rooms per category. So if you can google around and find a TA site using Revelex, you should find what you are looking for.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

So I've checked inventory on my 3/15 and 3/22 Bliss sailings a couple of times today. On Friday, my 3/15 sailing had 12 rooms remaining. Yesterday it was up to 17. At 8:30am today it was up to 44. It is now up to 250.

For my 3/22 sailing, the cancellations have been a bit slower, which you would expect since it's a week further out. On Friday there were 128 rooms remaining. Yesterday it was DOWN to 83. At 8:30am today it was up to 90. It is now up to 212.

Really, when you consider how many cabins there are (2043), it's not a huge percentage canceling so far. I am not sure the ship will feel "empty" if say 15% of the cabins are unoccupied.

Interesting. I just did the search myself, just to see what it's like... found the pros, if that's who you use?  See your Bliss is up to 270 now available - maybe you'll score a haven upgrade?

Also- I think the reduced number of cruisers is probably going to be similar to some of the inaugural trans-atlantic sailings. If you look for Doug-Outs postings on them, it may show the type of environment and crowds, although- it's spring break, so may be a bit rowdier than the ta's.

Enjoy!