Celebrity no longer issuing partial refunds...

dani negreanu

1 hour ago, ABZCRUISE said:

We are due to pay final balance next month on 2 cabins - am i correct in assuming if we cancel, we will receive a FCC for our NRD's and new FCC for the FCC we were already using towards this booking?

I have read many posts from folks that said they lost a cruise credit that was applied to a cruise they cancelled under cruise with confidence. They communicated Celebrity said it was considered redeemed.

5 minutes ago, ABZCRUISE said:

Thanks

That was my understanding.

Having read the terms thoroughly again, I think we would lose the NRD's.

We would only get them as part of FCC if we paid in full & then cancelled.

I believe RCL modified their policy so people didn't lose their FCC. Seems like an argument could be made with Celebrity based on that info.

1 minute ago, Hllb said:

I believe RCL modified their policy so people didn't lose their FCC. Seems like an argument could be made with Celebrity based on that info.

I don't see this info on their site, so all I know is that someone said it on posts here.

So although we will wait until the last minute, I think we have decided to forfeit our deposits and cancel without paying the balance...

It is a gamble as a lot could change by July, but -

A FFC for £10k if we pay & then cancel.....what if Celebrity go bust - I paid & cancelled so FFC is contract between me & celebrity, so I doubt would be covered by any insurance or credit cards.

Just checked the same cruise for July 2021. - same perks, cabins the lot...... + 30% on what I paid & would get for FFC 

8 minutes ago, dorakk said:

Off topic...is it normal for agent to charge us for cancelling under the "cruise with confidence" policy?

Our agent wants to charge us $50pp for cancelling our May cruise for FCC.

Some TAs have cancellation fees. Check your original receipt from them and check their online policies.

1 minute ago, Hllb said:

Some TAs have cancellation fees. Check your original receipt from them and check their online policies.

Thanks for the response.  Yea...the original TC mentioned about cancellation fee, but I didn't expect them to charge cancellation fee in the current circumstances.

This is not a "change of mind" scenario, it's more because of an epidemic and govt advisory.

11 minutes ago, dorakk said:

Thanks for the response.  Yea...the original TC mentioned about cancellation fee, but I didn't expect them to charge cancellation fee in the current circumstances.

This is not a "change of mind" scenario, it's more because of an epidemic and govt advisory.

The TA has done all the work to book the cruise for you, and now has to do the work to cancel. Meantime, the TA loses the payment it would have received from Celebrity because you've chosen to cancel. So why should the TA be out of pocket and not you, as agreed under the T&C? If you have travel insurance, you may be able to recover the cancellation fee.

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The TA has done all the work to book the cruise for you, and now has to do the work to cancel. Meantime, the TA loses the payment it would have received from Celebrity because you've chosen to cancel. So why should the TA be out of pocket and not you, as agreed under the T&C? If you have travel insurance, you may be able to recover the cancellation fee.

I understand that TA put in lots of work for booking our cruise, I am just naive to think that the cruise line will still reward them some commission as a gesture, even if the reservation is cancelled.  

Many companies (entertainment and travel industries mainly) are being affected as a result of this virus, but most of them aren't charging their customers for cancellation / change of plan.   

This is decent customer service which encourage return business.

While TA has legit reasons to offload their loss to customers, I just don't think this is "good customer service" principal.

Haven't really check with our insurance company yet, some online sources said insurance company won't cover it because it is a epidemic.  I will need to crave out a few hours of time to contact our insurance company.

4 minutes ago, dorakk said:

Many companies (entertainment and travel industries mainly) are being affected as a result of this virus, but most of them aren't charging their customers for cancellation / change of plan.   

And many TA's don't charge cancellation fees. We've cancelled two cruises within the past 9 months and paid zero cancellation fees. 

Maybe some of the TA's who post here can comment on still getting a commission after a cancellation, but everything I've read suggests that no cruise=no commission.

Okay so two related questions here...

1) is everyone thinking about this as balancing between cancelling now and (potentially) getting some amount refunded and rest as FCC vs. banking on them cancelling in which case we'd get all of it back? Obvi depends on the sail date but for example i am slated for 4/23 APEX and am definitely not going. But, I'm betting they're going to cancel and / or enough travel restrictions are put in place, as the virus gets worse, such that they have to refund us

2) I'm not clear why / how they can give 100% as FCC - it literally still says the following on their site: Essentially, Cruise with Confidence means that guests who cancel their cruise for sailings departing up until 7/31/2020 can do so for ANY reason as late as 48 hours before sailing and get a 100% Future Cruise Credit (good until 12/31/2021) for the full amount in penalty.

If they told me it would be 100% as opposed to 75%, I'd just point this out on their own website and ask them to give it as 25/75?

51 minutes ago, adidazzz said:

Okay so two related questions here...

1) is everyone thinking about this as balancing between cancelling now and (potentially) getting some amount refunded and rest as FCC vs. banking on them cancelling in which case we'd get all of it back? Obvi depends on the sail date but for example i am slated for 4/23 APEX and am definitely not going. But, I'm betting they're going to cancel and / or enough travel restrictions are put in place, as the virus gets worse, such that they have to refund us

2) I'm not clear why / how they can give 100% as FCC - it literally still says the following on their site: Essentially, Cruise with Confidence means that guests who cancel their cruise for sailings departing up until 7/31/2020 can do so for ANY reason as late as 48 hours before sailing and get a 100% Future Cruise Credit (good until 12/31/2021) for the full amount in penalty.

If they told me it would be 100% as opposed to 75%, I'd just point this out on their own website and ask them to give it as 25/75?

Yeah I’m on the same boat for #1.  Our sailing is May, debating whether to wait for better cancellation terms or cancel now.

2 hours ago, dorakk said:

Good Afternoon  --  not sure if you have used the same TA...

Ours did charge the $50 / person cancellation fee

In alignment w/ the cruise line policy - they are providing a voucher for the same amount.
The way I take it - they are hoping to provide us incentive to book w/ them - when it's time to redeem the FCC...

Not sure if it makes any difference to this specific discussion - we paid in full months ago, cancelled yesterday & were scheduled to cruise this Sunday, 03/15, from Santiago/San Antonio Chile...

Unfortunately for us, I have a commitment I could not miss upon our return. 

We couldn't take the risk that the Eclipse would not be able to disembark in San Diego as planned &/or be placed in quarantine...

Hi 

I’m based in Ireland and have a booking for the Apex sailing from Rome on the 27th June. My final payment date has been extended to April 30th  (57 days) I have not paid in full yet.

I went to my travel agent yesterday who told me that there is no offer of a cash refund to me if I cancel now. They say if I cancel under Cruise With Confidence I will get what I’ve paid so far in FCC: I have read on some other thread here that if one cancels before final payment date that I would get a full cash refund.? Can anyon e clarify this.?  I believe this cruise and many others won’t happen anyway  but I don’t know am I prepared to pay in full and get FCC for the lot. I would be very nervous about cruise companies surviving this great challenge.

As other people have said the prices of cruises have increased a lot over what I was paying for my present cruise. I do feel sorry for Celebrity and all those associated with the travel industry as all of this is unprecedented . Difficult times for all. 

1 minute ago, Fun lovin said:

Hi 

I’m based in Ireland and have a booking for the Apex sailing from Rome on the 27th June. My final payment date has been extended to April 30th  (57 days) I have not paid in full yet.

I went to my travel agent yesterday who told me that there is no offer of a cash refund to me if I cancel now. They say if I cancel under Cruise With Confidence I will get what I’ve paid so far in FCC: I have read on some other thread here that if one cancels before final payment date that I would get a full cash refund.? Can anyon e clarify this.?  I believe this cruise and many others won’t happen anyway  but I don’t know am I prepared to pay in full and get FCC for the lot. I would be very nervous about cruise companies surviving this great challenge.

As other people have said the prices of cruises have increased a lot over what I was paying for my present cruise. I do feel sorry for Celebrity and all those associated with the travel industry as all of this is unprecedented . Difficult times for all. 

I am US based so not sure what applies to you. But since you haven’t made final payment yet, you are only risking your deposit. If you have a non-refundable deposit, the normal policy would be you lose $100 per person as a penalty and the rest of your deposit would go to a future cruise credit. Under cruise with confidence, they are giving it all back to you in a future cruise credit instead of keeping the penalty fee. It’s a better deal and with a non-refundable deposit you would never get it back in cash.

if you had a refundable deposit, you should be able to get that back.

4 minutes ago, Hllb said:

I am US based so not sure what applies to you. But since you haven’t made final payment yet, you are only risking your deposit. If you have a non-refundable deposit, the normal policy would be you lose $100 per person as a penalty and the rest of your deposit would go to a future cruise credit. Under cruise with confidence, they are giving it all back to you in a future cruise credit instead of keeping the penalty fee. It’s a better deal and with a non-refundable deposit you would never get it back in cash.

if you had a refundable deposit, you should be able to get that back.

Thank you for your reply - because I had booked my flights through Celebrity as well - I have paid approx €1300  and my understanding from the TA is I would lose all of this if I cancel now but by cancelling under Cruise With Confidence I’ll get this in FCC so I suppose it makes sense if I cancel under the terms of Cruise With Credit: my next decision is whether I wait until end of April nearing final Payment to cancel or should I do so now in case Celebrity change the t/c of Cruise With Confidence,!  

I was sooo looking forward to my cruise on the Apex! One wonders will they have to postpone her med sailings- not looking good for her Italian and Spanish ports! 

9 hours ago, landlocked406 said:

Can you update us on what your results were, please?

Just got credited back on my credit card today.  I am at the 25% penalty period. 

Timeline:

Filled out Costco Travel cancellation forms on 3/8 (Sunday)

Cancelled 3/9 (Monday) Shown as cruise cancelled on celebrity website

Refunded back to credit card 3/12 (Thursday)

Total cruise price: 2 cabins x $3666 ($500 was deposit) = $7332

Refund to credit card = 2 x $3007 = $6014

Have not see FCC show up on our Captain's club accounts yet.  Not sure what they are going to do with my son's FCC.  He is too young to have an account.  Wonder if they would just create one for him even though he is under 18.

Edited by lostchild
  • Thanks 1