Just curious....

ICANTWAITTOCRUISE

We have a back to back cruise scheduled in a few weeks on the Edge. We are not super frequent cruisers and like probably most cruisers it is a big deal and we have spent months planning and looking forward to it. Though we haven't cancelled yet (and hoping Celebrity does so we can get a full refund/apologies in advance to those who don't feel that way) I feel that there is a 99.5% chance we will cancel.

My reasons are fear of quarantine, and fear of bringing it back to my job and elderly family members who  I cannot stay away from as I help care for my mom. My main reason though is that I would be worried the whole time about all of the above! Anyway, obviously we won't be going unless something were to drastically change (Like I wake up and this was all a bad dream).

I am curious if those of you who will not cancel are concerned about any of this or just have life situations where it is not an issue? Is anyone planning on practicing self quarantine upon return and how?

I am curious as to how those of you who are going are coming to the conclusion that you still want to?

35 minutes ago, ICANTWAITTOCRUISE said:

I am curious as to how those of you who are going are coming to the conclusion that you still want to?

Cancelling was never a conclusion or consideration for us. We haven't given cancelling a second thought. We are just as excited for our B2B cruise on the Summit 28 March and 4 April as any of our previous cruises. We will employ the same precautions as we always have and do in our everyday lives. We stopped shaking hands and high fiving years ago. Now we no longer will be doing fist bumps and giving friendly hugs. If Celebrity cancels our cruises so be it. If not, Bon Voyage. 🥂 We also have land trips planned for this year that require flights, hotels, restaurants, rental cars and etc. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ICANTWAITTOCRUISE said:

We have a back to back cruise scheduled in a few weeks on the Edge. We are not super frequent cruisers and like probably most cruisers it is a big deal and we have spent months planning and looking forward to it. Though we haven't cancelled yet (and hoping Celebrity does so we can get a full refund/apologies in advance to those who don't feel that way) I feel that there is a 99.5% chance we will cancel.

My reasons are fear of quarantine, and fear of bringing it back to my job and elderly family members who  I cannot stay away from as I help care for my mom. My main reason though is that I would be worried the whole time about all of the above! Anyway, obviously we won't be going unless something were to drastically change (Like I wake up and this was all a bad dream).

I am curious if those of you who will not cancel are concerned about any of this or just have life situations where it is not an issue? Is anyone planning on practicing self quarantine upon return and how?

We are under 60 and even IF we were healthy and thought we were at low risk from this virus, we have no idea how our bodies will respond, and we ultimately decided it was socially irresponsible to take a cruise, when all US medical and CDC sources are advising that cruising is a high risk activity for us and others. 

We would be gutted if we killed a neighborhood, parent or grandparent because we wanted to swim in the Caribbean. The Caribbean will be there next winter.  Good luck to everyone who is making a different decision.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The decision Isa personal one and we each need to access our physical condition and risk factors. 

im at the airport on the way to FLL.  In our case our parents are gone, kids all out on their own and retired so no hurry to get home. 

We are washing frequently and sanatizing. 

• Like 2

Not looking to argue or debate those who are going ahead and wish them safe and happy travels.  That is their right and choice as long as  the cruise line is a going ahead with the trip... and they are willing to assume the personal risk, But there's another valid point of view as well.

I agree  with sunNfunCruzer, above and  zook50 ( post 14 or 15 at link) because this is a  Global Community problem.  If I get sick, others might as a result. We  had many of the same concerns as the OP here, which is why we cancelled.

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

We would be gutted if we killed a neighborhood, parent or grandparent because we wanted to swim in the Caribbean. The Caribbean will be there next winter.  Good luck to everyone who is making a different decision

To be clear, we are talking about other people's parents as well as our own.  Your Uber/Lyft/Cab driver can have a toddler or 10 year old at home.  According to reports from around the world, you can be a carrier and even a super-carrier and not even know you are infected.  30 and 40 year-olds can be cancer survivors or have diabetes... you have no idea looking at someone how vulnerable they are.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.  My vacation can wait a year so that I don't put a person or community at risk.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

To be clear, we are talking about other people's parents as well as our own.  Your Uber/Lyft/Cab driver can have a toddler or 10 year old at home.  According to reports from around the world, you can be a carrier and even a super-carrier and not even know you are infected.  30 and 40 year-olds can be cancer survivors or have diabetes... you have no idea looking at someone how vulnerable they are.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.  My vacation can wait a year so that I don't put a person or community at risk.

So what if a healthy 40 year old couple,  drive themselves to the port in their own vehicle, then self-quarantines for two weeks once they return home?  

5 minutes ago, CaptCrunch said:

So what if a healthy 40 year old couple,  drive themselves to the port in their own vehicle, then self-quarantines for two weeks once they return home?  

How would such a 40 year old couple get on and off the ship?  And, what if that 40 year old couple brought the virus onboard, gave it to their cabin steward, who then spreads it to the other cabins with parents of eight month old twins?  Is that something that would make the average person proud?  Is that a risk worth taking?, when you can get a FCC from most cruiselines?  Any person can be part of the couple who brings it on, or takes it off.

As the US President said today at his 3PM press conference:  "anyone can be a carrier for the virus."

Edited by SunNFunCruzer
  • Like 2

Just now, SunNFunCruzer said:

How would such a 40 year old couple get on and off the ship?  And, what if that 40 year old couple brought the virus onboard, gave it to their cabin steward, who then spreads it to the other cabins with parents of eight month old twins?  Is that someone that would make the average person proud?  Is that a risk worth taking, when you can get a FCC from most cruiselines.  Any person can be part of the couple who brings it on, or takes it off.

As the US President said today at his 3PM press conference:  "anyone can be a carrier for the virus."

I only brought that up because this is part of the ongoing discussion in this household, but I'm on your side really.  I honestly don't think it's worth the risk; but my brain keeps going in circles pondering how to "make it work".  

• Like 2

I may be in the minority but I appreciate Celebrity, RCCL, NCL, Carnival, etc, etc, ALL the Cruiselines that did the socially responsible thing.

Whether the US will bail them out or not,  in the coming days I believe you will be reading about more and more people that authorities suspect have been infected on a cruiseship.    Taking a break from sailing was the right thing for these Corporations to do, and in the end, taking these short term losses, may save them in the long run.

• Thanks 1