Summit 4/11/2020 Canceled/ NOT!!!

maxydu

After the announcement yesterday of the 30 day time out, Celebrity posted a list of cancellations which included the Celebrity Summit sailing

of April 11, 2020 from San Juan. After seeing the post on this site and Celebrity's site, I contacted Flights by Celebrity who acknowledged that

the sailing was cancelled and they refunded my airfare back to my credit card. 

This morning I start seeing posts on cruise critic that the sailing is in fact NOT Cancelled. Cruises will resume on April 11. I pulled up the Celebrity site and sure enough

there was a NEW list of cancellations that didn't include my trip. So, we already cancelled our airline tickets, cancelled the dog sitter, and accepted the fact that we would either get

a full refund or 125% future cruise certificate.....Soooooo, at 7:00am this morning I called Celebrity and explained the dilemma. I was working with a very nice rep who understood and asked that I send him the "screen shots" of the original list of cancellations which included my trip and I did so. After being on hold for quite sometime, the rep told me that he had to wait

until the Resolutions Desk opens at 9am for resolution. At first the resolution desk said they can't help in any way because my screen shots came from Cruise Critic which was not accurate. It was from their site. I told them that their Rep with Flights by Celebrity confirmed the original cancellation and refunded my air fee's. Due to that revelation they agreed to refund my full cruise fare. I said wait a minute, I'd rather have the 125% future cruise certificate as originally offered but they refused to honor that portion. My only remedy was to accept the return of the fares.......

I then asked, what happens if the April 11 cruise is cancelled at a later date; can I then get the 125% future certificate? They said they can't respond to "what if's".....

In conclusion, I feel that I was not given a choice of remedies based on what they called "a mistake" by originally listing my cruise as cancelled. This was going to be my first

cruise on Celebrity after 15 cruises with CCL. I guess I'll look elsewhere where maybe customer service has some integrity.......

We are sailing April 25 on Summit and right now would get 100% FCC, my preference is cash, I’m actually hoping the 30 day no sail is extended.  I did get my money back from airline.

In your situation, I feel 100% cash is better than 125% FCC.  You are not restricted to Celebrity or a fixed date to use.

• Like 1

I have a  client who is booked with her family and is scheduled to depart on Rhapsody on 4/11/20.  This too has not been canceled.  However, because of the schools shutting down now, she no longer has this vacation time as she works for the school department.  She will cancel, but we are holding tight and have not canceled yet and choosing to wait a bit to see if the canceled cruise calendar gets extended.

I would think you would be happy with the outcome as you got your money back for all expenses.  Your complaint at this point is that you didn't get an additional 25% toward a future cruise.  Trying to wrap my head around it.  In light of everything, I am 1. surprised you were actually able to speak with a Celebrity rep. and 2. that you got what most would call a favorable outcome.  Wonder what CCL would have offered to top Celebrity?

It is pretty crazy to take 125% FCC instead of 100% cash refund.   You know that they will or have ready increase(d) the rate for every sailings until end of 2021 by probably much more than 25%.   All these people with FCC have to spend it by end of 2021... even if they don't artificially increase the rate... the demand will do it for them.

• Like 1

Friday evening I too saw my April 11th Infinity cruise on the list of cancelled cruises on Celebrity's web site.  Bummed as I was, I decided to wait until the next day to cancel flight and hotel.  Saturday morning, I still had not received official notification that my cruise was cancelled so went back to the celebrity web site and lo and behold, my cruise was no longer on the list. So for now I'm still sailing and glad i didn't jump the gun and cancel everything else ....  never know though ... the suspension could be extended.  Fingers crossed...

58 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I would think you would be happy with the outcome as you got your money back for all expenses.  Your complaint at this point is that you didn't get an additional 25% toward a future cruise.  Trying to wrap my head around it.  In light of everything, I am 1. surprised you were actually able to speak with a Celebrity rep. and 2. that you got what most would call a favorable outcome.  Wonder what CCL would have offered to top Celebrity?

Funny you should ask.....

Carnival is offering either full cash refund or $600 OBC per cabin and you can redeem until 12/2022.....

I was on hold for almost 2 hours due to THEIR error and then they did not permit the remedy that THEY, not I offered. 

I am thankful for the refund but it was a lot of trouble for the error in listing my cruise as one that was cancelled. 

59 minutes ago, lostchild said:

It is pretty crazy to take 125% FCC instead of 100% cash refund.   You know that they will or have ready increase(d) the rate for every sailings until end of 2021 by probably much more than 25%.   All these people with FCC have to spend it by end of 2021... even if they don't artificially increase the rate... the demand will do it for them.

Very good points! When I wrote my original thread it was after being on hold for approx 2 hours, being told that my screen shots were invalid, and having to argue that one of their reps from Flights by Celebrity concurred that the cruise was cancelled and refunded my airfare. Had THEY not erred by listing my cruise as cancelled I would not have had to jump through many hoops.

The worst being cancelling the dog sitter who had a second client on stand by in case her original booking fell through who she already contacted and agreed to sit. 

As my emotions leveled, I am thankful that I am going to receive my money back and I will be able to choose who what and where I want to spend my cruise dollars with. If Celebrity offers a promotion like the one I booked this cruise on, I will probably

book with them again......

18 minutes ago, maxydu said:

Funny you should ask.....

Carnival is offering either full cash refund or $600 OBC per cabin and you can redeem until 12/2022.....

I was on hold for almost 2 hours due to THEIR error and then they did not permit the remedy that THEY, not I offered. 

I am thankful for the refund but it was a lot of trouble for the error in listing my cruise as one that was cancelled. 

Wow!  Good for CCL.  That's really good to know!  I don't usually sail Carnival, although I have in the past.  Interesting how each of the cruise companies are/will react to both the crisis and it's aftermath.

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wow!  Good for CCL.  That's really good to know!  I don't usually sail Carnival, although I have in the past.  Interesting how each of the cruise companies are/will react to both the crisis and it's aftermath.

It's not just Carnival but I think the cruiselines they own.

If you were booked to sail Holland America in the next few days they are giving 100% refund AND 100% future cruise credit.  

• Like 1