100% penalty on cancellation

fuzfoz

We cancelled our cruise on the Merigaviia for March 1st to March 8th because we feared catching the Corona or the flu. The previous cruise had a scare and were not able to stop at most ports. We were penalized 100% for about $1500 lost. They were supposed to return the taxes of $284 but even managed to screw that up by returning $219.26. I've tried to contact them about the $64.74 they still owe me by am on hold for hours. Even my travel agent can't get through. I will never sail MSC again. Their ships are beautiful but everything else sucks.

This is why I said long ago that MSC was going to be challenging to deal with through this 'crisis'. A few things that may help, first I would recommend giving MSC several weeks to get their phone lines manageable. I may also recommend you mention that the March 1-8 cruise had the virus on-board. That may be a leverage tool.  I know this is difficult, but in the grand scheme of things, considering what has happened with the March 1 Mera cruise, I hope you feel comforted knowing you absolutely made the right decision. Best to you

1 hour ago, fuzfoz said:

Their ships are beautiful but everything else sucks.

I'm sorry to hear that you missed your cruise. I know first hand how that feels having my April cruise cancelled. I've been looking forward to this for almost a year. You mention that everything else sucks, but you only list the one issue surrounding a dispute on the amount of refund for your taxes. Did MSC cause you other grief as well?

On 3/14/2020 at 11:53 AM, jeepfan2006 said:

I'm sorry to hear that you missed your cruise. I know first hand how that feels having my April cruise cancelled. I've been looking forward to this for almost a year. You mention that everything else sucks, but you only list the one issue surrounding a dispute on the amount of refund for your taxes. Did MSC cause you other grief as well?

OP posted,that they cancelled their cruise due to fears related to virus reported onboard. Unfortunately, MSC did not offer ability to cancel without penalty until March 10.

they lost all cruise fare except for a portion(not complete) of taxes.

I would recommend OP locate online form from MSC and fill in their cruise information including booking #.  Under comments, mention your cruiseship had reports of virus and you are now requesting FCC for use as this should have been offered beginning of March.

worth a try.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phissy said:

OP posted,that they cancelled their cruise due to fears related to virus reported onboard. Unfortunately, MSC did not offer ability to cancel without penalty until March 10.

they lost all cruise fare except for a portion(not complete) of taxes.

I would recommend OP locate online form from MSC and fill in their cruise information including booking #.  Under comments, mention your cruiseship had reports of virus and you are now requesting FCC for use as this should have been offered beginning of March.

worth a try.

Thank you, but that was the one detail I was clear on. What was unclear to me is what OP meant by "every thing else sucks" about MSC. I was wondering if OP thinks MSC sucks because of the virus.

I assume that “everything else sucks” refers to MSC customer service. They do have a reputation of  outdated information on site and inability to reach CS by phone. Even if one is able to contact MSC by phone, poor training has resulted in inaccurate information given to customers. This is why we encourage HUCA when dealing with MSC.  Many have reported frustration in dealing with MSC USA. They still are not up to speed in dealing with customers demands and questions. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was surfing looking for the Feb. 24 Meraviglia cruise and came across this.

Just to fill you in. We were on the cruise the week before you. One member of the crew from the Philippines got on the boat in Miami the same day we did. We were all screened for a fever by infra red cameras. We passed and so did he. The next day he came down with the regular Type A Influenza. Not Coronavirus.

They reported this to the Jamaican authorities, as they need to by law, and the Jamaicans refused us entry. We left and set sail to Grand Cayman and the Captain announced that we would all get $100/state room credit for out inconvenience. We didn't even stop in Grand Cayman and the Captain again announced $100/state room credit for our inconvenience. He than added that we would get 30% off this cruise and 20% off a future cruise. He said that we would head to Cozumel directly and that they would accept us. When we got there people were protesting on the dock to have us refused entry. The captain eventually said that we would get all that he had already promised plus 100% off of this cruise fare. I have a letter that said they would refund us within 30 days (from Mar. 1/20)  They got someone from the Yucatan medical board to check the guy out and 12 hours later they said that he just had the regular flu. We stayed an extra day in Cozumel and then had a sea day before getting off in Miami. 

From what I had heard, your cruise never sailed at all. 

We are still waiting to get any refund. I have called MSC Canada and the girl on the phone said to wait 60 - 90 days. I am not optomistic. 

Good luck

Caledonia boy

I was on the Seaside the week following @Caledonia Boy on that same itinerary.  Ocho Rios denied us just long enough for all excursions to be canceled, but outside of that, the sailing went off without a hitch.

I mean, I'm sorry that OP felt worried enough that they decided to cancel the cruise, but there is very explicit language in the contract you sign when booking that if you cancel after final payment has been made, you forfeit the entire payment.  The only way to get any kind of reimbursement at that point is to have and use your Travel Insurance to recoup some of that cost.  And even then, being worried about the possibility of getting sick is generally not one of the covered criteria.

Now, I get some frustration that about 2 weeks later everything was shut down and FCCs and refunds were issued, but those were for sailings that were not going to happen, and have not happened.  OPs ship sailed.  All other lines were still sailing.  No other line was offering refunds or FCCs at that point.  Quite frankly, expecting a reimbursement for your own decision to cancel at that point is probably asking too much.  You're pretty much hosed by the contract you signed and submitted, especially when the ship did sail on time.

And yes, the Meraviglia sailed on March 1st.  She actually left Miami around 6pm, a little earlier than normal and was supposedly at around 80% capacity.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:18 PM, fuzfoz said:

Their ships are beautiful but everything else sucks.

Can you specify how the food, service, entertainment and staff on the ship sucks? Was the bed too hard or too soft? Long lines to get on and off the ship? Was the pooldeck too crowded?

I'm sorry that your experience onboard was so bad.

Best advice is AVOID MSC Cruises.  Just take a snapshot of their reviews.  Their poor rating SHOUTS out that they have problems......problems........problems.   We will never cruise MSC again, great staff managed by plain idiots.

Edited by mickey89
  • Like 1