Captain Albert

JeffElizabeth

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

That. Except with a cruise ship it would be a bit difficult to walk from one to another.

I've seen it done with river ships i.e. on the Amazon in Brazil. Never seen or heard of it done with active cruise ships

8 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So probably a dumb question, but that has never stopped me.🤪

Can cruise ships “raft” at a dock?

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I think in addition most cruise ships are more oval than rectangular making tying up together quite difficult.

Roy

The large flat sides of cruise ships would lead to rafting, except for the dearth of large rubber fenders to keep them from rubbing together.  Those who have seen the river boats raft, or who operate small boats, know about the small inflated rubber "bumpers" that are used to keep boats apart, well, because a large ship is much taller, and this means it can lean further, so the fenders have to be significantly larger, about 10 feet long and 6 feet in diameter.  Even then, if the ships were from different companies, they would not want to accept the liability of acting as a "dock" for another ship

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Captain's blog has been very interesting in these pandemic times. Glad to see Puerto Vallarta be so hospitable to empty cruise ships. I can see that ships will have to rotate their dock assignments.  Albert said the Rotterdam was planning to go out this evening to "exercise" their engines. 

2 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

.............................. Albert said the Rotterdam was planning to go out this evening to "exercise" their engines. 

That was Thursday evening. She returned Fri morning and has been back at Muelle No. 1 (Berth #1) ever since. Hapag lloyd's Europa has arrived in PV and is at Muelle No. 2, as has NCL's Norwegian Joy which is at Muelle No. 3

Maybe I can post this photo of 3 ships in Puerto Vallarta Friday night, made by a local newspaper

20 mrt 3.jpg

Edited by Ine
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Ine said:

Maybe I can post this photo of 3 ships in Puerto Vallarta Friday night, made by a local newspaper

20 mrt 3.jpg

Nice pic! It'll be interesting to see when Eurodam, currently off Baja California Sur, arrives on the 24th at 0800. Never seen cruise ships anchored off PV 

Edited by Copper10-8

56 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Nice pic! It'll be interesting to see when Eurodam, currently off Baja California Sur, arrives on the 24th at 0800. Never seen cruise ships anchored off PV 

Eurodam will very likely be able to dock since Europa left again this morning. Probably sailing to Germany without passengers as they disembarked and already  few back to Germany.

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2020 at 10:37 AM, tommui987 said:

for the longest whil, I coud not figure why the Westie was going to Vallarta from Hawaii rather than a (cmparative) straight line to LAX< SFO, or SEA

Then the lighrt dawned - the Jones Act - a foreign registered ship cannot carry passengers from a US port to s US port.

Westerdam was originally sailing from Honolulu to Juneau to prepare for Alaska season. Was announced that some crew would leave from HNL to fly home.  They had no passengers so would not be carrying passengers between US ports and likely not violating PVSA.

Westerdam was going to sail from Vancouver to Alaska.  Due to the Canada embargo until July and uncertainty I'm guessing HAL decided to send her to PV. PV is probably a lot cheaper for docking than Vancouver or US port.