for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

23 hours ago, Lois R said:

IMG-20240702-WA0101.thumb.jpg.92bdac458c06c1a3b9eadfb8932ae395.jpg

Elk wearing velvet - beautiful!  It's that time of year where all the antler'd animals still have the velvet on their antlers.  Someone here in town got a shot of a moose in velvet yesterday.  It brings another level of majesty to these animals.

I hope you had a fantastic time on your land trip!  You picked a great place and got some of our best weather.  Sorry you creaked up your neck, though.  Give it a good soak when you get home.

Safe travels!

• Like 1

Hi Kat, I am  at O'Hare waiting for my connection. It is not my neck that has any issues.....it is the lower back. And I don't bathe.....I am a shower gal.

Anyway, although I had a good time, I am a cruiser at heart. Next one is in Nov 14 days on a TA crossing Lisbon to Ft. Lauderdale.

• Like 2

Since I have some time, I will recap a few things. Yes, I had a good time BUT I am a cruiser at heart. 

And this part of the country is VERY expensive ( in my opinion). The restaurants we went to were all quite $$$$$.

I learned this area is truly a resort......one night at dinner, Harrison Ford was sitting 10 feet away.

The place we stayed was fine.....nothing fancy but a very good location.

I guess I am not used to to paying for every meal.......on a ship I can go all week without charging a dime.

Anyway, hope all of you are doing well.

• Like 2

Lois, we felt the same about our recent land trip to Hawaiii. Our 10 days there (& Vegas) were definitely pricey, average lunch price fie 2 was $100+ (without alcohol). Even the shrimp trucks were really high. But we did have shave ice 

IMG_9976.jpeg

IMG_9977.jpeg

• Like 1

Good morning Melody, I have always heard that Hawaii is very pricey. I guess I didn't read up enough on Jackson Hole and the surrounding areas. You mentioned lunch for 2......I had lunch at a BQ place...the brisket was DELICIOUS🙂...but a sandwich and ice tea were 27.00..........😮

• Like 1

Lois - we are each other's opposite!!!   I'm definitely a land cruiser, but appreciate a water-based vacation now and then 😸

Harrison Ford is a local up there.  I don't know if he still is active, but he was a helicopter pilot (in his own copter) for the local search & rescue.  

Yes, food prices can be a bit on the high side in a resort area.  It's one of the problems living in a resort town.  There are only a few places here that don't charge "tourist" prices that I will go to for a meal.  Part of the price I pay for living up here.  Back in the day, restaurants would have "locals only" or 2-fers in the summer.  I do miss that!!  

Melody - there is cream on that shave ice, right???  yum!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Lois - we are each other's opposite!!!   I'm definitely a land cruiser, but appreciate a water-based vacation now and then 😸

Harrison Ford is a local up there.  I don't know if he still is active, but he was a helicopter pilot (in his own copter) for the local search & rescue.  

Yes, food prices can be a bit on the high side in a resort area.  It's one of the problems living in a resort town.  There are only a few places here that don't charge "tourist" prices that I will go to for a meal.  Part of the price I pay for living up here.  Back in the day, restaurants would have "locals only" or 2-fers in the summer.  I do miss that!!  

Melody - there is cream on that shave ice, right???  yum!

Yup, made from condensed milk. It was yummy!!!

• Like 1

That looks like a big bowl of shaved ice. Maybe it's the photo??

I agree if you are used to cruising, you just go eat. Everything is paid for. But on land vacations, your meals are on your own. You don't realize how things add up. I look at it as you either pay on the front end or back end.

• Like 2

Hi Janet, yes on a cruise it is all paid for ahead of time. Taking that credit card out for meals was very different for me.

Oh, another part of the trip I had to get used to.............the weather. The sun was shining most of the time but Temps (for me) were always chilly. There were quite a bit of winds blowing. I should have left my shorts at home because I never wore them. I even bought a sweatshirt while we were in Yellostone. And I brought 5 short sleeved tops that I never wore either. I did bring my Jean jacket and a warm up jacket and used them both all the time. 

I should have packed yoga pants. Oh well, you live and learn. And the altitude had an effect on my lips. I bought some lip balm because they felt so dry.

An entire new experience since I am used to living in humidity.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Lois, living at altitude & in the very arid West is so different than humid FL. It’s 48 here this morning. I’m sitting on the deck with my coffee, but I do have jeans & a jean jacket on

Wyoming is known for being very windy

Edited by awhfy
Addition
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, WELDON said:

That looks like a big bowl of shaved ice. Maybe it's the photo??

I agree if you are used to cruising, you just go eat. Everything is paid for. But on land vacations, your meals are on your own. You don't realize how things add up. I look at it as you either pay on the front end or back end.

Biggest shave ice I’ve ever seen, we all had blue lips & tongues for hours!

• Haha 2

Lois - the wind comes down off the mountains into the valley.  We just get used to it.  It takes awhile to acclimate to where you are wearing shorts & Tshirts when it's in the high 60s.  But, the wind does make a little chill.  And you found out why jean jackets and a little Patagonia jacket is standard issue 😉  Yes, it's exceptionally dry up in the mountains out here.  Lip balm becomes your best friend - I carry it all the time!   This weekend, here in UT, we had "red flag" warnings.  That means high winds and very low humidity (under 12%).   

It's going to be smokin' hot here in the mountains of UT this week:  upper 80s to actually 95 on Friday!!!  Extremely rare.  Over the hill where I get my oil changed, the temp is 90s all week with a possibility for 100 on Friday.  I absolutely won't be going anywhere except to my mammo appointment on Tuesday and my hair stylist on Thursday.  I will be wearing as little as possible!!!

• Like 1

Kat, we’re blistering hot here in CO this week too, supposed to reach triple digits on Sunday. No rain in sight, everything is very dry 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, awhfy said:

Kat, we’re blistering hot here in CO this week too, supposed to reach triple digits on Sunday. No rain in sight, everything is very dry 

Yep.  We already have some big fires going down in S. Utah near Bryce Canyon NP and Zion NP.  No rain expected here, too.  Red flag (high heat, low humidity, wind) warnings.  

Have to go out to get my mammo today. While I'm out, I'll go to the market, buy more sparkling water and get my med refill from pharmacy.  OOTD:  Tshirt dress - easy to take off for the mammo and will be cooler than shorts (yes, I've learned that lesson!)

• Like 1

All sounds very hot over there , Ive just boarded a plane to fly to Rotorua where it is zero celcius today , my husband has a fire going at our bach down there.

I hope Cynthia was able to go on her cruise after her sad lead up to it.

Enjoy that summer weather even though its too warm in some areas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MrToblerone said:

All sounds very hot over there , Ive just boarded a plane to fly to Rotorua where it is zero celcius today , my husband has a fire going at our bach down there.

I hope Cynthia was able to go on her cruise after her sad lead up to it.

Enjoy that summer weather even though its too warm in some areas.

We are fortunate in living on the beach as we typically don’t get the super high temps found in central Florida or the highs everyone is dealing with in other parts of the country. Our highs have been in the high 80’s which is not as bad as the high 90’s Orlando is having.  We drove over to Orlando on Monday to celebrate our anniversary (51 years!) and I could really feel a difference.  My son in Australia sent some family pictures the other day and it seemed strange to see everyone wearing heavy sweatshirts😂.

Grandkids have all gone home, no trips until our Iceland/Greenland cruise in August.  I am really looking forward to seeing Greenland.

OOTD: gym clothes🤣

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

Hi Sherri, Happy Anniversary🙂 

As for the temperature, it is the usual hot and humid here with the normal afternoon showers.

And I can understand being inland would be hotter than if you live at the beach.

Monday I had blood work done and tomorrow I go to the Nephrologist. Hoping my numbers look OK.

Next week I have my Mammogram.

I hope Cynthia doing ok.

Melody, how is Les doing? His eye? And how are you? The shoulder?

And how is your daughter doing?

• Like 1

Happy anniversary Sherri!  We loved living in Satellite Beach.

Lois, Les is ok, vision is still an issue, we go back next month & get next surgery date. He’s actually having MOHS (skin cancer surgery) the end of this month…can’t catch a break. O have shoulder postop spot tomorrow, I think I’m doing well. Daughter is doing great, pt told her she’s a star, starting to walk without the brace 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Sherri, Happy Anniversary🙂 

As for the temperature, it is the usual hot and humid here with the normal afternoon showers.

And I can understand being inland would be hotter than if you live at the beach.

Monday I had blood work done and tomorrow I go to the Nephrologist. Hoping my numbers look OK.

Next week I have my Mammogram.

I hope Cynthia doing ok.

Melody, how is Les doing? His eye? And how are you? The shoulder?

And how is your daughter doing?

Thanks, Lois! I enjoyed seeing your trip pictures, beautiful part of the country!   Fingers crossed you get good results on your labs! 

Sherri🙂

Edited by sjb317

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Happy anniversary Sherri!  We loved living in Satellite Beach.

Lois, Les is ok, vision is still an issue, we go back next month & get next surgery date. He’s actually having MOHS (skin cancer surgery) the end of this month…can’t catch a break. O have shoulder postop spot tomorrow, I think I’m doing well. Daughter is doing great, pt told her she’s a star, starting to walk without the brace 

Thanks, Melody!  You probably would not recognize Satellite Beach now, it has changed quite a bit since we started coming down in 2010.

I hope Les’s procedure goes well as does his eye surgery!  You and your daughter have both done great, I am amazed at your progress.  My husband had minor shoulder surgery in 2006 and I didn’t think he was ever going to get back to normal!

Loved your family trip pictures in Hawaii!

Sherri🙂

Sherri, we left Satellite Beach in 1986. Went back on a business trip in 2000 & couldn’t believe the changes!  We’re hoping to get down there this fall (if Les’s eyes let us travel)

Both Chicos & Athleta are having their semi-annual sales. I did some damage after my postop appt. My shoulder is healing beautifully, dic is very pleased (so am I!). He’s surprised how much range of motion I have. 

here’s one of my new outfits from Chicos. Melody

FullSizeRender.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

OK.  NEW RULE:  NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO GET SICK OR INJURED OR REQUIRE SURGERY!!!   I think we've all been beaten up enough.

Melody - that outfit looks very nice.   I looked at Athleta and nothing called to me.  BUT, I went back to Sundance over the weekend because they did an additional 60% off on things already on sale.  I picked up 2 shirts for $11.99 each instead of $62 each.  There were a few more I would have bought but they were out of my size.  Every time I put on one of my shirts from more than a year ago they are just hanging on me.  Grrrrr.

Mammo went fine Tuesday.  Nothing seen.  My facility is very nice - they give out warmed gowns to put on.   

OOTD:  off to hair stylist today, it's hella hot - 96.  Since I have no place lined up for a vacation, I've decided to "dress up" to go there this summer.  So, it was a gray Tshirt with my long Natural Life patchwork "old hippie lady" skirt and white high tops.  I did not go "commando" though... 😸

Lois - I loved your elk photo.  I got a photo Tuesday of our neighborhood mama moose and her baby.  This was in the walkway between my street and the next one.  they've been hanging around for the past 2 weeks. 

IMG_2559.jpeg

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 4