for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

I always thought it was a bit sexist to require women to wear a bikini when men could wear board shorts with a tank/Tshirt...

I do love a shipload (notice I worked in cruising 😸) of sports too.  There are certain sports that I just can't watch on TV because the commentary rubs me the wrong way (gymnastics, diving, ice skating).  Swimming is always fun to watch, especially with Rowdy Gaines does color.  I'd love to see him and Michael Phelps do color on a race together.  

The France/Greece men's BB game was totally fun to watch yesterday.   Found out this morning on FB that a young woman from Park City won silver in women's mountain biking.   Saw that Argentina lost their first soccer game - didn't see that coming.  

We've got a lot of smoke in the air today.  Nasty.  OOTS is running shorts and a Tshirt.  Not going anywhere and it's still hot.   

Kat, it looks like the girls are being given the option.....I watched some more of the beach volley ball today and they were in the bikini bottoms.

Oh, I love the gymnastics!......you could always watch and mute the audio.

• Like 1

Lois - yep, happy to see the women have choices now in what they wear.  BUT, the one US women's team was wearing bottoms closer to a thong than a bikini bottom 🙀

I was made to feel old again today.  Watched the women's volleyball game vs China.  I caught a look at the US coach - Karch Kiraly!!!  I went to UCLA at the same time.  He hung out with one of the guys on our dorm floor, another VB player (Joe Mica).  Young, tan (he got into beach VB with another teammate, Singin Smith) and sun-bleached blonde hair.  Now, leathered skin and buzzed grey hair.  Sigh.  Time passes. 

We have some more little fires in the area now.  Fire dept doing their best and some helicopters are helping with water drops.  With those and the winds blowing smoke in from CA, the air is rated "unhealthy" today.  No outdoor activities on tap today.  

OOTD:  denim shorts and gray Woolx short sleeve T.  I had to run out this morning to get my coffee fix - I was out of cream.

Les had his MOHS surgery inside his ear yesterday. It was a real procedure (3 different sessions, but the cancer is gone & he still has his ear!  

triple digit temps here today & tomorrow. We’re hiding inside with the Olympics Melody

• Like 4

Hi Melody, glad that Les is doing ok!😃 watching the Olympics here too! The guys won a bronze yesterday in gymnastics😃. Watching them so excited and celebrating I almost wanted to cry,

The girls have gymnastics today😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, awhfy said:

Les had his MOHS surgery inside his ear yesterday. It was a real procedure (3 different sessions, but the cancer is gone & he still has his ear!  

triple digit temps here today & tomorrow. We’re hiding inside with the Olympics Melody

21 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody, glad that Les is doing ok!😃 watching the Olympics here too! The guys won a bronze yesterday in gymnastics😃. Watching them so excited and celebrating I almost wanted to cry,

The girls have gymnastics today😀

Love the gymnastics, Lois!  My granddaughter is a huge fan of Simone Biles.

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

The girls won gold in the team competiton🙂....in the gymnastics.

And they still have the individual events to come.....I think that is later in the week.

• Like 1

Melody - glad to hear Les' surgery went well.  Hope it's the last of it!

Loved the ending of men's gymnastic team comp.  My one niece is a Penn State "auntie" - she gets to know so many of the athlete there.  She was the first to tell me to keep an eye on Stephen Nedoroscik.  Outstanding gymnast and an BSEE!   

I couldn't watch all of the women's gymnastic team comp, but I'd pop in once in awhile.  It was nice to see Jade Carey looking better today after being sick all week.  A little more color in her face.  I almost want to say I bet she had the 'vid because it's all over the place.

I got to see the last bit of the women's rugby 7s to see the US score that amazing goal at the literal end of the game to win bronze.  BTW - it was a woman from Utah who scored!

Watching US-Romania in men's water polo now.

We've got high temps, wind, and low humidity - making for a red-flag warning.  I sure hope no more fires pop up in the area.  Between those and the wind blowing smoke in from CA, it's just nasty.  Like Melody, I'm hanging inside and watching the Olympics.   OOTD: my hoodie mini dress.

• Like 1

So exciting to see men’s gymnastics win bronze but the women today, oh my goodness!! Way to go ladies, gold !!!  Women’s rugby first medal. Our granddaughter is hoping to be selected to ref for 2028 Olympics in LA. she’s rated very high & thinks she has a good chance. I know she’d rather play!!)

102 today & same expected tomorrow. Only went out this morning to water garden. I have a bee water dish (flat dish with glass rocks that the bees gather to drink) that I fill every day they know when I. Coming, they gather on the edge & wait for the dish to be filled. Melody

• Like 2

Melody - I hope she keeps moving up the ref ranks!!!  I have to say, it is a major rush to be an official in an Olympic Games.  

Noticed that the men's US-Guinea soccer match had a female ref.  I don't believe I've seen a female ref in that high of a men's FIFA game before.  

Feeling old again today.  I was a student at UCLA watching Steve Kerr play basketball for Arizona.   Now, he's an old guy coaching the USA team!!!  

The women's USA-Serbia volleyball game was a major barnburner!   It was supposed to be kind of easy for Serbia, but...

Our weather sucks big time today.  Not quite as hot, but still red flag warning.  The smoke is really bad - I can barely see the mountains that are a mile away.  I think I have a smoke-induced headache.  If it stays this bad the rest of the week, I may not go to the rodeo.  

OOTD:  running shorts and a tank top.  Just trying to endure...

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 3:01 PM, slidergirl said:

Melody - I hope she keeps moving up the ref ranks!!!  I have to say, it is a major rush to be an official in an Olympic Games.  

Noticed that the men's US-Guinea soccer match had a female ref.  I don't believe I've seen a female ref in that high of a men's FIFA game before.  

Feeling old again today.  I was a student at UCLA watching Steve Kerr play basketball for Arizona.   Now, he's an old guy coaching the USA team!!!  

The women's USA-Serbia volleyball game was a major barnburner!   It was supposed to be kind of easy for Serbia, but...

Our weather sucks big time today.  Not quite as hot, but still red flag warning.  The smoke is really bad - I can barely see the mountains that are a mile away.  I think I have a smoke-induced headache.  If it stays this bad the rest of the week, I may not go to the rodeo.  

OOTD:  running shorts and a tank top.  Just trying to endure...

I did the Trials twice in Track but couldn’t get enough time off work for the Games. I’m still a Masters Track official

Speaking of track.......the track and field has begun😀

And Simone won another gold yesterday and Suni won the bronze!

• Like 1

WOW.....I just watched the men's 10,000 meter run and for only the 2nd time in over 50 years we won a medal😃...our guy got the bronze! That race always has alot of participants and I don't believe we were even favored to win any medals in it. It was really fun to see🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Just saw that Simone Bikes is retiring & is pregnant with her first. 

Good morning Melody....really? Where did you see that? I can't find anything about her retiring or having a baby!  She has not made any kind of statement about either.......

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning Melody....really? Where did you see that? I can't find anything about her retiring or having a baby!  She has not made any kind of statement about either.......

Saw a lovely picture of her & her husband on line, can’t locate it now. I’ll look again. I’m not surprised about the retirement, I was about the baby. 

13 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Saw a lovely picture of her & her husband on line, can’t locate it now. I’ll look again. I’m not surprised about the retirement, I was about the baby. 

Not the article I first saw. Who knows if it’s accurate 

IMG_0576.jpeg

Hi, I think a rumor was started and until Simone actually puts out a statement, I think that is all it is......oh there was a rumor last year saying the same thing.

She debunked that one.

Simone just won another gold medal!!! She had 2 spectacular vaults🙂 She is definitely "The Goat".

And the Women's soccer team just beat Japan 1-0 and they now go to the semi finals🙂

• Like 1

Melody - I was lucky to get fast-tracked to an international official license when we hosted the Olympic Winter Games.  Worked every bobsled and skeleton event we had from 1998 until 2002.  Took the training and passed the test.  I was the first women to be Chief of Finish for all bobsled and skeleton for the Olympics for 2002.  Huge thrill. 

Definitely not going to the rodeo today.  I had a horrible 2 days.  I came down with the worst case of vertigo since 3 years ago when I fell and cracked my head and went to the ER.  I don't know why it showed up.  Ended up just laying flat in bed for 36 hours - I did have to run to the toilet to vomit a few times, just so absoutely dizzy.   I at least listened/watched the Olympics from the bed last night.  I can at least get up and walk around today.  I drove to the new bagel place (took over my favorite coffee place) and picked up a couple bagels to nibble on today.  Lots of water with Liquid IV in it.   

OOTD:  denim shorts and a Woolx short sleeve Tshirt.  They are nice in the heat.  Up to the 90s today with the smoke still hanging around.  

• Like 1

the post above was supposed to be for yesterday.  I guess I forgot to "submit".

Lois - that soccer match was darn good.  The US needs to get more cohesive on the offense, I think.  I bet they get Canada in the semis.    Watched US-Montenegro men's water polo - not much of  match, but I still love watching water polo.

Oh - the guy who won bronze in the 10,000 meters is from my town!  He moved here to be able to train at altitude.  My little town now has 2 medallists - women's mountain bike and men's 10,000.  Not bad for a little town that is famous for winter sport Olympians!

Well, no rodeo today, either.  I'm still dealing with vertigo, but not as bad as the other day/night.  We're still in the heat/smoke cycle, so I'm just going to hang out again and watch Olympics.  

OOTD:  denim shorts and a sleeveless Tshirt.

• Like 1

Kat, vertigo is terrible. I had it so badly several years ago that I went to a pt that did vestibular realignment. I was fortunate, it worked immediately.  Have you taken your bp? Sometimes low or high can affect vertigo. I haven’t tried the liquid IV, is it packets?  I usually get the Gatorade packets, but don’t like the taste. Melody

6 hours ago, awhfy said:

Kat, vertigo is terrible. I had it so badly several years ago that I went to a pt that did vestibular realignment. I was fortunate, it worked immediately.  Have you taken your bp? Sometimes low or high can affect vertigo. I haven’t tried the liquid IV, is it packets?  I usually get the Gatorade packets, but don’t like the taste. Melody

I do need to get that Epley maneuver done - I have to see if I can get in somewhere tomorrow.  I don't have a cuff for my BP.  my pulse and O2 are good.  My morning blood sugar has been OK except for my really bad day and it was 152 instead of in the low 00s.   The liquid IV is in packets.  I hate it, but gotta do what I gotta do with what I have at home.  I have several hydration samples from my outdoor subscription boxes.    I remembered last night that I had some ginger chews in my daypack so I dug them out and started using them.  It has helped the nausea.  I'm still feeling a bit queasy and a little dizzy today.  I'm getting tired eating rice, though, but that and the plain bagels are nice on my stomach.  I had some yogurt this morning and my stomach didn't really approve.

Florida ladies:  I hope you are all set for Debby's visit.  Stay safe!

OOTD:  denim shorts & Woolx Tshirt.  It's worked OK so far in couch surfing.