Jewelry on board

crazycruzer68

Buy at your own risk - there is a lot of information from the cruise critic articles giving you the pros and cons. People buy everything not nailed down on the ship - that doesn’t make it smart and many time you cannot compare as with other purchases to land prices and warranty services. 

8 hours ago, crazycruzer68 said:

I feel in love with a ring I found on board. It was 50% off but still very expensive. Has anyone bought jewelry on board and is it legitimate as they tell you it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Very Expensive" is a very relative term.  There are no real bargains on the ships.  But if you love it and can afford it...go for it.  It will always remind you on your trip.  If you're "a value shopper" and getting a deal is an important factor, then look elsewhere.

Realize that if they offer 50% off, they still have to make a profit on it. Jewelry can be marked up so much they could offer you 75%off and still make a profit.  (I work in a jewelry store)   If you have the capability to google & compare prices for (example) a ''14kt gold tanzanite ring'' you should.   Buying jewelry is an emotional response.  If you absolutely love it, buy it.  But realize most times jewelry on board or even on the islands are priced so the salesperson can make you ''an offer you can't refuse'' by offering XX% off the price.  

Don’t expect any real bargains when purchasing jewelry onboard a ship because the ship will always comes out on top.  I did purchase an Effy rose gold & diamond ring onboard a few years ago & I love it and wear it often.  Effy’s NYC store could not size the ring (I have large fingers & wear a size 9) so the actually made me another ring at no additional price.  I say if you see something you absolutely love and it’s in your budget, buy it!  Jewelry is pricey everywhere.

Also do your due diligence looking up the reputations of the companies Carnival is associating with. Effy in particular has a terrible reputation on quality and durability if you read the reviews online, but you’d never know that based on the marketing being pushed out on the ship! Jewelry is an emotional purchase though, so YMMV, but just have all the facts to go with it.