Cancelled Disney cruises to Alaska and Europe

kicia

7 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Well, I believe there are already other lines that have done this.

I am not aware of what too many other cruise lines have done, just what Canada has done with regard to closed ports and as of now, they are saying no ships until July 1st.  So the info. about Disney going beyond the Canada date, had me wondering if other lined have extended beyond July 1.  I know Celebrity has not mentioned anything regarding Alaska past July 1.  Disney seems to be leading the way on this.  Maybe others will follow suit. Or maybe I just haven't caught up on the latest info.  and they already have.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

hi - just to note - that the blog is VERY misleading and so is the title of this thread.  There are NO cancellations for Europe if you read the full text.  Disney just took down the sailings from their website.  

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/03/disney-cruise-line-summer-sailings-canceled-tm1/  

You also need to read Disney's quote within the blog.  

Cruises to Alaska need to stop in a Canadian port. It's a rule of the Jones Act. Because the Canadian PM has banned all cruise ships from Canadian ports until July, all lines will be pretty much not going to Alaska until August.

This move by the canadian PM will kill a lot of business in Alaska.

42 minutes ago, 1city@atime said:

Cruises to Alaska need to stop in a Canadian port. It's a rule of the Jones Act. Because the Canadian PM has banned all cruise ships from Canadian ports until July, all lines will be pretty much not going to Alaska until August.

This move by the canadian PM will kill a lot of business in Alaska.

Actually it's the Passenger Vessel Services Act.  Jones Act applies to cargo.  And It doesn't have to be particularly a Canadian port, it only has to be a foreign port.  And, yes, Canada fits the bill beautifully with it's proximity to Alaska.  But, if a cruise line were to do a (long) cruise, say from San Francisco to Alaska and then onto Japan, that's legal.   

Not to mention that Seattle has closed it's port to cruise traffic, also.

And, on the other hand, do you think the people in Alaska really want cruise ships calling with a pandemic going on?  I believe Alaska is also restricting ships to their port.

Edited by Shmoo here

On 3/26/2020 at 3:43 PM, Shmoo here said:

And, on the other hand, do you think the people in Alaska really want cruise ships calling with a pandemic going on?  I believe Alaska is also restricting ships to their port.

I think they may miss the sales...

http://theconversation.com/coronavirus-and-tourism-places-like-alaska-without-a-severe-covid-19-outbreak-could-still-be-devastated-133421