Carnival CEO On bailout

jimbo5544

8 hours ago, cscurlock said:

I read somewhere that they are burning 500 million a month with no ships moving.  How is that even possible?  I would bet they dock the ships for very little considering how much money they bring into the port/city when they are sailing.   With minimal crew moving between each ship doing basic maintenance since a lot of them are in the same port you don't need 4-5 crews. Maybe a high electric bill to keep the ac running.   Just seems like a lot of money.

I wonder how much of it is debt financing.

19 hours ago, cscurlock said:

I read somewhere that they are burning 500 million a month with no ships moving.  How is that even possible?  I would bet they dock the ships for very little considering how much money they bring into the port/city when they are sailing.   With minimal crew moving between each ship doing basic maintenance since a lot of them are in the same port you don't need 4-5 crews. Maybe a high electric bill to keep the ac running.   Just seems like a lot of money.

The cost to keep a ship at the wet slip is the same regardless of them having revenue passengers or not.  NO savings there to keep them in port.

The electric bill is measured in tons of fuel burned.  They do not have the capacity to easily bring on shore power like the ships I was stationed on in the Navy.  Most cruise terminal piers are not designed to supply shore power.

The amount stated seems reasonable if you consider the amount of overhead they carry.  That, and as mentioned - interest and other obligations may not have been waived.