Carnival CEO On bailout

jimbo5544

40 minutes ago, LaRue1975 said:

Very, very interesting, thank you for posting! My only big concern was that they could go bankrupt, this puts that worry at ease. Very good to know they can ride it out a year if need be, this will eventually end. 

I did not see where they would not go bankrupt. He said that they had a plan if they don't cruise for the year. that plan could be filing for bankruptcy and reorganize

• Like 1

Thanks for posting.  We have a cruise scheduled for September 2020 and crossing our fingers that it might still happen.  I've read on CC that Carnival is issuing  OBC if they cancel your cruise and you reschedule another future cruise. If you cancel then just a refund. Is this correct?  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Thanks for posting.  We have a cruise scheduled for September 2020 and crossing our fingers that it might still happen.  I've read on CC that Carnival is issuing  OBC if they cancel your cruise and you reschedule another future cruise. If you cancel then just a refund. Is this correct?  Thanks!

There are variables depending when you book and when they cancel.  

12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

There are variables depending when you book and when they cancel.  

We booked our Sept cruise in July 2019. I'm figuring Carnival won't cancel till after final payment which is early June. We are planning on booking the same itinerary for 2021 if this September cruise doesn't happen, just wanting to not shoot ourselves in the proverbial foot one way or another.  Thanks for your insight Jimbo5544!

Edited by ninjacat123

3 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

Very, very interesting, thank you for posting! My only big concern was that they could go bankrupt, this puts that worry at ease. Very good to know they can ride it out a year if need be, this will eventually end. 

It has been reported that Carnival has 150 million in cash.

11 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

We booked our Sept cruise in July 2019. I'm figuring Carnival won't cancel till after final payment which is early June. We are planning on booking the same itinerary for 2021 if this September cruise doesn't happen, just wanting to not shoot ourselves in the proverbial foot one way or another.  Thanks for your insight Jimbo5544!

If you already had your September cruise booked when this started, you should have received an e-mail extending your final payment date until 30 days prior to cruising and an OBC of $100 if you choose not to cancel.

That gives a little breathing room for September bookings.  Did you not get the e-mail?

2 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

If you already had your September cruise booked when this started, you should have received an e-mail extending your final payment date until 30 days prior to cruising and an OBC of $100 if you choose not to cancel.

That gives a little breathing room for September bookings.  Did you not get the e-mail?

Yes I did receive that email which was a relief. I'm just trying to see what the options are if we are cancelled.  If Carnival doesn't cancel we are going. If Carnival cancels then what? I've never been booked on a cruise that has been cancelled. Thanks in advance bury me at sea.

7 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Yes I did receive that email which was a relief. I'm just trying to see what the options are if we are cancelled.  If Carnival doesn't cancel we are going. If Carnival cancels then what? I've never been booked on a cruise that has been cancelled. Thanks in advance bury me at sea.

I'm in the same situation with a September cruise booked some time ago.

Like you my plan is to sail if Carnival doesn't cancel.

Since the landscape changes from day to day my plan is to wait until close to the extended final payment date to make a decision.

No way to predict the future but simply based on the past it is probably better to let Carnival cancel than to jump the gun and cancel first.  Your family may well have other considerations that would point toward cancelling.

As far as I can tell there is no definitive right or wrong way to go, so I tend to choose the least stressful way for me and the people I love.

My March 29 cruise was cancelled by Carnival.  I was glad on that one that I waited for Carnival to cancel.

In any event, happy sailing.

3 hours ago, shipbound2 said:

It has been reported that Carnival has 150 million in cash.

That's not much when you consider all of the overhead they are still carrying.

They still run diesel generators to keep their ships powered up.  They still have crew salaries.  They still have port fees to pay every time they come in to replenish fuel and other supplies (food, consumables, etc.).

I would be very curious as to what the average daily cost is to keep all of those ships in non-revenue status.

Even if they start sending some of their nonessential crew home as RCI has, they will still need bridge officers, navigation and communication, engineering and the crew support (cooks, laundry, general maintenance).

I wonder what a skeleton crew would number for a unique vessel such as a cruise ship - ChEngP?

• Like 2

I find it interesting that Carnival thinks there would be a bailout. Only 2 industries have ever been given a bailout.

And why do some of you think bankruptcy is so bad? Our president has gone through numerous bankruptcies and he's still a rich man.

• Like 1