"Travel Savings Account..."

NavyCruiser

With all the confusion about the Gov't "Bailouts" of airlines & other transportation industries, which may include cruise liners, I've thought of another idea:

How about a Consumer/Traveler's "Bailout" policy...?

So for example of a bad analogy:  You can use a "Health Savings Account" funds towards any Doctor or Hospital or any other health care services

How about a "Travel Savings Account" for consumers & travelers?

Until the end of the year we have:

Gate1Travel river cruise scheduled to depart last week that was cancelled

Viking river cruise in summer, air & hotel trip to Cancun in early May, Carnival cruise in late May, air & hotel trip to Florida in June, Royal Carib cruise in Nov, air & hotel trip  to Hawaii in late fall.

So in this chaotic environment, instead of us keeping track of all the various cancel, rebook, & refund or future travel credit policies from numerous travel companies, why not let us commingle all the various companies from airlines, hotels, resorts, ocean cruise & river cruise companies, & other transportation services together, to give us flexibility & peace of mind that if any one company cancels on us, if they can't/won't refund 100% immediately, then we can bank those $$$ into our "Travel Savings Account" & freely re-use those funds to book at any of the other companies without restrictions.

That way, the economy will have a good rebound since consumers won't have hesitation about their future booking's a go or not.  

Also, there'll still be free-market competition so that one company won't gouge consumers by turning 125% FCC into 150% future price increases, since it's captive consumers & $$$ for use with our company only.

Just my stupid idea of the day...

Perhaps I'm not fully understanding.  But, the idea of any kind of bailout for personal vacation travel at a time when folks have lost their livelihoods is not appealing in the least to me.   But again, I'm really not getting the concept at all.  

Interesting idea. Totally beneficial and risk-free for the consumers. Though it might be really hard to implement and and to get different companies to participate. Some companies might get more advantage and end up getting more revenue than the others. 

It sounds like you want government to get involved and all travel industry abides by some joint venture to allow everyone to cancel willy nilly. I've seen these kinds of ideas many times over and it never ends well. Quite frankly, this isn't needed either. The travel industry was booming and this will all blow over. A few moments of inconvenience make people want to make brash decisions.

Also, this isn't what a HSA is at all. An HSA allows you to deposit money into an account tax-free to use towards qualifying medical expenses. I love my HSA as it allows my money to go further towards those expenses. Now a true comparison would be some form of less taxes to the people, so they could dump them back into the economy. The stimulus package is a form of this.