Post-Corona What Changes Would You Like To See With Cruises?

WonderMan3

8 hours ago, newcruiserdave said:

Thanks, @UnorigionalName , for a touch of realism.

A lot of wishful assumptions are being made.

2.  You can screen for Covid19 and prevent infected people from entering a cruise ship.  No, you can not.  You can spread the disease for days before you have any symptoms.  More importantly, 20-30% of people who have the disease never have any symptoms at all.  Testing for current disease has poor sensitivity.   Testing for convalescence antibodies is the best way to show prior infection and a lesser likelihood of being susceptible to some diseases, but we don't yet know if there is any long-term protection from a prior infection of COVID19 yet.  Many respiratory viruses do not confer any lasting immunity.  Some children get RSV several times a winter.  Finally, the presence of antibodies don't always equate to disease resistance.  

I don't think anyone here was saying you can totally stop infected people from boarding. My personal suggestions were to catch those already displaying fever or other illness symptoms and was thinking of other things like flu, colds, noro, etc. not this coronavirus. I don't see how cruises can even think of operating while this coronavirus is still active out there and a potential threat at any moment unless they are willing to do total ship quarantines every time a case appears onboard.

On 4/3/2020 at 11:11 AM, Life Buoy said:

You are safe only if the vaccine is 100% effective. The flu shot is rarely even 50% effective. I still get the flu shot and would get a shot for this. I would not object to a proof of inoculation.

Well if the vaccine works as well as the flu, You have just reduced your odds of catching it by greater that 50% (those that you could catch it from have also reduced their odds by 50%). Even if not totally effect it should reduce the severity in those that do catch.  So at that point it becomes much more manageable.

49 minutes ago, npcl said:

Well if the vaccine works as well as the flu, You have just reduced your odds of catching it by greater that 50% (those that you could catch it from have also reduced their odds by 50%). Even if not totally effect it should reduce the severity in those that do catch.  So at that point it becomes much more manageable.

Potentially, but this virus is much, much more contagious than the flu virus, so that changes the game a bit.

Most impractical suggestions I have ever heard.  Never work un less you want to return late 1930s Germany or practices in the Soviet Union era or maybe even today's China where people can be totally controlled and monitored.  Suggestions are also at odds with personal freedoms in western societies.