Cancellation question/help from the experts

Hey all-

We've never been in this spot before but we have a cruise booked for the end of July that my doctor is strongly recommending that I do not go on. So I likely will cancel this week. We are outside the 90 days but it looks like the deposit is non-refundable. Here are my (dumb and probably answered a thousand times) questions:

1- What happens to the money we spent on on-board dining, activities and excursions?

2- We do have a cruise booked for June 2021, any chance that deposit would get rolled over to that one?

3- We have the travel insurance through the booking, does that play any role here?

4- Finally, what is the best way to cancel (phone, internet) or does it matter?

Thanks a ton for anyone that can reach out with answers. I have 5 auto-immune diseases and feel like I'm letting my family down by having to cancel but it also seems like the smartest route at this time. Thanks and have a great week and, if you celebrate it, a happy Easter.

• Like 1

I'm not an expert, but a couple things I would look at, is there any further penalty for cancelling later?  What I mean is, if you cancel now before a week before the cruise, do you lose the same amount? If so, I'd put off on cancelling it, as we could see these shutdowns going that long, especially for cruise ships, which should change your refund.

In regards to what way to cancel, depending on when you do as the above has, I'd still try and cancel by phone unless the online cancellation is crystal clear on what is happening to your deposits.

12 minutes ago, CBVest said:

Before you call to cancel the sailing itself, cancel all of the items in the planner (dining, excursions,etc) online. You'll get an FCC for the sailing itself which you can apply to the '21 sailing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jinx73 said:

I'm not an expert, but a couple things I would look at, is there any further penalty for cancelling later?  What I mean is, if you cancel now before a week before the cruise, do you lose the same amount? If so, I'd put off on cancelling it, as we could see these shutdowns going that long, especially for cruise ships, which should change your refund.

In regards to what way to cancel, depending on when you do as the above has, I'd still try and cancel by phone unless the online cancellation is crystal clear on what is happening to your deposits.

By waiting they would have to make final payment. 

18 minutes ago, CBVest said:

Hey all-

We've never been in this spot before but we have a cruise booked for the end of July that my doctor is strongly recommending that I do not go on. So I likely will cancel this week. We are outside the 90 days but it looks like the deposit is non-refundable. Here are my (dumb and probably answered a thousand times) questions:

1- What happens to the money we spent on on-board dining, activities and excursions?

2- We do have a cruise booked for June 2021, any chance that deposit would get rolled over to that one?

3- We have the travel insurance through the booking, does that play any role here?

Thanks a ton for anyone that can reach out with answers. I have 5 auto-immune diseases and feel like I'm letting my family down by having to cancel but it also seems like the smartest route at this time. Thanks and have a great week and, if you celebrate it, a happy Easter.

You are before final payment, the travel insurance can be removed.

you will get a FCC for your entire deposit amount that you can apply to next years booking. 

Thank you ALL very, very, VERY much. Honestly, you've helped take some of the stress off me for this. I really appreciate the time you each took to give me some information!

• Like 2