How much FCC will it take

saltwaterfan

With so many cruises being cancelled,  O will offer a refund or a FCC for the customers who have their cruise canceled by O. 
With most suggesting they would take the refund, what amount of FCC would make you consider not taking the refund.  If O would

extend the “last date to use” period for the FCC, would that make you change your decision?  My Alaskan cruise is in June and I 

will wait to see if O will make the right decision and cancel.

1 hour ago, saltwaterfan said:

With so many cruises being cancelled,  O will offer a refund or a FCC for the customers who have their cruise canceled by O. 
With most suggesting they would take the refund, what amount of FCC would make you consider not taking the refund.  If O would

extend the “last date to use” period for the FCC, would that make you change your decision?  My Alaskan cruise is in June and I 

Are you asking how many birds in the bush are better than one in hand? I don't think they will offer that many birds.

• Haha 1

I am not much of a gambler and probably my perspective has been affected enormously by earning my daily bread and butter for decades by looking at everything from “the worst case scenario” point of view.  I also believe that stress is a major contributor to illness in general, so I would vote for resolution now rather than later.  JMO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saltwaterfan said:

With most suggesting they would take the refund, what amount of FCC would make you consider not taking the refund.

150%

But how much can they give  in advnce and later? Seems people are hoping/expecting/advising to wait to make a booking as they will be lower prices. But how can they offer promos with price reductions when they have a large number of 125% FCC out there?

So 25% off now and 25% off later? Or maybe try the O-life "all three" offer and hope to upsell a few more excursions and drinks package? I don't know what they will do, and likely that would change depending on what the competition does, but it is certainly a challenge for them all to fill ships. Primary importance is to get revenue coming in. This is when the "team" will really need to come together to save the line - bean counters, marketing, sales team, revenue, cost side all needs to be balanced.

If O would

extend the “last date to use” period for the FCC, would that make you change your decision?

Yes,  That part build confidence that there will be time for a vaccine.

The above two go hand-in-hand though and address different parts of a decision. The amount of extra FCC is the carrot offsetting the fear that the CL will not be around - I'll take x% in return for that risk. For some, no amount of FCC is going to move them due to their own fears, finances, age, etc.  So just increasing it to 150% might not move the enough takers for the CL to give up that additional 25%. The best before date of the FCC is the vaccine / treatment part of the decision.

My Alaskan cruise is in June and I 

The ports do not have a lot of appetite to have cruise ships dock in Canada, Seattle - can you imagine of a small Alaska town will react if a ship pulls in and a *suspected* case?  Add in that the CDC has extended a No Sail Order for all cruise ships 100 (or can be rescinded until other conditions) to mid June I suspect the Alaska cruise season might even be scrapped.  For some CLs Alaska is an important part of their revenue. A think there are some high level meetings going on all weekend.   Don't  know when your June sailing is. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, saltwaterfan said:

" ... My Alaskan cruise is in June and I will wait to see if O will make the right decision and cancel."

Canada has closed all of their ports to cruise ships through July 1st. And, without having a Canadian port to fulfill the requirements of the PVSA of 1886, cruise ships will be unable to do the Alaska itineraries before that time. So, in due time, it's almost a "done deal" that 'O will cancel your June cruise.

If you make your final payment and. then your cruise is cancelled and you take the FCC rather than refund, you are lending your money to Oceania in return for a 25% return on it. Oceania is waiting until final payments are due before they cancel a group of cruises. In normal times, a 25% return on investment would be excellent but these are not normal times. I was not willing to gamble so I cancelled 4 days before my final payment was due. All I have at stake as a FCC is $500 which has already been applied to a cruise in August 2021 that I booked. The rate on next year's cruise is actually more than the one I just cancelled by $300 pp for the same cabin, same ship, same itinerary. I will keep an eye on prices and if they drop I will have my TA change to the lower price, but it is a long way off, 16 months. If the worst happens and NCLH goes out of business I am out $500 not $6000. I would not be happy but I can afford that.