Dialysis and crushing

rstackjd

I am very close to having to start dialysis.   I am still debating between HD and PD.    There are pros and cons to each.   We typically cruise at least once per year.   With PD we can take the machine and supplies with us, but It will severely limit our Night times.    I’ve been told that many ships have on board HD facilities.   

Has anyone cruised with either PD or HD.   Are you willing to share your experiences?   I’m really torn at the moment which way to go but will have to decide soon.   FYI I’m 61 and aside from having ***** kidneys am in pretty good shape and very active.  

if you’re not comfortable sharing here, my email is rstackjd@gmail.com 

Thank you 

Bob Stack

I'm not aware of any ships that have onboard dialysis facilities.

With that said, there is an agency, Dialysis at Sea, that will work with the cruise line to provide the equipment, supplies, and staff for your cruise. Just note that the cost also reflects this.

The only ship/line that I have heard offers regular hemodialysis is Europa and/or Europa 2 of Hapag-Lloyd.  They are also perhaps the most expensive luxury ships you can sail.  There have been many people on CC who have posted about cruising with both types of dialysis.  EM

If you are doing your dialysis at home, you can bring your machine with you whether it is PD or HD.  Definitely contact your cruise line and let them know you're bringing a machine. (If nothing else, the cruise line needs to know in case of an emergency.)  Let them know your dietary needs, too; most dialysis patients need to pay close attention to their intake of substances like potassium.  You'll have a dietitian to help you determine what your personal needs are.

No matter the modality, let your care team know about your trip.  They can assist you in ordering the type of supplies you'll need for the trip and shipping them to where you can get them loaded on board.  

Have fun on your trip!