Celebrity Air

charlielinda

Excuse me if this has been answered. 

I booked my air with Celebrity and it shows on my invoice for a Transatlantic Cruise.  IAD-FLL and then Dublin-IAD — it was nonrefundable.   I paid for insurance with Celebrity.  Cruise cancelled by Celebrity.  

I have been a future air voucher for the airfare.  I thought the insurance would take care of this and I would be reimbursed.  

I’m starting my calls to Celebrity and United (again) but wondered if anyone had some insight.  Thanks.  

49 minutes ago, charlielinda said:

Excuse me if this has been answered. 

I booked my air with Celebrity and it shows on my invoice for a Transatlantic Cruise.  IAD-FLL and then Dublin-IAD — it was nonrefundable.   I paid for insurance with Celebrity.  Cruise cancelled by Celebrity.  

I have been a future air voucher for the airfare.  I thought the insurance would take care of this and I would be reimbursed.  

I’m starting my calls to Celebrity and United (again) but wondered if anyone had some insight.  Thanks.  

This has been discussed several times.  You need to contact United Airlines.  Depending on where you live, United will either give you a credit or refund.  US residents likely a credit.  Airlines changed their policies a while ago.

As for your insurance - contact them.  Coverage depends on when the policy was issued and again where you live.

Suggest going to the insurance and airline board.  

PS call United in the middle of the night.

I would check with United to see if the flight as been cancelled by the airline.  If so, you are legally entitled to a refund rather than a credit. Most airlines seem to be trying to get people to take credits. As noted in the prior post, there has been a lot of discussion about this, particularly some people feeling like they got the run around with Flights by Celebrity/ChoiceAir.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 12:57 PM, az_tchr said:

This has been discussed several times.  You need to contact United Airlines.  Depending on where you live, United will either give you a credit or refund.  US residents likely a credit.  Airlines changed their policies a while ago.

As for your insurance - contact them.  Coverage depends on when the policy was issued and again where you live.

Suggest going to the insurance and airline board.  

PS call United in the middle of the night.

This is not the case IF United has cancelled one or both of your flights. If the airline has cancelled your flight, you're entitled to a refund on your non-refundable ticket. In late March the DOT (Department of Transportation) came down hard on airlines trying to lead customers to believe they were only entitled to vouchers for future travel. They were hoping customers didn't know their rights to a refund in their attempts to conserve cash. 

Go to the United website and look to see if they're still operating the DUB-IAD flight on the date you're ticketed to travel. If it's been cancelled, contact Celebrity Air, have them verify the flight cancellation, and they should begin the refund process. 

My Sister had a non-refundable flight on United. She wanted to cancel the trip since it was non-essential travel. I told her to wait until United cancelled one or more of her flights, and then call and get the refund. Sure enough, United cancelled one of her flights. When she called to cancel the trip entirely, they only offered a voucher for future travel. Once she spoke up about the DOT rules the conversation suddenly shifted and a refund was immediately authorized. 

3 minutes ago, BEAV said:

This is not the case IF United has cancelled one or both of your flights. If the airline has cancelled your flight, you're entitled to a refund on your non-refundable ticket. In late March the DOT (Department of Transportation) came down hard on airlines trying to lead customers to believe they were only entitled to vouchers for future travel. They were hoping customers didn't know their rights to a refund in their attempts to conserve cash. 

Go to the United website and look to see if they're still operating the DUB-IAD flight on the date you're ticketed to travel. If it's been cancelled, contact Celebrity Air, have them verify the flight cancellation, and they should begin the refund process. 

My Sister had a non-refundable flight on United. She wanted to cancel the trip since it was non-essential travel. I told her to wait until United cancelled one or more of her flights, and then call and get the refund. Sure enough, United cancelled one of her flights. When she called to cancel the trip entirely, they only offered a voucher for future travel. Once she spoke up about the DOT rules the conversation suddenly shifted and a refund was immediately authorized. 

Of course.  If the airline cancelled you get a refund. 

The OP here had air thru Celebrity and the OP cancelled their cruise.  Thus Celebrity in turn cancelled the air.  If the OP had booked directly and the flight was cancelled or their was a significant change in departure or arrival - do not remember hour much time required for international travel - then would be eligible for a refund.

Remember the OP cancelled in early March.  It is certainly worth a try to see what United will do.

27 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

Of course.  If the airline cancelled you get a refund. 

The OP here had air thru Celebrity and the OP cancelled their cruise.  Thus Celebrity in turn cancelled the air.  If the OP had booked directly and the flight was cancelled or their was a significant change in departure or arrival - do not remember hour much time required for international travel - then would be eligible for a refund.

Remember the OP cancelled in early March.  It is certainly worth a try to see what United will do.

Yes, my suggestion to determine whether United cancelled the flight is to see if they're entitled to a refund, even if already issued a voucher. This is after reading a number of airline-industry blogs who've reported folks being able to do exactly that. 

There's also the possibility that Celebrity hadn't yet paid United for the flight, and therefore it hadn't been ticketed yet. This happened to some people on the Roll Call for my cancelled cruise. In that event, even though the ticket was supposedly non-refundable, because it hadn't yet been ticketed, the customer wasn't "on the hook", so to speak, and was able to be refunded under the circumstances.

Edited by BEAV

Did the airline make any changes between the time you booked and canceled? The reason I ask is this issue just came up for us. We had a Princess cruise booked for the end of May. We booked our own airfare with Alaska. When the cruise was canceled, we had to cancel our airfare. These were non refundable tickets. At first Alaska was only going to give us a voucher for future travel. Then the agent noticed that Alaska had changed the scheduled flight. We had been informed of this and it wasn’t a big deal as it was only five minutes. But, since Alaska had changed our flight from what we booked, we were entitled to a refund not just a credit. Something to check. 

• Like 1