Train from Seward to Anchorage

Cruiser933

Looking at the Alaska Rail website, the only train I see from Seward to Anchorage is at 6 at night. Since my cruise is in September, daylight hours would be limited, so the train seems like a waste at night.  It looks like NCL offers a train excursion in the morning. I assume the only way on this train is through the cruise line. Does anyone know the timing of this train?

I was on the Jewel last July. I took the evening train because I had plans in Seward to go on a boat tour of glaciers. NCL offers a train (you have to book it direct with NCL and not with AR) and it leaves very early in the morning. I don't remember the time off hand, but I am certain it was before 7:30. 

This website: https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions/SWD_01/Debarkation-Scenic-Cruisetrain-Seward-to-Anchorage-Airport  has this blurb: " Participants are to disembark by 6:00am. This tour is offered for guests with flights between 2pm and 5pm only."  Since it's a 4 1/2 train ride, I'm guess the train leaves around 7am and gets to Anchorage just before noon?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 1:25 PM, FaithPlus1 said:

I was on the Jewel last July. I took the evening train because I had plans in Seward to go on a boat tour of glaciers. NCL offers a train (you have to book it direct with NCL and not with AR) and it leaves very early in the morning. I don't remember the time off hand, but I am certain it was before 7:30. 

Thru the middle of September sunset won't be until around 8:30 PM. It will still be light enough to see fairly well until after 9:00 PM.

20 hours ago, SuperCrewBear said:

Thru the middle of September sunset won't be until around 8:30 PM. It will still be light enough to see fairly well until after 9:00 PM.

I've been there the first week of September and it was indeed dark around 8pm   and had viewing maybe to Portage,  from Seward,    Mostly Dark along the Arm.   

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2020 at 3:48 PM, Budget Queen said:

I've been there the first week of September and it was indeed dark around 8pm   and had viewing maybe to Portage,  from Seward,    Mostly Dark along the Arm.   

This past September when I was staying at my house in Anchorage that wasn't the case...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SuperCrewBear said:

This past September when I was staying at my house in Anchorage that wasn't the case...

Being that cruise ships are sailing Inside Passage,   Dark by 8pm is indeed the case.     There is an extended twilight certainly.    I've experienced this multiple times on the inside passage.   And with cruises now sailing into October-  absolutely a scenic sailing negative for me.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

Being that cruise ships are sailing Inside Passage,   Dark by 8pm is indeed the case.     There is an extended twilight certainly.    I've experienced this multiple times on the inside passage.   And with cruises now sailing into October-  absolutely a scenic sailing negative for me.   

Taken on 9/11/19 - the first two at some friend's new house under construction at Seward a little before 8:00 PM, the last one about half-way back to Anchorage around 9:00 PM.  I know you've been to Alaska a billion times but you don't know every thing. Sorry.

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

Edited by SuperCrewBear
  • Thanks 1