Is it wrong to feel this way?

Tntt, it's perfectly fine that you are sad and angry. Being so does not mean that you do not care about all the terrible, tragic things happening now.

The idea that you shouldn't be sad or angry because some people have it worse is tantamount to the idea that you shouldn't be happy or at peace when something good happens to you because some people have it better. 

The odds of you ever being the most fortunate person in the world are over 7 billion to 1. The same odds apply to you being the least fortunate person. 

I imagine that most of the posters on these boards have had travel plans canceled due to this horrible situation. I also imagine that nearly all of them are at least a little sad and/or angry. I am. We can be sad and angry about the tragedies in the world and about the losses, however large or small they may be, that we experience ourselves. 

• Like 2

We were supposed to be on the Empress to Bermuda (one of my favorite places in the world!) for our 10th annual Mother/Daughter cruise May 11th. I was initially sad/relieved when ours got cancelled for us as boarding a ship would have been a no go for us (first time in a non-balcony during quarantine era? hard pass) As we get closer to the dates I was going to fly to New York and board the ship, I keep feeling a wave of disappointment each day we're up to that milestone. 

I know in the grand scheme of sadness, it's minor. But I am sad to miss out on that quality time with my mom more than the island or the frozen drinks. I think that's what that comes down to - we're all really feeling the impact of being isolated from our loved ones. We're disappointed have those stress-free moments taken away from the ones we love the most. I'm on the other side of the country as my mom and dad and it pains me not knowing when I'll see them in person again. 

Accept your grief and sadness and know it's OK to feel what you do, we're all losing something in this, and you can be sad for your trip and sad for those who have lost much more than a vacation too. And what I'm going to try to do next week - I told my boss that next week my zoom backgrounds are going to be my favorite pictures of Bermuda changing daily, and I might have a rum swizzle or two during a call :). 

Stay safe and be well. 

Edited by psuboater
  • Like 1

Cruising is fun , but this virus is serious  , so I am going to lay off for about 2 years 

until everything settles down . Like another poster said , it wont be much fun if you

get stuck on a ship with the virus spreading around . 

Imagine how I feel.  I broke my ankle late last summer and required surgery and was told no way I could cruise in Nov, so we cancelled and knew we had cruises coming up in May and rescheduled the cancelled one for Nov 2020.  So, far May has been cancelled and this Nov is looking iffy.  All were b2b's and the May ones were to celebrate my 60th and retirement and Nov (both years) included WDW.  It is what it is, but I was okay with cancelling last Nov due to how I felt, but didn't expect the others to be cancelled.  So, now we're booked for May, Jul and Oct 2021.  We're all allowed to feel the way we feel.

20 hours ago, deepcman said:

May I suggest you take a little from the cruise refund and address your concerns with a "qualified" therapist rather than looking for support from the CC armchair  quarterbacks. 

All problems can't be fixed on social media. 

Wow you are something else.