HAL plans to lay off 2,000 employees

DaveSJ711

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Surely, such decisions can work out well.

I don't understand what you were trying to say in relation to your previous sentence.

Your earlier post had referred to positives of a still-employed cruise consultant and a “teachable moment” for those who change jobs often and thus have less seniority.

Sitmar and Royal Viking Line were two cruise lines operating in the 1970s and 1980s which ceased to exist in the 1980s/90s. I was lucky that I had changed jobs and left those companies before that happened at my own timing and for my own career path reasons. I had Friends, people in their 40s to 60s, who were suddenly unemployed by those incidents and never able to find similar jobs, salaries, and benefits. (Younger people were less expensive to hire. This also happened in the airline industry with mergers.) 

Sadly, their teachable moment was that staying at a troubled company for the sake of seniority isn’t always a good career move that will be rewarded.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Your earlier post had referred to positives of a still-employed cruise consultant and a “teachable moment” for those who change jobs often and thus have less seniority.

Sitmar and Royal Viking Line were two cruise lines operating in the 1970s and 1980s which ceased to exist in the 1980s/90s. I was lucky that I had changed jobs and left those companies before that happened at my own timing and for my own career path reasons. I had Friends, people in their 40s to 60s, who were suddenly unemployed by those incidents and never able to find similar jobs, salaries, and benefits. (Younger people were less expensive to hire. This also happened in the airline industry with mergers.) 

Sadly, their teachable moment was that staying at a troubled company for the sake of seniority isn’t always a good career move that will be rewarded.

Thank you for your explanation.  I understand what you are saying.

Having survived RIF's with seniority, your post reminds me to be thankful for what I endured with those uncertain times.