On Board Credit

CMW5060

Hoping the cruise experts here can advise me!  We're still 'scheduled' to cruise to Alaska on the July 17th sailing from Seattle.  I've been hanging on until the official word came down that it isn't going to happen to contact Celebrity to move the cruise to 2021.  We had a $500 on board credit.  I booked a shore excursion and a dinner at Murano online thru the cruise planner using the $500 and have about $150 or so left.   If I go online and cancel both the excursion and the dinner now - does that money go back into the pot and would my onboard credit show back to $500?  Also would you advise to go ahead and move the cruise now - or wait to see when (or if) Celebrity cancels that July 17th sailing?  We booked thru Celebrity as well as our Celebrity Choice Air and have been paid in full since before the crisis threw everything down the tubes.  Thanks for your help!

1 minute ago, CMW5060 said:

Hoping the cruise experts here can advise me!  We're still 'scheduled' to cruise to Alaska on the July 17th sailing from Seattle.  I've been hanging on until the official word came down that it isn't going to happen to contact Celebrity to move the cruise to 2021.  We had a $500 on board credit.  I booked a shore excursion and a dinner at Murano online thru the cruise planner using the $500 and have about $150 or so left.   If I go online and cancel both the excursion and the dinner now - does that money go back into the pot and would my onboard credit show back to $500?  Also would you advise to go ahead and move the cruise now - or wait to see when (or if) Celebrity cancels that July 17th sailing?  We booked thru Celebrity as well as our Celebrity Choice Air and have been paid in full since before the crisis threw everything down the tubes.  Thanks for your help!

In my experience, when I cancel excursions (not sure I have done this with a dinner), the money immediately pops back up as available in my cruise planner account.  So that part seems easy.

My only question as to whether to move now or wait is, what happens to the air reservation?  Presumably that will be cancelled automatically (and I would hope without penalty to you) if Celebrity cancels the cruise.  But if you shift the cruise voluntarily to 2022, I am just not sure how that will affect your air reservations and whether there is a penalty to you.  Others must have been through this, and I hope that they can chime in.  If not I suppose you can just call Celebrity (or your TA) and ask this question.

Tom & Judy

I would not wait until Celebrity cancels.  If they do, you can not lift & shift with price protection.  When they cancel, your only option is a refund or the FCC unless that it ok with you.   If you cancel your cruise planner reservations, your're OBC will be back to $500.  I have never made air reservations so I have no knowledge on that.

12 minutes ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

I would not wait until Celebrity cancels.  If they do, you can not lift & shift with price protection

I'm not sure that is correct.  From the FAQ's it says you can do it if you have the 125% FCC.  If a refund has been started then you can't do it.  I think the point about forfeiting the 25% is a bit confusing as you are basically retaining the original price and promo.

Like others I suspect the airfare is going to dictate if you want to do it now or wait until they cancel.  If it's non-refundable fare I suspect it won't matter that it will be between you and the airline.  I think you really need to discuss this with Celebrity or your TA.

If I have a Future Cruise Credit of 125% issued from a suspended sailing, can reschedule the same cruise at the same price with the same promo for the next year?

Yes, but you will forfeit 25% of the 125% Future Cruise Credit.

58 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I'm not sure that is correct.  From the FAQ's it says you can do it if you have the 125% FCC.  If a refund has been started then you can't do it.  I think the point about forfeiting the 25% is a bit confusing as you are basically retaining the original price and promo.

If I have a Future Cruise Credit of 125% issued from a suspended sailing, can reschedule the same cruise at the same price with the same promo for the next year?

Yes, but you will forfeit 25% of the 125% Future Cruise Credit.

It is confusing.  Like you said, you lose the 25% if you keep the same sailing, so you're basically keeping the same price so I would rather L&S than have a FCC.  It says you can retain the promo, but doesn't specifically say you can keep perks or obc.  The word promo is very vague.  Another advantage to the L&S.  Thinking of all these different scenarios just makes my head spin. 

Don't worry about promo, you will keep everything you booked via the cruise fare.   Things bought on cruise planner can/will all be refunded and you can buy them again on the new sailing at prevailing prices.

Thanks everyone for the input!  We had a 2-day quick Bahama weekend  cruise schedule for April 4th on Infinity. When they cancelled sailings in March we ‘assumed’ based on info at time that if we did nothing, we’d receive the 125% fcc.  The whole cruise was $684.00 total. Last week we got a credit for $255.00 on our credit card from Celebrity. When I called they said we would be getting a certificate for balance if $428. That’s the 100% full cost of cruise not 125%. When I asked why they stated I did not contact them to let them know what we wanted so they only were obligated to refund 100%!!! Still havent received letter for that credit.  So confusing and hence why I dont want to be screwed on this Alaska cruise on July 17th. I think I will call and shift cruise to next year July as I had all 4 perks. First I’ll cancel excursions I made using onboard credit  and let it go back to $500 then shift cruise and 4 perks to next year. Not worth waiting for them to cancel and fught for credit. Just have to figure out airfare.  Dont see how they think they’ll be cruising in a weeks!!