Cruising After Open Heart Surgery

Hello Cruise Family,
So my family and I booked a cruise last year for the Carnival Breeze. Well looks like with this pandemic we actually will still be able to go as far as the last update from Carnival, our embarkation date is September 5th,2020. My only concern is that my father had open heart surgery two years ago and when we booked the cruise his doctor said it was okay for him to go. With Carnival's strict rules I don't know if he will be able to sail. Like his doctor still says that he is okay to cruise and will provide a letter for the cruise line.I just don't want to go all the way to the port and then Carnival won't let him cruise. Do you think we will be fine or what should I do?

you should not need any letter, many people get successful open heart surgery who recover fully

18 minutes ago, MyNewCruiseAddiction said:

With Carnival's strict rules

what strict rules are you referring to. 

• Like 1

If Carnival implements any new rules or restrictions related to COVID-19 when they resume operations, I am sure they will be well publicized so passengers show up prepared at the terminal. If your father’s doctor says it is okay for him to cruise, I don’t see there being any issue with Carnival allowing him to board their ship. 

• Like 2

I had a double bypass and aorta valve replacement on 10/16/2018. I went on a cruise 11/11/2018. It was approved by my surgeon. I would not normally have gone but it was booked months ahead. I asked the surgeon if I should cancel and he said no. He did want to see me before the cruise for a final release (11/6). It was not the best cruise. I moved around ok on the ship and sat in the sun on the Lido. My appetite had not fully recovered. However, I was constantly cold. My wife was not. It was my condition. I went on another cruise in January 2019 and I was back to normal (3 months). I went snorkelling in St Thomas. I was 63 at the time. Also, I did not tell Carnival and did not ask for any special considerations (handicap boarding) that would signal an issue.

• Like 2

The OP states the open heart surgery was 2 years ago.  I'm guessing the OP thinks that a doctor's approval is necessary to cruise, but that consideration has been discontinued.

Unless the patient had long lasting complications from the surgery, or any other medical issues, he should be good to go.  Again, Carnival and other lines have stopped asking for the over 70 age group to get medically clear before boarding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MyNewCruiseAddiction said:

Thanks to everyone who replied and helped me. The strict rules I am talking about is the one the CDC and CLIA had put in place in order to board the ship due to the COVID-19

post a link please, never seen anything on CDC and rules for boarding, only the 100 day order

17 hours ago, MyNewCruiseAddiction said:
Hello Cruise Family,
So my family and I booked a cruise last year for the Carnival Breeze. Well looks like with this pandemic we actually will still be able to go as far as the last update from Carnival, our embarkation date is September 5th,2020. My only concern is that my father had open heart surgery two years ago and when we booked the cruise his doctor said it was okay for him to go. With Carnival's strict rules I don't know if he will be able to sail. Like his doctor still says that he is okay to cruise and will provide a letter for the cruise line.I just don't want to go all the way to the port and then Carnival won't let him cruise. Do you think we will be fine or what should I do?

1 hour ago, coevan said:

post a link please, never seen anything on CDC and rules for boarding, only the 100 day order

I’m diabetic and have been cruising with it since 2004. We have a cruise booked since last year for September 5th this year and plan to be on it. I see no problem with your health. If you feel good I wish you happy sailing.

To ease your mind, as long as he is released by his doctor and he has no additional treatment required other than maybe medication they should ok. I have had four bypasses and the issue has never came up on 7 cruises since my surgery .  If you have a worry I would get the cruise insurance as it will provide medical coverage if he has an issue either on ship in a foreign port. Other than that tell him to go , enjoy, it will do him wonders, it did me. Not to be a busy body, understanding it’s your dad, don’t obsess about it, he’ll be fine.