Charleston hotels

ChosenOne

hoping to be sailing in October out of Charleston.   3 people, one being my 80 yr old mom.  Holiday Inn riverview or Cambria Riverview?  If you have any recommendations for hotels or things to do in Charleston as we will have a partial and one full day there before our cruise

I haven't stayed at either of these as I live here, but the HI will give you a better view of downtown.  Will you have a car or are you going to be using taxi/uber or something?  Neither one is really close (walking distance) to anything touristy.  Hard to tell you of things to do as we don't know what your interests are.  There is the Yorktown, Ft Sumter, the plantations, the city market and so on.  If you want the downtown stuff you might want to find a hotel in the historic district downtown, you'll pay more but will be in walking distance to many things. (I am assuming your mom is mobile as you didn't say otherwise).   There are a few threads in this section with stuff to do here, just scroll and find them. (not trying to be a schmuck, it's just that not much has changed.)   Hopefully by Oct everything will be fully back to normal.  I know the last couple months when I get home for my days off I have been bored to tears sitting at home. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TruckerDave said:

I haven't stayed at either of these as I live here, but the HI will give you a better view of downtown.  Will you have a car or are you going to be using taxi/uber or something?  Neither one is really close (walking distance) to anything touristy.  Hard to tell you of things to do as we don't know what your interests are.  There is the Yorktown, Ft Sumter, the plantations, the city market and so on.  If you want the downtown stuff you might want to find a hotel in the historic district downtown, you'll pay more but will be in walking distance to many things. (I am assuming your mom is mobile as you didn't say otherwise).   There are a few threads in this section with stuff to do here, just scroll and find them. (not trying to be a schmuck, it's just that not much has changed.)   Hopefully by Oct everything will be fully back to normal.  I know the last couple months when I get home for my days off I have been bored to tears sitting at home. 

THANKS FOR THE INPUT.   I should have been more detailed in my question.  HI has a free shuttle to downtown that leaves you downtown and also has a free shuttle to the port so that may sway our choice. HI reviews aren't as good but I see on their website they have recently refurbished the hotel.    Downtown hotels are expensive and leave much to be desired if you are trying to get 3 adults in one room.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:51 AM, ChosenOne said:

THANKS FOR THE INPUT.   I should have been more detailed in my question.  HI has a free shuttle to downtown that leaves you downtown and also has a free shuttle to the port so that may sway our choice. HI reviews aren't as good but I see on their website they have recently refurbished the hotel.    Downtown hotels are expensive and leave much to be desired if you are trying to get 3 adults in one room.

Of course they cost more, but hotels in the historic area give you a chance to really enjoy that beautiful old city- rather than hanging out at some motel on the highway.   Think about spending a bit more - to get a lot more out of your trip.

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course they cost more, but hotels in the historic area give you a chance to really enjoy that beautiful old city- rather than hanging out at some motel on the highway.   Think about spending a bit more - to get a lot more out of your trip.

With 3 adults in a room the options in downtown, especially the cute, historic places I'd love to stay, just don't have the room necessary for us.  And with the higher cost we wouldn't be getting 2 rooms to accommodate us.  Certainly if I ever travel back there with just my hubby I will take your advice!  Thanks

4 hours ago, ChosenOne said:

With 3 adults in a room the options in downtown, especially the cute, historic places I'd love to stay, just don't have the room necessary for us.  And with the higher cost we wouldn't be getting 2 rooms to accommodate us.  Certainly if I ever travel back there with just my hubby I will take your advice!  Thanks

If you are OK with three in a room, the Indigo Inn has rooms with two queen size beds - about $200 per night - including afternoon snacks and a great breakfast. Easy walk to anywhere in historic district.   I did the “three in a room” there on one of our stays.

If it doesn’t work this time, keep it in mind for your next visit - and try “High Cotton” for a great dinner.

Edited by navybankerteacher

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you are OK with three in a room, the Indigo Inn has rooms with two queen size beds - about $200 per night - including afternoon snacks and a great breakfast. Easy walk to anywhere in historic district.   I did the “three in a room” there on one of our stays.

If it doesn’t work this time, keep it in mind for your next visit - and try “High Cotton” for a great dinner.

Thanks!  I will check both suggestions out

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 1:45 PM, ChosenOne said:

Thanks!  I will check both suggestions out

And before dinner, splurge and have cocktails at the Pavilion Bar, atop the Market Pavilion Hotel.  They are only a short block away from each other and the rooftop atmosphere at the Pavilion Bar is lovely, you can see the harbor, the Ravenel Bridge, etc.  Don't look at the prices, just consider it a splurge, LOL. 

(It's one of my favorite places to go downtown.  Anytime I have reason to be downtown, like if I have to go by the courthouse for some reason or the Apple store, I treat myself to lunch up there.)