P&O suite vs premium cruise line.

wowzz

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As the OP, I was looking at suites on P&O versus "standard" cabins on Viking, Saga, Oceania etc. If you book early enough, suites on P&O do appear to be quite a bit cheaper than cabins on the premium lines, but at the end of the day, suite or no suite, you are still on a mass market ship, with thousands of other pax, compared to 900 or so on a luxury line. Also, you have to factor in the cost of specialty dining, drinks etc on P&O, whereas these are normally included with the other lines.

For what it's worth, my current position is that I do not think that the extra cost of a suite on P&O is value for money, unless you can snap up a bargain at launch, because you do not get the total onboard ambiance of a premium ship. We will book on a premium line if we want to celebrate a special birthday or anniversary, and revert to a "normal" balcony cabin on P&O for run of the mill cruises. 

Obviously just our personal point of view, as is always the case in these sort of discussions.  

Seems fair enough to me. 😊

52 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As the OP, I was looking at suites on P&O versus "standard" cabins on Viking, Saga, Oceania etc. If you book early enough, suites on P&O do appear to be quite a bit cheaper than cabins on the premium lines, but at the end of the day, suite or no suite, you are still on a mass market ship, with thousands of other pax, compared to 900 or so on a luxury line. Also, you have to factor in the cost of specialty dining, drinks etc on P&O, whereas these are normally included with the other lines.

For what it's worth, my current position is that I do not think that the extra cost of a suite on P&O is value for money, unless you can snap up a bargain at launch, because you do not get the total onboard ambiance of a premium ship. We will book on a premium line if we want to celebrate a special birthday or anniversary, and revert to a "normal" balcony cabin on P&O for run of the mill cruises. 

Obviously just our personal point of view, as is always the case in these sort of discussions.  

True what you say about special occasions but to be honest as long as we’re enjoying our holiday I would not pay the extra,we spent my 60th on Marella explorer 2 and had a brilliant time so the more holidays I get the better.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:49 AM, wowzz said:

First of all, apologies for a slightly convoluted title.

As I wrote on another thread, yesterday was our wedding anniversary. In two years time we will reach a significant number,  and I have just started to do some research as to how we should best celebrate this momentous occasion, bearing in mind that cruuse prices are not yet available for May 2022.

In essence, we are trying to decide between a suite on P&O versus a "standard" balcony cabin on an upmarket line such as Viking or Oceana.  Our thinking at the moment is that the premium line would be preferable,  as it is unlikely that we will ever be able to afford to do a similar cruise again. Also, the famous property adage that it is better to be in the worst house in the best street, rather than the best house in the worst street, comes to mind.

If anyone has any experiences that they would care to share, Mrs W and I would be most grateful. 

This was our Suite on Oceana.

For quality and price P&O suites are excellent.

Graham

Screenshot_20200527_144649_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20200527_144637_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20200527_144625_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20200527_144227_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

31 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

True what you say about special occasions but to be honest as long as we’re enjoying our holiday I would not pay the extra,we spent my 60th on Marella explorer 2 and had a brilliant time so the more holidays I get the better.

But sometimes we prefer quality over quantity. 

21 hours ago, wowzz said:

But sometimes we prefer quality over quantity. 

Everyone’s different we prefer quantity with reasonable standards So we can have 2 to 3 holidays a year abroad and our usual escape to Brean Somerset.

45 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Everyone’s different we prefer quantity with reasonable standards So we can have 2 to 3 holidays a year abroad and our usual escape to Brean Somerset.

Yup, we try for one month long holiday, plus 2 or 3 fortnight holidays,  but only one of those will be a cruise.