CRUISE COVID TESTING

Another interesting post and something i do have some insight on.  The reason i dont think point of care testing will work at the cruise ship terminal is its relatively slow, up to 15 min per test meaning you would either have to have a lot of instruments or a lot of time to test 3000+ people.  Also the cost.  Its $100 per test and right now, our insurance carriers are paying that, but there will be push back as they get reoccurring tests. So that would mean it would cost the cruise line $300k+ per cruise to test the passengers. 

On 5/25/2020 at 10:48 PM, botbot said:

Testing has advanced in the last 4 weeks, and the projection is that there will be a "pregnancy" type test available for "If you have it", in exactly the same way as the current test they have for "if you have had it".

Emirates are trialling testing before you get on a plane, with an answer in 20 minutes.

Not forgetting of course, 8 weeks ago there wasn't a true test, now there is.

In another 8 weeks, the tests will be 99.99% accurate.

21 hours ago, SRF said:

You are backwards.

There has been a quick test for "if you have it currently" for some 6 weeks.  Pres even showed it.

There is not yet a quick test for "if you had it previously."  And the current tests have a high error rate.

Actually botbot has it right.  The quick test can only test for the presence of antibodies in the blood.  It has a 20% false negative and cannot tell testers if the virus is active, which makes it quite unaccepatable for a sreening test.

The only current test for the active virus uses DNA style testing to confirm which viral infections are present.  The results can be available in as little as an hour but that is 1 test per hour per each piece of equipment.

On 5/25/2020 at 2:03 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Medicare does not cover anything outside of the U.S. or its territories. Typical suppliments only pick up co-pays and deductibles but not anything denied by medicare. So you might as well consider the over 65 folks as self pays also.

Kaiser Senior Advantage plan, which incorporates Medicare as primary payer, covers a member anywhere in the world, including reimbursement for medical evacuation.

1 minute ago, pcur said:

Kaiser Senior Advantage plan, which incorporates Medicare as primary payer, covers a member anywhere in the world, including reimbursement for medical evacuation.

Senior plans that take over for medicare work differently than straight medicare or medicare supplement plans. Though I have to say it sounds like you have great benefits with your plan.

On 5/26/2020 at 8:43 AM, TheMastodon said:

I think you are done cruising Karen.

Karen:  Pejorative (expressing contempt or disapproval) slang term Karen is used to typify a person perceived to be entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is considered appropriate or necessary.

CruiseCritic Guidelines:

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them, don't attack their race, heritage, or their sexual orientation, etc. If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. 

16 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Senior plans that take over for medicare work differently than straight medicare or medicare supplement plans. Though I have to say it sounds like you have great benefits with your plan.

They are great, and I asked when we became eligible, so I would understand what kind of travel insurance we needed.