Cunard Princess

ged1967

Let’s have break from the doom & gloom of Coronavirus.

My first Cruise was on Princess back in November 1992. A 10 day sailing from Malaga. 

It was a proper cruise; dressing up for dinner, midnight buffets & chocoholics buffets in the main dining room, masquerade balls. 

I loved it it and being a youngster just 25 I think I was the youngest pax! 

Any memories of her? 

My very 1st cruise ever was aboard the Cunard Princess 7N r/t from NYC to Bermuda 

in 1978 . She was brand new 😁

This was when cruising was cruising , BV Parties , streamers , ocean views from all over , felt the sea , docked downtown , and more that is gone from today’s cruises.☹️

3 hours ago, ExArkie said:

But if we all go in together...US$16M divided by 1076 passenger capacity is ONLY about US$15k per person.

And, if that methodology is extended to a timeshare model, it averages out at around US$286 a week which is a little under US$41 per person per night. Any takers?

I  was 26 when I was onboard the CUNARD PRINCESS for a one week cruise from Whittier, Alaska to Vancouver, BC over the 1986 July 4 Holiday. Captain John Burton Hall was master and Captain Ronald Warrick was the staff captain. At the Cunard World party I mentioned to Captain Warrick that I purchased the QE2 book which he coauthored with Bill Flayhart while I was on a cruise on the Str MISSISSIPPI QUEEN to Pittsburgh a year prior. Capt. Warrick was quite interested in hearing more about the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN and thrilled that his book was for sale in a bookstore in Pittsburgh. The next day he invited me up to the bridge as we sailed down the Inside Passage. What an honor!

Edited by Calliope

I still vividly remember our first cruise ever, on the Cunard Princess for a 3 night Vancouver-LA repo cruise in 1986. Many aspects were a surprise from our expectations of a "luxury liner."

• The theatre was a skewed little room with a 3 gun projector in the ceiling
  • The indoor/outdoor disco had turntables that weren't protected from the ship motion, so the records kept skipping
  • The show we caught in the showroom could've aired unedited as a sketch on SNL. The entertainment was a 3 person song and dance troupe from South Africa led by a bewigged, girdled gentleman in a stretch white jumpsuit with lots of rhinestones and long spangled fringe. Similarly attired, but with headdresses, were his wife and another female dancer. Lola Heatherton would be proud. (I know I'm mixing shows, that character was on SCTV). Particularly enjoyable was when he would attempt to do a lift, but the female partner had to duck to avoid a collision between her bejeweled headdress and the low-hanging lights. I think the CD mentioned that they were aboard for a try-out.

In spite of all these shortcomings, we had a wonderful time. Most importantly, I realized that there was something special about the sea. Yeah, and something special about Cunard. (Our next trip was an impeccable trip to Hawaii on the QE2 in 1989) We've been on 35 cruises since - and were booked to be on the return half of a roundtrip crossing right now.

Edited by MarkBearSF

We'd done some river and coastal cruises before but she was our first 'real cruise', and our first (of 10) Cunard ship(s).

14 days in the Med. Venice, Katakolon, Crete, Rhodes, Alexandria, Kusadasi, Istanbul, Lesbos, Mikonos, and Athens.

Like Mark I was taken by the 'luxury' aspects. Formica surfaces with aluminium edging. Curtains instead of wardrobe doors. The entertainment seems to have improved considerably by the time we were on, 1992. The dancers had obviously got used to the quirks of the stage. I remember one of them telling us they could only do lifts at certain spots on the floor.

Cunard Princess 1992 part 1

Cunard Princess 1992 part 2

Cunard Princess 1992 part 3

We sailed on the Princess earlier than 1978.   It was to be a Caribbean cruise from Florida.   On arrival at the airport (we flew down separately the day of the cruise) we were met by Cunard Reps.   All of the passengers were flown to St. Croix as the ship was having engine problems.   It was the best trip.   Captain Jackson called it the mystery sailing as it was always a mystery as to what port we would make.   Even the last evening we did not know if we would make it to Florida, but we did.   Everyone on board had fun and it felt like an adventure.   We were in our twenties but don’t remember being the youngest on board.   Didn’t attend the shows (if there were any) but we socialized and also had drinks with the officers.   The crew was still all British and it was easy to talk to them.