question for Notamermaid

pacmom

Just found out that our Sept. cruise on Oceania is cancelled.  We are thinking of replacing it with 2 weeks at the Berlin and Dresden Christmas markets,  When do you think a decision will be made on whether the Christmas markets will open?  Thank you for all your help in the past.  You, Steamboats and GMT really keep us up on al the latest changes.

Stay well and safe.  Pat

• Like 1

pacmom,

that is a very tricky question. As I write the federal government and the Länder are discussion the future of "Großveranstaltungen". In the papers for the meeting it says that large-scale events are proposed to be prohibited till the end of October. That looks likely to happen. The size is not determined but a city Christmas market will definitely fall into that category. Now, the markets start in November but as the plans and stallholders are chosen in Summer rather than Autumn decisions will be made soon I should think. A few small markets that do not rely that much on tourists and mass turnover have been cancelled, i.e. regional ones. I cannot imagine Dresden cancelling, especially as the main celebration is outdoors. However, hygiene measures that may still be in place then could make things awkward. Dresden in winter without its market is like football without a ball.

In short, things are still in flux and as for Dresden I think it is best if you contact them: https://www.dresden.de/en/tourism/attractions/events/christmas-season.php

notamermaid

• Like 1

To quote our minister president who answered yesterday "it´s way too early to say anything" when he was asked about the Nürnberger Christkindlmarkt.

We might have a quite summer season and then when it´s getting colder in October a second wave might set in, maybe in November...  So nobody can tell you when they might make a decision about cancelling the markets or not. Maybe we do have a vaccine in September, maybe not...

steamboats

steamboats,

Yes that is another problem. We might feel confident about Summer and early Autumn, but there is always the warning about Winter. And if things get too bad, the Federal government could step in in November and take charge (sort of - meaning recommending the state), meaning an event like a Christmas market and many like it could be cancelled on the "Land" state authority level at relatively short notice.

pacmom,

Travelling from somewhere in Germany to see the markets I think would be okay if there was a mishap, but flying from America or even further afield, I am not sure I would want to take the risk right now, I mean booking in June. A consideration for you might be how much would you feel a financial burden and the annoyance if you cannot see the markets. And could you implement a plan B? Like hopping over the border into the Ore Mountains. Dresden in Saxony could, by the way, on a state level have different restrictions than Berlin. Even regional lock downs can happen if necessary. Regional authorities are keen to avoid them, but there is no guarantee whatsoever this will not happen.

As I said Dresden is not likely to cancel its market that has been going for over 500 years, but a legal or "moral" obligation might take the decision out of the organizers' hands.

notamermaid

Well, my friends in Baden Baden encouraged me to only make fully refundable reservations as though the dates are set, that does not mean it will happen.  I have fully refundable reservations and it is much cheaper to use Baden Baden as a base and go to Strasbourg, Frieburg, Heidelburg, etc than book a river cruise, that I have to pay for in advance and wait up to 90 days for a refund if it is cancelled.  I do miss Europe. We love the Black Forest, Rhine and the Alsace/Lorraine area.  Easy driving and fabulous restaurants and wineries.

I agree, cruisr. A land based tour is the type of holiday that is easier to handle in these uncertain times.

The Black Forest area is lovely. The Gengenbach Advent Calendar has been recommended to me. As it does not really involve people, hopefully this will be happening this year!

notamermaid

• Like 1

Thank you , notamermaid and steamboats.  We will have vouchers from the flights we would have taken in Sept.  and enough free nights at hotels that we are not concerned about the money aspect.

We have bookmarked the Dresden sight, and might need an extra day or two there.  Hoping the markets will be open.  We are traveling with friends and have been on 4 Christmas market river cruises.  Time for a landbased trip.

Again, many thanks.  Pat

My pleasure, Pat.

Sounds as if you are good to go, ready to take on the uncertainty. Even if the markets do not come about, hopefully normal everyday life will be as good as it is now - if not better. I expect all the lights to be there and the shops will be decked out as well. The Ore mountains are delightful I have heard and the Berlin surroundings are probably also great in winter. There is always Potsdam: https://en.potsdam.de/

When you switch to the German pages you get updates on the Coronavirus situation that you could send through google translate.

Edit: I have just noticed that Potsdam has its own section for the planned Christmas events, if would like to follow up on it, here it is: https://en.potsdam.de/kategorie/christmas-potsdam

Whatever you choose to do, I am sure you will have fun and make the best of the situation.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid