Would carnival bankruptcy be a good thing resulting in lower prices

Windsurfboy

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

Absolutely agree. It will be a buyer's market (if indeed there are any buyers). Older, inefficient ships will be sold for scrap value.  

Like the Costa Victoria

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It's just a gamble, isn't it.  I take the view that markets are far higher at the moment than they should be, given the structural damage done to economies and companies, so it's sitting in a stocks and shares ISA, all in cash, waiting for a rebuying opportunity.  That may not come, of course, in which case my timing will have proved wrong - yet again!

I think Harry is logical but also brave. The Question is the market logical and where is all this money from the magic money trees going to end up, history says higher asset values, but the past may not repeat itself.  I note outside of the travel and hospitality industries (which includes aerospace) most of the companies going yo the wall were those whose future was doubtful any way, e.g retail .

As for leisure,  the long term trend is positive, but holidays may change.  I think those that can afford it will opt for much more personal space. Small hotels , small ships but with more space per person will flourish. 

The big mega ships and mega all inclusive hotels , will have problems everyone looking for space. So like someone earlier said , cruises may revert to the past.  

As for investment anyone's guess, but the good companies will survive and flourish, poor ones will go to wall faster 

21 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I think Harry is logical but also brave. The Question is the market logical and where is all this money from the magic money trees going to end up, history says higher asset values, but the past may not repeat itself.  I note outside of the travel and hospitality industries (which includes aerospace) most of the companies going yo the wall were those whose future was doubtful any way, e.g retail .

As for leisure,  the long term trend is positive, but holidays may change.  I think those that can afford it will opt for much more personal space. Small hotels , small ships but with more space per person will flourish. 

The big mega ships and mega all inclusive hotels , will have problems everyone looking for space. So like someone earlier said , cruises may revert to the past.  

As for investment anyone's guess, but the good companies will survive and flourish, poor ones will go to wall faster 

To a certain extent, that's my view as well. I'm hanging on to what I've got, as history show that in the long term the equity market always outperforms cash.

Having said that, I've talked down the future prospects of Carnival so much that I've just sold my 100 shares !  

3 hours ago, the english lady said:

We have a cruise for next summer, that we transferred to from this april, on the assumption that all this would be done and dusted by then. 

I then read last night (pass as to where) some medical person said they thought the virus was something we would have to live with for years, and it wouldn't disappear like SARS did. The world would have to adjust its way of living to accomodate the virus.

That really depressed me, as does this thread. I hoped that things would be better next year, now I am not so sure. With Carnival UK making hundreds redundant in Southampton yesterday, I just feel there is a whole world out there that will not exist in a years time. 

It feels like we've been living with it for years already. I thought it was going to peter out but the infection rates worldwide are just too high.

Another spike in Melbourne when the Aussies thought they'd more or less eradicated it is very depressing.

The US have lifted their lockdown way to early with 70000 new cases a day.

Guess we've got to try and live with it, if that's the case cruising will be a term in the past tense sadly.