The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

It's a sunset today from my 2018 Grand Alaska/Panama trip.  On August 4 MS Westerdam was sailing the Inside Passage from Ketchikan to Vancouver:

dusk0804.jpg

Roy

• Like 8

18 hours ago, BWIVince said:

For some reason that photo (and the description behind it) reminds me of the Richie Havens version of Amtrak’s All Aboard Amtrak jingle in the late 80’s/early 90’s.  That was one of my favorite campaigns from any travel supplier of the era.

There’s something about a train, that’s maaaaagic…

Vince

I remember that jingle 😉

I also remember another 80’s ad campaign. It was brought home when I was aboard the California Zephyr traveling from Reno to the Bay Area on President’s Day in ‘86. A rare tropical winter storm hit the Sierras with heavy rain rather than the usual snow-producing stuff from the Gulf of Alaska, resulting in widespread mudslides. 

We made it to Truckee, where we sat for hours due to the deteriorating conditions ahead. The host railroad then decided to send us back to Reno. But about halfway back to Reno we became trapped by a new mudslide. So back to Truckee we go. They couldn’t call buses to rescue myself and 599 holiday weekend travelers because the mudslides had closed parallel I-80, so they had no choice but to make another stab at Reno, where sufficient lodging existed. At this point a fellow passenger in the car I was riding taped to the window the full page newspaper ad “AMTRAK’S NEW FARES WILL HAVE YOU COMING AND GOING”. 

(the saga concluded with Amtrak housing us in Reno overnight, then chartering a DC10 from long-defunct World Airways to air lift us to Oakland the following day. With 600 passengers aboard, the plane had to make two trips to get everyone out)

• Like 9

8 hours ago, BEAV said:

I remember that jingle 😉

I also remember another 80’s ad campaign. It was brought home when I was aboard the California Zephyr traveling from Reno to the Bay Area on President’s Day in ‘86. A rare tropical winter storm hit the Sierras with heavy rain rather than the usual snow-producing stuff from the Gulf of Alaska, resulting in widespread mudslides. 

We made it to Truckee, where we sat for hours due to the deteriorating conditions ahead. The host railroad then decided to send us back to Reno. But about halfway back to Reno we became trapped by a new mudslide. So back to Truckee we go. They couldn’t call buses to rescue myself and 599 holiday weekend travelers because the mudslides had closed parallel I-80, so they had no choice but to make another stab at Reno, where sufficient lodging existed. At this point a fellow passenger in the car I was riding taped to the window the full page newspaper ad “AMTRAK’S NEW FARES WILL HAVE YOU COMING AND GOING”. 

(the saga concluded with Amtrak housing us in Reno overnight, then chartering a DC10 from long-defunct World Airways to air lift us to Oakland the following day. With 600 passengers aboard, the plane had to make two trips to get everyone out)

This tale is the only one I have read on this board that might make our own Roy envious: "dang what a great journey!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

This tale is the only one I have read on this board that might make our own Roy envious: "dang what a great journey!"

Actually, it brought back memories.  It was an exclusively train trip back in 1999 and it's the only time I've been put off a train before reaching my destination.  I was on the California Zepher to the end of the line at Emoryville, and then connecting to the Coast Starlight up to Seattle. 

As we were climbing Donner Pass we hit a blizzard and the train was blocked by heavy snow.  We had a couple hour wait for a plow to come and clear a path for us and while it was brutal outside I either relaxed in my compartment or enjoyed lunch in the dining car.  It was a minimal inconvenience but a really poignant thinking of the history of the place and how that party was so devastated.  By the time the train started moving again the conductor came by and said "You're not going to Emoryville anymore; you must get off at Sacramento or else you'll miss your connecting train.

Roy

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Actually, it brought back memories.  It was an exclusively train trip back in 1999 and it's the only time I've been put off a train before reaching my destination.  I was on the California Zepher to the end of the line at Emoryville, and then connecting to the Coast Starlight up to Seattle. 

As we were climbing Donner Pass we hit a blizzard and the train was blocked by heavy snow.  We had a couple hour wait for a plow to come and clear a path for us and while it was brutal outside I either relaxed in my compartment or enjoyed lunch in the dining car.  It was a minimal inconvenience but a really poignant thinking of the history of the place and how that party was so devastated.  By the time the train started moving again the conductor came by and said "You're not going to Emoryville anymore; you must get off at Sacramento or else you'll miss your connecting train.

Roy

Oh gosh, of course you had a travel experience that includes the words "Donner Pass," "blizzard" and "dining car."  That one time I think I would have gone with the dinner salad.😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

I’d pay good $$$ to attend a weekend symposium on Roy’s creative itinerary planning, combined with his travel experiences. 

Crystal needs to put him on the lecture circuit. 👍

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BEAV said:

I’d pay good $$$ to attend a weekend symposium on Roy’s creative itinerary planning, combined with his travel experiences. 

I doubt that would fly.  I can't imagine Crystal Management going for a lecture "How to combine Crystal with Holland America, Cunard, Amtrak, and others.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

35 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I doubt that would fly.  I can't imagine Crystal Management going for a lecture "How to combine Crystal with Holland America, Cunard, Amtrak, and others.

Roy

The trick is getting them to comp you an A&K tour so you can blog and lecture on how to use Crystal as transportation to and from the tour.  😉  You were an influencer before that was even a thing.

Vince

• Like 11

13 hours ago, BEAV said:

Beav, if you ever want to plan a weekend in Baltimore, I’d like to be on the guest list, too! Think about that. Three of the fun folks are already there! Vince gets to approve the date first.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, May B said:

Beav, if you ever want to plan a weekend in Baltimore, I’d like to be on the guest list, too! Think about that. Three of the fun folks are already there! Vince gets to approve the date first.

Just say "crab cakes at Faidley's" and I'm there!

• Like 4

OK, this one's going to be even duller than my typical posts(that's an invitation to scroll on, after this you've been warned.)

When @BWIVincedid his typically thorough and even-handed review of Osteria the concept of "authenticity" in cooking came up.  As an enthusiastic, if not very proficient, cook I have to admit this has been a bugbear with me for a long time.  The bulk of the history of food is a story of migration/melding/appropriation/blending/borrowing across a broad arc of time.  Whole migratory patterns, some peaceful, some caused by disaster(natural and man-made) can be discerned on many a plate of food.  One obvious example: Umi Uma.  Think the concept of Japanese-Peruvian just sprang from the mind of Nobu?  Try a search on Nikkei cuisine(the cuisine, not the stock market.)  Lots of history on that plate in front of you.

Anyway, the Caesar Salad(invented by Italian immigrants at their eponymous restaurant in Tijuana) is being celebrated for its 100th anniversary.  It's another perfect example.  If you're hungry for more(ha!) here's an interesting article from the Post(I especially like the comments of Philip Korshak:)

https://wapo.st/4d4LdgO

Mangia!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

OK, this one's going to be even duller than my typical posts(that's an invitation to scroll on, after this you've been warned.)

When @BWIVincedid his typically thorough and even-handed review of Osteria the concept of "authenticity" in cooking came up.  As an enthusiastic, if not very proficient, cook I have to admit this has been a bugbear with me for a long time.  The bulk of the history of food is a story of migration/melding/appropriation/blending/borrowing across a broad arc of time.  Whole migratory patterns, some peaceful, some caused by disaster(natural and man-made) can be discerned on many a plate of food.  One obvious example: Umi Uma.  Think the concept of Japanese-Peruvian just sprang from the mind of Nobu?  Try a search on Nikkei cuisine(the cuisine, not the stock market.)  Lots of history on that plate in front of you.

Anyway, the Caesar Salad(invented by Italian immigrants at their eponymous restaurant in Tijuana) is being celebrated for its 100th anniversary.  It's another perfect example.  If you're hungry for more(ha!) here's an interesting article from the Post(I especially like the comments of Philip Korshak:)

https://wapo.st/4d4LdgO

Mangia!

On a completely different but strangely parallel note...  I'm not putting this article out there as interesting, but for some reason I thought of you when I read it.  The nature of why food goes viral and restauranteurs efforts to establish and maintain standards just reminded me of the Chez and its chef/owner, even if the market segment is different.  🙂 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/style/of-interest/2024/08/02/viral-caesar-wrap-dc/

Vince

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

On a completely different but strangely parallel note...  I'm not putting this article out there as interesting, but for some reason I thought of you when I read it.  The nature of why food goes viral and restauranteurs efforts to establish and maintain standards just reminded me of the Chez and its chef/owner, even if the market segment is different.  🙂 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/style/of-interest/2024/08/02/viral-caesar-wrap-dc/

Vince

Note to self:

Step 1) Get the Chez a Tik Tok account

Step 2) The Chicken Caesar salad crepe!

Step3) Profit!

An aside, getting back to the Caesar salad story: I knew it originated at a restaurant in Tijuana, but always found the Tijuana part a bit of a head scratcher.  The Post article filled in the missing detail: Prohibition.  

• Like 4

I have no photos for August 6.  This is a sunset from July , 2014 from Radiance of the Seas on an Alaska cruise where we docked in Juneau that day:

dusk0812.jpg

Roy

• Like 7

Today's sunrise is from my 2016 Northwest Passage trip.  I could have booked Crystal Serenity in Vancouver August 6 for a 10-day B2B with the NWP but chose instead a 5-day "cruise" on the Alaska ferry Kennicott followed by a 5-day visit to Denali.  On August 7 Kennicott was on the Inside Passage bound for Ketchikan.

morning0807.jpg

Roy

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Same day as Roy just posted August 7, 2016. We were on Serenity in Vancouver.We had boarded the day before and had an overnight in Vancouver.

Keith

P1100441.jpeg.fc80bed723f337126ff0a2d45beaed7c.jpeg

8 years almost to the day until your next Alaska Adventure.

Roy

• Like 4

Another sunset, this one from my 2014 Alaska cruise on Radiance of the Seas.  On August 8 we started our journey from Vancouver to Seward:

daysend0808.jpg

Roy

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Waiting for our flight to Vancouver this morning from Dallas Fort World Airline Club Lounge.

Keith

IMG_4379.jpeg.dd1388b3519ca0b490a254e81bb4b807.jpeg

Keith, Fort Worth would be so flattered to know you or your auto-correct elevated it to world status!

Have a great and safe and healthy trip.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Waiting for our flight to Vancouver this morning from Dallas Fort World Airline Club Lounge.

Keith

IMG_4379.jpeg.dd1388b3519ca0b490a254e81bb4b807.jpeg

I hope you and Anne Marie have a safe and uneventful flight this morning!  I know that club well, though it's not my favorite of the DFW set...  But for the proximity to your gate this morning, I'd be there in a heartbeat instead of trekking to other ones.  🙂 

Vince

• Like 2

1 hour ago, May B said:

Keith, Fort Worth would be so flattered to know you or your auto-correct elevated it to world status!

Have a great and safe and healthy trip.

Many thanks to Auto Correct.  LOL.

Keith

• Like 1