Process for refund of future cruise deposit

lorri111

Thinking ahead, as everyone is, about probability of having to cancel upcoming cruises, what is the process where you are booked with a FCD? Is the FDC reinstated in your profile for future use? How long does it take to become available to use again (looking at rebooking a cruise further down the line and hope it happens quickly) and does it retain original expiry date or start the 2 years again?

Yes, reinstated and it retains the original expiry date.  If the FCD has expired by the time you cancel, then you will get a cash refund. 

That said, expect a HUGE delay as Princess is still working through past and current cruises and not up to most future-dated voyages. 

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, reinstated and it retains the original expiry date.  If the FCD has expired by the time you cancel, then you will get a cash refund. 

That said, expect a HUGE delay as Princess is still working through past and current cruises and not up to most future-dated voyages. 

Oh dear, I hoped that since it didn't involve an actual refund to a bank account but just a notation on my profile it might be quicker

1 minute ago, lorri111 said:

Oh dear, I hoped that since it didn't involve an actual refund to a bank account but just a notation on my profile it might be quicker

Well, you might be right.  It is possible that a phone call to cancel a booking that doesn't involve "special" processing by Princess could get done like it did pre-COVID.  I don't recall for sure from reading past posts (I have stopped reading almost all posts about refunds from cancelled cruises).

If Princess is cancelling the cruise, you might be offered the option to have its value doubled as a future cruise credit instead of re-instated as an FCD.

For most people, doubling a $100 FCD to have an FCC of $200 is more future value than the OBC using an FCD can bring most of the time since only voyages over 17 days have OBC worth more than $100. However, doing this does mean you need to put down a regular deposit or use another FCD for that next cruise.

6 minutes ago, caribill said:

If Princess is cancelling the cruise, you might be offered the option to have its value doubled as a future cruise credit instead of re-instated as an FCD.

For most people, doubling a $100 FCD to have an FCC of $200 is more future value than the OBC using an FCD can bring most of the time since only voyages over 17 days have OBC worth more than $100. However, doing this does mean you need to put down a regular deposit or use another FCD for that next cruise.

Don't want to wait till Princess decides to cancel it; as we live in Australia and cruise is in the Med I would have to make a decision about flights some way out. And certainly don't want to have to put down big deposit in this environment!

When/if it happens, be sure you know the amount you are getting back.  During phase 1, I took option 1 for the increased FCC.  I received it all in about 90 days.  Then about two weeks later, I received an email stating they over-refunded by $100.00 and if I didn't pay that $100 back, I would be switched to option 2.  They emailed me before the $100 FCD came back to my credit card, so I was upset with the situation. I couldn't figure out where this 100 dollars was.  I don't want more than what  was offered, but the email seemed more threatening than necessary, especially given it was their mistake and it took 90ish days to see the credit. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lorri111 said:

If YOU cancel the cruise that has an FCD applied, you will most likely get it back into your Captains Circle account immediately, that is, if it is not expired.  It is only when Princess cancels the sailing, the account is locked down and has to go through the return process, which of course, takes longer.  With that being said, I had a Sept sailing with an FCD that was canceled by Princess and it took about 6 weeks and it was returned to my credit card, as it was expired.  The earlier 2 sailings that were canceled by Princess that had non-expired FCD's on them were returned to my account within about  2 to 3 months time, which was before my cash refunds happened.  

Edit:  I wanted to add this is in the US.  I am not sure about depositing rules in other countries.  

Oh, and here, you can always move it to a different sailing immediately, as well, if the cruise hasn't yet been canceled by Princess.  

Edited by Cruise Raider

I am in Australia and had a booking for a January 2021 cruise using just the $100 Future Cruise Deposit (FCD). 

On 11.5.20 I rang Princess Australia to cancel the booking and as sometimes happens was switched through to a Princess representative in the USA.  I requested a refund as I don't think we'll be cruising again and we have another FCD each in the Captain's Circle Account if the situation changes.  I was told the refund would go to the original mode of payment (credit card) but he didn't know how long it would take.

After hanging up, I checked my cruise personaliser and the relevant FCD was now showing as 'Active' in lieu of 'Applied to Booking #'.  It had the original expiry date.

On 5.6.20, the FCD completely disappeared from the Captain's Circle Account (apparently being processed).

On 12.6.20, the money appeared in our Credit Card account.

During the process I kept a dated copy of what the Circle Savings Account was showing just in case there was any problems. 

Edited by joll

2 hours ago, joll said:

I am in Australia and had a booking for a January 2021 cruise using just the $100 Future Cruise Deposit (FCD). 

On 11.5.20 I rang Princess Australia to cancel the booking and as sometimes happens was switched through to a Princess representative in the USA.  I requested a refund as I don't think we'll be cruising again and we have another FCD each in the Captain's Circle Account if the situation changes.  I was told the refund would go to the original mode of payment (credit card) but he didn't know how long it would take.

After hanging up, I checked my cruise personaliser and the relevant FCD was now showing as 'Active' in lieu of 'Applied to Booking #'.  It had the original expiry date.

On 5.6.20, the FCD completely disappeared from the Captain's Circle Account (apparently being processed).

On 12.6.20, the money appeared in our Credit Card account.

During the process I kept a dated copy of what the Circle Savings Account was showing just in case there was any problems. 

I am also a great believer in tracking account problems on a daily basis and keeping a dated copy - better safe than sorry. Am unfortunately having to do that at moment with the my bank's tortuous unravelling of recent fraud on my credit card 😞