Congrats carnival all but less than 400 crew returned home

geckoaz

Cruise radio says more than 26,000 crew members returned home. Less than 400 remain trapped by closed borders and blocked flights. Sad that cdc prevented a faster return. Congrats to carnival to get it done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, geckoaz said:

Cruise radio says more than 26,000 crew members returned home. Less than 400 remain trapped by closed borders and blocked flights. Sad that cdc prevented a faster return. Congrats to carnival to get it done. 

The CDC did not prevent a faster return.  They required a more expensive option, which the cruise lines decided not to use.  And, many of those who might have been repatriated earlier, could not do so because of their own countries' quarantine requirements.

• Like 5

On 7/17/2020 at 4:51 PM, chengkp75 said:

The CDC did not prevent a faster return.  They required a more expensive option, which the cruise lines decided not to use.  And, many of those who might have been repatriated earlier, could not do so because of their own countries' quarantine requirements.

How is it on the other side in terms of repatratiation?

50 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

How is it on the other side in terms of repatratiation?

Here is a list of the most current crew change restrictions around the world:

https://www.iss-shipping.com/pages/coronavirus-port-country-implications

In the US, foreign and domestic crew other than cruise ship crew have been allowed restriction free ability to crew change (considered essential workers) since the pandemic began.  Other countries, things are starting to ease, as more nations recognize the essential nature of crew.  Philippines has relaxed somewhat, with documented shipboard quarantine prior to entry into the Philippines now being acceptable.  Indonesia is only allowing crew changes at one port, and testing is required.

• Like 3

@geckoaz

A better measure of responsibility would be to compare how Carnival repatriated their crew compared to other cruise lines and if Carnival continued to pay crew while they remained on the ships. I haven’t researched either issue myself but did hear some comments about pay stopping which I consider cruel considering the crew’s financial responsibility to their family.

This virus has been a life-changing event for most of us.  Hopefully all governments and businesses learn how to adapt to minimize the future impact on individuals.

18 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

@geckoaz

A better measure of responsibility would be to compare how Carnival repatriated their crew compared to other cruise lines and if Carnival continued to pay crew while they remained on the ships. I haven’t researched either issue myself but did hear some comments about pay stopping which I consider cruel considering the crew’s financial responsibility to their family.

This virus has been a life-changing event for most of us.  Hopefully all governments and businesses learn how to adapt to minimize the future impact on individuals.

The depth of cruise line pockets differs significantly.  When countries start treating cruise lines appropriately is a different story.  

Edited by jimbo5544

53 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

@geckoaz

You do realize that once a crew member's contract is over, that they no longer receive any pay, so really, whether they were on the ship during their "time off", or at home, the financial responsibility to their family is the same.  It would just mean that the crew member would have less time physically at home before he/she needed to sign another contract and go back to work.  And, since the  crew member is not at home, but being fed by Carnival, the financial burden on the family is less.  Carnival chose to repatriate their crew mainly via their own ships, other lines used a combination of ship repatriation and charter flights.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The depth of cruise line pockets differs significantly.  When countries start treating cruise lines appropriately is a different story.  

With regards to crew, only the US has differentiated between cruise ship crew and other mariners.  The restrictions list I linked was for all mariners.

15 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

You do realize that once a crew member's contract is over, that they no longer receive any pay, so really, whether they were on the ship during their "time off", or at home, the financial responsibility to their family is the same.  

Maybe it’s just me but I consider the social responsibility aspect of either repatriating the crew or continue paying them greater than the legal aspect of contractual obligations.  Same with not taking into consideration feeding crew over what they would have to pay for food once repatriated.

We’re probably going too far off topic here so I’ll leave it alone.  Just my $0.02.

Edited by TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail