Itinerary help

Spins123

Hello,

I have a back to back cruise booked from Vancouver with celebrity commencing July 23rd next year. I have spent many hours researching itineraries to make the most of our time. I would appreciate any thoughts on my choices before I book. Many thanks in advance!

Ketchikan : I am on the wait list for a flight to Anan creek wildlife observatory for bear watching (there is an opportunity to add a flight over Misty fjords)

Icy point : Flight to Glacier bay

Kayak - ( I haven't decided upon which company yet)

Juneau: Trekking; probably the guided mendenhall glacier trek excursion as we tend to get lost every time we go hiking.  Possibly ziplining if not in Skagway.

Skagway: Yukon Adventure & White Pass Scenic Railway cruise excursion

Seward: Kenai Fjords cruise - cruise excursion

Juneau: Helicopter Glacier Trek - cruise excursion

Mt Roberts tramway and hiking trails

Skagway: I can not decide!! - Haines Wilderness by Jet boat Chilkat river, Laughton Glacier hike, Kroschel wildlife refuge, grizzly falls ziplining, something else..

Icy Strait point: Wilderness Tour and brown bear search - independent tour (rather than the Spasski river valley bear search)

Whale watching - independent tour

Ketchikan: a boat tour to misty fjords or Neets bay bear cruise, rainforest bike ride or hiking tour 

Never book Mt Roberts in advance-   always,  just walk up.  🙂   

Anan -  is superior to Neets,   

Is there a reason for all the ship tours?    You need to be especially aware of details with tours.   

What trekking exactly-  in Juneau?   Seems like it's the walk in-  and you do need guiding,  the trails aren't the best.   This also takes probably 6 hours.    

Be very aware of the differences with the White Pass RR.   And realize you are paying probably 1/3 more using the cruise line-  along with superior opportunities going independent 

Kenai fjords-  again-  descriptions and specific tours-  are vital to review.   There are significant differences-  that many people simply miss or make wrong assumptions about.     

Your list-  needs fine tuning-  and only you can determine-  what is right for you.   I do suggest,  you look further in the tour details perhaps.     You've got a great start-  and there is no urgency at this point.   You are already on the list for Anan   which is a great choice.   But a lot else of your list,  can wait for several more months.     I do suggest-  only making your reservations-  when you KNOW your entire touring choices for your itinerary.     Keep reworking it.   I guarantee-  the more you find out the more,  your ideas will change.    I'm sure you'll end up with an excellent plan.    🙂  

Hello, 

Thank you for your detailed reply. It's good to know that we don't need to book Mt Roberts in advance that way we can decide to give it a miss if the weather isn't the best. I have looked on a lot of sites and used trip advisor to find independant tours but have found almost all of them are the same tours offered by celebrity and at the same price. This includes links via lonley planet. I don't know if I'm just not finding the right searches.  We wanted to take a long hike in Juneau. The guided one I found from what I understand begin at the visitors centre and follows the east glacier trail. The company also offers private guided hikes for the

Perseverance Trail Hike, Mendenhall Glacier Overlook or Mount Robert Extended Trek. 

The white pass RR tour is 7hrs and is described as including the train ride, then travelling to the white pass summit and into the Yukon, riding down the klondike highway to the suspension bridge at Tutshi canyon. Would you recommend that I continue to look at other options?

Thank you so much for your advice!

Juneau-  your hikes are all over.  🙂   And,  frankly-  unless you really need hand holding,  none need any guiding.   There are clear benefits-  to just going on your own,  taking your own amount of time and distance.    They are well marked and used,  every day,  by other hikers.     I give an edge to the East Loop-  if you also consider Nugget Falls,   otherwise,  there is little view.   I do suggest,  from the Visitor Center side-  enter at the first spur,   this takes you up the switchback and down the stairs.   Continue on the  Trail of Time-  I actually find that more interesting.  🙂      You have to be careful with Mt Roberts,   there are some quite steep areas,  problems happen, if it's rained/been damp prior-  you'll run into mud slicks.  🙂   I've only done a small section of the Perseverance  Trail,  I spent my time at the Last Chance mine.   

No,  I do not recommend the ship tour for the White Pass/Klondike Highway combo.   Biggest negative-  large tour buses and fixed stops.     Commentary will be in one direction-  you simply can't see well out of both sides on these buses.   Grossly superior are the smaller "shuttle" type buses.    I do have a preference for a "real" touring,  vendor I use,  but there are several to choose from.     You want the mention of Emerald Lake included in any description.   (turn around point)    

On 7/18/2020 at 8:50 PM, Budget Queen said:

Never book Mt Roberts in advance-   always,  just walk up.  🙂   

Anan -  is superior to Neets,   

Is there a reason for all the ship tours?    You need to be especially aware of details with tours.   

What trekking exactly-  in Juneau?   Seems like it's the walk in-  and you do need guiding,  the trails aren't the best.   This also takes probably 6 hours.    

Be very aware of the differences with the White Pass RR.   And realize you are paying probably 1/3 more using the cruise line-  along with superior opportunities going independent 

Kenai fjords-  again-  descriptions and specific tours-  are vital to review.   There are significant differences-  that many people simply miss or make wrong assumptions about.     

Your list-  needs fine tuning-  and only you can determine-  what is right for you.   I do suggest,  you look further in the tour details perhaps.     You've got a great start-  and there is no urgency at this point.   You are already on the list for Anan   which is a great choice.   But a lot else of your list,  can wait for several more months.     I do suggest-  only making your reservations-  when you KNOW your entire touring choices for your itinerary.     Keep reworking it.   I guarantee-  the more you find out the more,  your ideas will change.    I'm sure you'll end up with an excellent plan.    🙂  

Thank you for a detailed response. Even though I am not really acquinted with this particular situation but I took a good notice in case I get into  a similar situation.  And yes, the more people are looking for the info the more answers they get. Your post just proves the point

I would not recommend the boat tour to Misty Fiords in Ketchikan. There is a small section that is stunning and unique - otherwise, the rest is similar to what you get from a cruise ship and is not unique.

Edited by Coral

Hi,

Thank you for your advice. I have read similar reviews which has helped us to decide against this excursion now. I'm glad you have confirmed that this was the right choice. We will either attempt the deer mountain hike or use an independent kayak company to spend the day kayaking, hiking and bike riding.

I only do the Bennett Lake excursion on the train out of Skagway.  I hate the place most of the other tours stop for lunch (Caribou Crossing).  The food is terrible, everything overpriced, and very crowded.  They serve a nice box lunch on the train, Bennett Lake is spectacular with a long stop to explore, and I love Carcross.

I don't know if it's an option you would consider but when we stop in Skagway, we are planning on renting a car for the day and driving up to Emerald Lake and back  There are various tours online that I can mimic and I also plan on using Murray's guide to the South Klondike for assistance.  Our stop in Skagway is 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. so I feel that this is doable.  Gives us flexibility to stop when we want, take pictures, stretch our legs, get a bite to eat on our own terms and, frankly, be away from the cruise ship people for a day.  

6 hours ago, LadyMac72 said:

I don't know if it's an option you would consider but when we stop in Skagway, we are planning on renting a car for the day and driving up to Emerald Lake and back  There are various tours online that I can mimic and I also plan on using Murray's guide to the South Klondike for assistance.  Our stop in Skagway is 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. so I feel that this is doable.  Gives us flexibility to stop when we want, take pictures, stretch our legs, get a bite to eat on our own terms and, frankly, be away from the cruise ship people for a day.  

There is a big difference with just a road trip,  vs the train.     It doesn't sound like you have been there yet?    

7 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

I only do the Bennett Lake excursion on the train out of Skagway.  I hate the place most of the other tours stop for lunch (Caribou Crossing).  The food is terrible, everything overpriced, and very crowded.  They serve a nice box lunch on the train, Bennett Lake is spectacular with a long stop to explore, and I love Carcross.

Oh,  I absolutely agree with  with the "standard"  Chicken chicken and chicken"  option at Caribou crossing-  has gotten more fake.  the more times I've just stopped by       Reason  why I really like Dyea Dave's style of business.    

I have done the drive into Emerald lake twice and I love the trip, I rented both times from Avis, quick easy, and close to the docks.  Murray's guide is the best.  I had the privilege of interviewing him and he talked about his recommendations for the major ports in Alaska.  It is available on YouTube,  the channel name is travelingwithachair.

On 7/31/2020 at 6:22 PM, misguy said:

I have done the drive into Emerald lake twice and I love the trip, I rented both times from Avis, quick easy, and close to the docks.  Murray's guide is the best.  I had the privilege of interviewing him and he talked about his recommendations for the major ports in Alaska.  It is available on YouTube,  the channel name is travelingwithachair.

That's my plan as well.  I watched your interview!  And I sent him a friend request on another social media site and he accepted it.  I love his posts and pictures.  

On 7/31/2020 at 5:13 PM, Budget Queen said:

There is a big difference with just a road trip,  vs the train.     It doesn't sound like you have been there yet?    

Not yet.  But with the OP having 2 separate days in Skagway, I wanted to present it as an option ~ wasn't presenting it as an 
either/or choice.