Princess just posted pause till December 15,2020

23 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Many in Seattle are working from home.

While there are many from working at home Princess/HAL/Cunard furloughed a lot of people until November 30th. These people are not working and are hoping to return December 1. No guarantees.

14 minutes ago, Ryten said:

At the risk of being flamed for even bringing it up, and I start by saying that I'm not particularly in favor of it but, How long do you think it would take the industry to consider commencing the Caribbean season (albeit a short one) in a non-US port.  Nassau is less than an hour flight, The D.R. now has some decent piers, and who knows where else within a short flight from Florida. There would seem to be a certain bias of the CDC and other U.S. governmental agencies against non-US flagged ships which drag out any regulatory approval. Does anyone think that this is even a consideration? I could see cash strapped, tourist dependent countries being interested taking on the risk. Just a thought.

Nassau is in the Bahamas and they have banned American tourist from entering the country.  Until they lift that ban I can’t see cruises out out of Nassau to be a viable option.  Yes there are cruisers from other countries but I’m not sure there would be enough.   The Dominican Republic is possible but just recently announced a state of emergency and a curfew because of an increase in COVID-19 cases.  

I believe that a number of smaller countries that very much depended on tourism realized two things up front.  First, that they had to shut down early and hard to avoid the worst of it. The second was that they did not have the health and hospital resources to handle a mass outbreak.  They took a huge hit on the economy in the hope that they would dodge a much larger economic and health crisis.   Not to mention deaths

Greece is a good example of this.   Aging population at risk so they shut down early and hard.    No doubt there are some Caribbean island states that reached the same conclusion.    I doubt that any Caribbean island state would be willing to open to cruise ships now despite the economic benefit.  Greece is opening slowly but only to visitors from certain countries.  My understanding is that they are considering banning UK tourist because of the covid issue.

Edited by iancal

On 7/24/2020 at 10:14 AM, DaveOKC said:

I think that all the cruise lines will try to begin sailing prior to the Holiday season (Dec 15-Jan 7).  Its one of their most profitable times of the year.

This is what I have thought for a few weeks.  If the cruise companies are unable to do so, to paraphrase President George Herbert Walker Bush, "they are in deep doo-doo."

And the "doo-doo" keeps getting deeper.