Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

3 hours ago, peachykiehn said:

We will be in Rome in November and have some reward points we would like to use. We understand a chain hotel probably won’t give us the full Rome experience but would like to save a little cash. Does anyone have any experience with the Doubletree Hilton Rome Monti? Any input on location etc is greatly appreciated. 

stayed there june 30th till july 4th. nice hotel, roof top lounge was nice place to have a drink in the evening. short walk to colosseum. we took cab to Vatican less than $20  then from there ~$8 to trevi fountain and worked the sites from there walking back to hotel. very easy and lots to see along the way.  lots of restaurants close by, our fav is root top couple of blocks away

https://www.lafataignorante.it/

I could have ate there every night. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 10:48 AM, jbdawg said:

stayed there june 30th till july 4th. nice hotel, roof top lounge was nice place to have a drink in the evening. short walk to colosseum. we took cab to Vatican less than $20  then from there ~$8 to trevi fountain and worked the sites from there walking back to hotel. very easy and lots to see along the way.  lots of restaurants close by, our fav is root top couple of blocks away

https://www.lafataignorante.it/

I could have ate there every night. 

The menu looks great. We’ll be staying at Hotel Navona in October. Anyone know if this restaurant is anywhere close to that hotel?

8 minutes ago, IndyCapt said:

The menu looks great. We’ll be staying at Hotel Navona in October. Anyone know if this restaurant is anywhere close to that hotel?

2.2km...29 minute walk...13 minute bus ride.

image.thumb.png.f799e6758010dbab0e0943f279e90664.png

It was very difficult finding a hotel in my price range and close to all of the action. 
I ended up reserving at Diana Roof Garden, Central Station for my TA in Oct 2023. I hope I chose a decent hotel.

4 hours ago, rrraydon said:

It was very difficult finding a hotel in my price range and close to all of the action. 
I ended up reserving at Diana Roof Garden, Central Station for my TA in Oct 2023. I hope I chose a decent hotel.

just a thought. Slightly off piste…  

Carolcab in above post mentioned “monasteries /convents”.  Never heard of before, so looked.  They are basic, clean, well placed with lists of available facilities.  Could they be worth an investigation for your price point?.  After all “Rome” is the star, not the accommodation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

just a thought. Slightly off piste…  

Carolcab in above post mentioned “monasteries /convents”.  Never heard of before, so looked.  They are basic, clean, well placed with lists of available facilities.  Could they be worth an investigation for your price point?.  After all “Rome” is the star, not the accommodation.

I will check it out. Ty.

One thing that is causing me frustration is many of the places I’ve found near Novana where I’d like to be do not have a room with twin beds available for the time we’re there. Those that do are above my price range. I am trying to stay under a $1,000 for the 4 days we’re there precruise.

1 minute ago, rrraydon said:

I will check it out. Ty.

One thing that is causing me frustration is many of the places I’ve found near Novana where I’d like to be do not have a room with twin beds available for the time we’re there. Those that do are above my price range. I am trying to stay under a $1,000 for the 4 days we’re there precruise.

“Where I’d like to be” is the identical thought to hundreds of others….. Supply/demand prices rule in Rome.  But, the upper end, price wise, are truly fabulous.

One thing that’s free, wonderful and memorable is a slow Passeggiata.  Take time to look up, side and back.  Not forgetting an outside Gelato.

Enjoy

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rrraydon said:

places I’ve found near Novana where I’d like to be do not have a room with twin beds available for the time we’re there

It's possible that an older hotel with a "letto matrimoniale or "camera matrimoniale" (double bed, or room with double bed) might well be two twin beds pushed together, as this sometimes is the case in Italy, not entirely sure why, except it kind of preserves each person's own space.

So theoretically, you'd be able to stay in a hotel with this kind of setup, if you found one that was in your price range, closer to where you'd like to be. And you know what? There's usually someplace. It might not have everything, but there's usually one that's clean, safe and convenient to most of where you want to be. At least I've always found one when I was on a shoestring budget, even in some of the most expensive cities. A two star in France or Italy is tolerable, it's not like here. They rate on amenities. 

Port Royal made the point: the destination is what matters most, you need a decent place to sleep, bathe, change clothes, but otherwise if you're well situated, it's the best close to everything in Rome.

And definitely also concur with the passeggiata, in the evening or before sunset... with or without gelato (depends on when you take your meal) but do have lots of gelato. Stopping to take in scenery mid-passeggiata also recommended 😉 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 8:30 AM, rrraydon said:

I will check it out. Ty.

Hi! I think we are on the same cruise. The Odyssey? I think part of the problem is that not all the bookings for Oct 23 have opened up yet. I like you have been looking closer to the "action" but I also want to be fairly close to the Metro, and also have a somewhat limited budget. I would like to stay around $150/night. I have booked at the Roma Central Guest House (booking dot com) and they have 2 rooms right now that would fit your need. I don't have a clue if the accommodations are any better and just a few minutes closer. FWIW

On 7/21/2022 at 7:27 PM, Host Bonjour said:

It's possible that an older hotel with a "letto matrimoniale or "camera matrimoniale" (double bed, or room with double bed) might well be two twin beds pushed together, as this sometimes is the case in Italy, not entirely sure why, except it kind of preserves each person's own space.

This is worth noting as I agree you will still find it in a number of hotels today, especially those that are not part of a chain. Don't be surprised if, instead of a "true" double or queen, you find two twins pushed together.  

The problem for rrraydon is that this is not necessarily noted on the website, so if having two twin beds is a must, it would be a good idea to email the hotel specifically and ask.

• Thanks 1

Wow, It has taken me 4 days to finally get through to the end of this thread. lol  So much valuable information. I have been painstakingly researching hotels. I don't have the budget that y'all do, so though I would like to splurge on many hotels recommended here, I just can't. I wanted a decent hotel that was convenient to the metro and had either a balcony or an outdoor space. I want to be able to comfortably walk outside at night and have access to good restaurants -  again, budget friendly. I am currently booked at the Rome Central Guest House. It was as far away from the Metro as I wanted to be, but still able to get to the Colosseum  (which is important) and the Central Rome area. Figured we could take the Metro to the Vatican (if we wanted). Also was planning on taking train from the airport to hotel and to Frascati for a WInery tour. After reading, we probably won't take the train to the ship. Too much of a hassle and we are in our late 60's and mid 70's though capable. What has caused me to question this choice of location is wanting to do an evening tour of the Central Rome area (or just on our own).

So I am now leaning towards Hotel Smeraldo. It ticks off a lot of boxes except not near the Metro and over budget (which I think is worth it). Does anyone know how the Rome Central Guest House is or it's location? I know that location, location, location is important. My dh is very uninterested in historical things, I hate to say it... I'm dragging him along. LOL..He will be somewhat interested for a while. We will be there for 2 days plus the day we arrive and the day we head to the port. 

This is so overwhelming as I just spent 2 months researching Copenhagen and getting really excited about the Arbnb I found and finally understanding the city. Then Royal Caribbean cancelled the cruise, so now I am at square one. BTW, this is for late October 2023 but i'm an early planner.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 5:31 PM, CNPGOLF said:

Has anyone stayed recently at Tmark Hotel Vaticano? We selected it since it was close to the Vatican. 

Is the Vatican where you really want to be?  It's kind of an outlier in terms of Rome sites and not exactly ground zero for good restaurants (though there are a few).  

If you are staying two days and plan on spending both seeing the Vatican sites then go for it. But if you have a varied group of places to visit in Rome, you might reconsider....

On 7/29/2022 at 1:35 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Is the Vatican where you really want to be?  It's kind of an outlier in terms of Rome sites and not exactly ground zero for good restaurants (though there are a few).  

If you are staying two days and plan on spending both seeing the Vatican sites then go for it. But if you have a varied group of places to visit in Rome, you might reconsider....

We have been to Rome before but we have always been rushed through the Vatican so that is going to be our focus this trip. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. 

On 3/27/2022 at 10:06 AM, lafroh said:

Does anyone have any experience with the Colosseum Corner Hotel in Rome.  We are cruising in Oct of 2022 and looking at staying there for two days pre cruise?

We also have reservations there as well after our cruise around Italy in April 2023.  

I'm a bit concerned that the restaurants close by will be the "tourist traps" and that we will have to dodge the gladiators and rose/bracelet pushers every time we walk out. I've also seen that the area can be a bit deserted in the evenings.  Not sure if these are valid concerns or not.

On the positive, it looks great for a night tour of the Colosseum and the rooftop dining area.  Not to mention the metro stop being very close.

Have you received any other feedback?

I just wanted to say 'thank you' to all of you wonderful contributors.  Such great information you have shared. I have enjoyed reading this thread and yes, I started at the beginning! Rome hotels are astronomically priced for my upcoming October visit but you all helped me delve in a little deeper to find the 'gems' nestled in this beautiful city.  Thank you for the suggestions of Albergo Del Senato, which I just booked.  I promise to come back and give my report.   Extra special thanks to @cruisemom42.

Ashley

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Communik8r said:

I'm a bit concerned that the restaurants close by will be the "tourist traps" and that we will have to dodge the gladiators and rose/bracelet pushers every time we walk out. I've also seen that the area can be a bit deserted in the evenings.  Not sure if these are valid concerns or not.

If you're only looking within 3-4 blocks, then yes it could be a bit of a desert for good restaurants. But there are some that are reasonable in Monti or near the Basilica San Clemente (or the already much mentioned Taverna dei Fori Imperiali) that could be considered.  This provides some ideas:

https://theromanguy.com/italy-travel-blog/rome/colosseum/best-places-to-eat-near-the-colosseum/

Speaking of rooftop experiences, I have several times enjoyed a glass of wine or an aperitif on the bar at the top of the Hotel Forum (also called the American Bar) just around sunset. It overlooks the Forum and other nearby monuments. Truly one of my favorites. And for those who remember the 1990's movie "Only You" set in Italy (with Robert Downey Jr and Marisa Tomei), one of the scenes was filmed at this bar (two of the secondary characters ate lunch there).   

image.png.b0688fe07443dad6a84954f0634d0352.png

image.thumb.png.7972662b4ee76887a3f7e4239da3c181.png

Aroma is quite the up and coming place and recently received a Michelin star, if looking for a truly memorable experience...

• Like 4

On 8/1/2022 at 2:01 PM, Communik8r said:

We also have reservations there as well after our cruise around Italy in April 2023.  

On the positive, it looks great for a night tour of the Colosseum and the rooftop dining area.  Not to mention the metro stop being very close.

Have you received any other feedback?

unfortunately I have not

On 7/25/2022 at 5:45 PM, Choozin Croozin said:

My dh is very uninterested in historical things, I hate to say it... I'm dragging him along. LOL..He will be somewhat interested for a while.

It could be quite possible our husbands are related 😄 If I hear "I'm doing this for you" one more time I'm going to tell him, "great, we're maxing out the credit card."  Joking aside, he has said he knows about Rome what he learned in school but is interested in visiting, he just doesn't want any part of the planning since it requires a lot of energy and his brain is tired from work.  He's super excited about the cruise though......because he didn't have to plan it lol.   This thread has been very helpful figuring out which area is best to stay in due to our limited time there.  Got excited about Albergo del Senato but they require a three-night stay which unfortunately isn't doable for us so it's back to the drawing board.  

On 8/1/2022 at 10:27 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Speaking of rooftop experiences, I have several times enjoyed a glass of wine or an aperitif on the bar at the top of the Hotel Forum (also called the American Bar) just around sunset. It overlooks the Forum and other nearby monuments. Truly one of my favorites.

Sounds great! This wouldn’t happen to be anywhere near Hotel Navona, would it?

Thanks!