Trans Atlantic

Triggertravel

Hi everybody next year I reach the grand old age of 50, and to celebrate this landmark birthday my wife and I will be joining(hopefully ) the Azura  in October in Malta for a week around Italy and Corsica and then across to the Caribbean 23 nights in total .my question is what can I expect weather wise/ seas conditions from Madeira onwards I know it’s impossible to predict but I-am guessing that their is a few people on here that have experienced  this route .also what sort of entertainment would normally be on with so many sea days. We have done 20 plus cruise but This will be our first trans Atlantic cruise so although very excited I also feel that we are going in to the unknown a little . You’re feedback would be greatly appreciated 

From Madeira onwards - you are truly on holiday!

I hope it works out for you.  Entertainment is fine - you’ll have a reggae/ska band on board to get you in the mood, plus all the usual Headliners/guest speakers or entertainers etc

Hope it works out - enjoy!

3 hours ago, Triggertravel said:

Yes we booked port side balcony cabin midship 

Good choice - lots of sea days, so download a few books on your Kindle,  stock up with lots of wine when you are in Italy and Corsica and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Years ago I was in the TA to buy a winter cruise to the Caribbean, 14 nights. 'Do you like sea days', the young lady asked, 'yes' says I. We have a 24 nights to the Caribbean and back on Oceana from Southampton. How much? £130 more than the fly cruise. That's £13 per night. Gimme the pen and where do I sign, it was great 😁

• Like 1

I’ve done Europe to the Caribbean via Madeira and the other way quite a few times. As you say, you can’t predict the weather but you’re crossing the Atlantic on a more Southerly track than the old liners, and indeed the QM2 have done for years.

On a few crossings the ship I was onboard (smaller luxury one) stopped right in the middle of the ocean and some brave souls were allowed to jump overboard and swim. It was as calm as a mill pond. On another crossing from Barbados to Barcelona a chap got off at Madeira and swore never to back on a ship again as it was a tad choppy.

The QM2 on another crossing went through a storm and the ship hardly left an even keel but it’s designed for the North Atlantic.

These cruises are very good value and as it’s your 50th you should get the drinks package and drink your way across.

Also, at Madeira you MUST go to Reid’s hotel for afternoon tea. Old world elegance.

Have a great time!

It helps that you will have a few days aboard to "get you sea legs" before the crossing. I have always found that leaving the UK in rough weather I do feel a little queezy, but returning in rough weather is no problem. Seems the body get used to the movement of the ship.