Carnival Dream "vs" Royal Explorer (and extreme forward cabin ??)

Looking at next May out of Galveston for my family of 8 (mom/dad/"kids" 20, 18, 16, 15, 10, 18) plus Grandma.

We've done Carnival Valor and had a wonderful time.  We'd like to go out of Galveston this time, though, and Breeze dates don't line up.  Vista stateroom options are very slim (group of 9 across three rooms).

Dream looks like it will be nice, but some of the available cabins are extreme forward, deck 2.  Will these be loud and rocky?  

Another option is RCCL Explorer. Cost is almost the same for three oceanviews side-by-side.  I know very little about Royal, but we've loved DCL, NCL, and Carnival.  I've also done Princess and had a great time.  

Do any of you more experienced cruisers have things you'd encourage me to look at while considering my options?

Itineraries are similar.  Dream is 6 night with Coz, Honduras, Costa Maya; Explorer is 5 night with Coz, Progreso.  We've been to all the ports before.

Thank you!

Call me crazy, but I actually love Progreso.

With that said, it seems like Dream my be a better deal since its a 6 night itinerary with an additional port. I've sailed all the way forward on the Dream class of ships, as well as others. Yes, you can feel a bit more pitching motion if seas are rocky, and sometimes you can feel shudders from waves hitting the bow of the ship. It wouldn't be a deal breaker to me but it would be a bit bothersome. It truly depends on your level of tolerance. 

Can you find cabins somewhere else on the ship that are more midship, even on a different deck or even if they are not right next to each other? I'd take deck 1 more midship before deck 2 forward. Do you need the cabins to be touching each other? 

• Like 1

I liked magic more than dream. That being said dream is one of my favourites too. 

Explorer OTS is also a  nice ship and will have better shows.  I like the perks for loyalty better on rcl but like some of the eating options better on ccl. Guys, bbq, and the mexican are favourites. Dream has the italian restaurant free at lunch, pay at dinner, though i dont do Italian. 

So I like both these ships, give a nod to rcl as you climb loyalty perks and shows, but a nod to carnival for their food choices.

Maybe figure it on a day basis which comes out better since one has a extra day. 

I had the choice of dream or vista and prefer dream but vista came out cheaper on a per day basis so I booked vista. I'm not one who cares too much about which cabin, though dream class spa cabins are the best spa cabins on carnival. 

Without the prices, idk. Both are good choices. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tapi said:

6 night itinerary

yes. This clearly is a vote to Dream. 

We also liked Progreso last year. 

Our staterooms do not need to touch.  But I would like to be on the same deck and somewhat near one another. I’ve traveled with my crew often enough to Know that it won’t matter how many times I tell them “the plan” they will come looking for reminding, for stuff, etc.  The inventory on Dream is really low for that sailing. My mom is a hearty 72 yo, but I don’t want her sick. I just called my TA yesterday. Maybe she will find a combo I can’t find. 

Thank you for your help @Tapi !!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Without the prices, idk. Both are good choices.

I don’t have exact numbers either, but I’m glad you make a point that either one is a good option!

My family of 8 had an absolute BLAST on Valor and it’s got far less “to do.”  The FOOD and the service were excellent. Blue Iguana and Guy’s for lunch and second lunch as much as possible. 😉

Explorer looks nice too though. And more inventory...  

Thank you @firefly333

Edited by Vacationdreamer<><

5 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

yes. This clearly is a vote to Dream. 

We also liked Progreso last year. 

Our staterooms do not need to touch.  But I would like to be on the same deck and somewhat near one another. I’ve traveled with my crew often enough to Know that it won’t matter how many times I tell them “the plan” they will come looking for reminding, for stuff, etc.  The inventory on Dream is really low for that sailing. My mom is a hearty 72 yo, but I don’t want her sick. I just called my TA yesterday. Maybe she will find a combo I can’t find. 

Thank you for your help @Tapi !!

It's not much but explorer I saw had a senior rate, so whichever cabin your mom is in will be slightly discounted. I love the promenade on explorer and the parades. Personally I prefer the pr cabins to ovs. Pr are the promenade cabins that have a inside view of the promenade. 

I would only do explorer if b2b with a 4 day. Even 6 days is my bare minimum to go to Galveston and pay to cruise and usually get a hotel the night before etc. 

What kind of cabins on dream are you comparing

• Like 1

Dream I was looking at one OV and two interiors, but actually port holes. Like $5300 all in. My numbers not TA. 
RCL was about the same for three OV in a row. But one day less. 

Either way we are driving from New York and road tripping our way down and back. The cruise is just a piece of a bigger family trip.  It’s the reason why we are looking at cruising out of Galveston; there are points of interest there and back. 

Edited by Vacationdreamer<><
Messed up

Cool.  Thank you so much for checking into this. 
I haven’t had a chance to try with the senior rate. 
I am heading home soon and will try this. 

I’ll probably do 5/19 and DH, Me and 2 kids 8 & 10, my two teen girls with grandma and my two adult sons alone. 

my prices also included gratuities. I should have indicated that I guess. 

Rcl about every other sailing does a kids sail free, but probably lose the senior, but you can probably do it cheaper if the 8 and 10 year old are the 3rd and 4th guest, kids have to be under the age of 13 for the kids sail free rcl promo price. So put them as the 3rd and 4th, or 3rd and 3rd guests and when the kids sail free do a price check. I sail solo, it's my least favorite sale. They bounce between 60% off first guest, to 30% off all then the kids sail free ones seems like in rotation. 

Nice ship but unless you are spending time on Galveston beach to stretch it out, 5 days wouldnt be enough for me. .. but then I have two 7 day b2b booked. I wanna go for longer.

If you like italian dream is nice. Idk if they will still do this but like Thursday morning if you go up to the main pool early, they have towel animals all over. In almost every deck chair, floating on stuff in the pool everywhere. And who doesnt love guys burgers, though guys bbq has become my new favorite for lunch

I'd want to do both lol

• Like 1

If I was choosing simply by ship, Explorer of the Seas would be an easy choice for me. When it comes to ships and various activities, RCI ships are far superior to Carnival ships in my opinion. Voyager class ships, which includes Explorer OTS, are much nicer than Carnival’s newest Vista class ships. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If I was choosing simply by ship, Explorer of the Seas would be an easy choice for me. When it comes to ships and various activities, RCI ships are far superior to Carnival ships in my opinion. Voyager class ships, which includes Explorer OTS, are much nicer than Carnival’s newest Vista class ships. 

2 hours ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

@xDisconnections @PhillyFan33579 Thank you for your answers. 
Would you elaborate, please?

I do see the FlowRider on Explorer OTS, but they both have golf and water slides. 

I really wish one had a ropes course. That would be the deal-maker for me. 

I can echo PhillyFan’s comments. Have you looked at the deck plans yet of Explorer? Oh the Carnival board, the preference will be biased towards Carnival and obviously the opposite in the Royal boards. The Voyager class ships on Royal (and obviously Freedom, Oasis and Quantum) are far superior to even the newest on Carnival despite being aged. The ships also feel less crowded due to better crowd flow and a higher passenger:space ratio.

Here is a brief overview of some of the stuff you’ll find onboard:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/explorer-of-the-seas/things-to-do

I took a lot at both dream and 7 day vista in may 2021. Vista shows on average about $20 more a day, no brainer for me, but I'm not paying tips for 9.

So I tried to price out dream with a regular PT, and the only PT cabin that has beds that push together and holds 3 is on deck 1. And costs 2.20 more per day x 6. There is a 1A port hole that you could put the boys in, says its upper and lower but it's a sofa bed and twin. Beds dont push together. The problem is finding a cabin for 4 close by. Only 1 PT left, 1 1A left near the PT, no cabins for 4 on deck 1, they would have to run up and down the steps. Can put them forward right above the other 2 cabins one deck, but cant find 3 cabins with the configuration you want close together. One flight of stairs isn't bad, but cant find 3 cabins on the same deck. The 1A with port holes would be a good price for the boys. And they dont care if the beds push together, PT for 3 people 2 cabins away, one cabin between you. But the cabin for 4 none near them except up a deck.

I put up carnival dream next to vista, it's a little more per day but with 9 tips would add up. 

Dream 6 days cabins 1203 for the 2 boys, porthole 1A, 1207 PT porthole for 3 of you, and the cabin for 4 up above you .. 

20200809_092441509.jpeg

20200809_092618663.jpeg

20200809_100944725.jpeg

• Like 1

1A always say upper and lower but they vary, conquest class has 3 that the twins push together. On dream the beds will both be along one wall that I suggested for the 2 older boys. 

I did vista last and found some pics of 1A port hole. The "sofa" bed is under the window. Just remove back cushions and it becomes a bed. 

IMG_20181111_145000.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I put up carnival dream next to vista,

Just quoting a selection to tag you.

Thank you for looking so sincerely into this.
Since you obviously know your way around I can specifically share that on Dream I was looking at these combos; they all come in within $500 of each other with all tips included AND the more costly (but wholly refundable!!!) deposits.  (With THIS family, I need to be able to cancel without penalty).

1249 (4 in OV)
1245 (3 in OV)
1251 (2 in inside)
think that was $5636

also 
1257 (4)
1207 (3)
1203 (2)
$5386

also
2234 (4)
2202 (3)
2204 (2)

$5346.

But these were all on Friday and could be gone.

I'm just sitting down with coffee and going to look around.

BUT 

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

Oh the Carnival board, the preference will be biased towards Carnival and obviously the opposite in the Royal boards.

😀

This is very intriguing to me! 
This is the Carnival board, and enough people are telling me that RCCL may be preferable OR that they are both solid options.

Just now, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

also

This is the Carnival board, and enough people are telling me that RCCL may be preferable OR that they are both solid options.

I noticed which is actually pretty unusual but there haven’t been many responses yet. Anytime this discussion is presented, the bias normally has a heavy presence. It’s likely to show up later in the thread when the loyalists begin to participate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

vista

I really, really, really WANT to cruise on Vista.  But we are also very keen on road trips, and if we sandwich this cruise between 3-5 days down to Galveston and 3-5 days back from Galveston, I can't commit a full Sat-Sat on a ship.  Not for this year.

My oldest graduates with his BS on May 8 and this could be his last family trip for a while depending on his employment.

1 minute ago, xDisconnections said:

I noticed which is actually pretty unusual but there haven’t been many responses yet. Anytime this discussion is presented, the bias normally has a heavy presence. It’s likely to show up later in the thread when the loyalists begin to participate.

Well - then I am especially grateful for the honest responses I've thus received!  

My family is actually super easy to please.  We had a blast on Valor out of NOLA last summer and that ship is sort of bare bones by newer standards.  My youngest two had wonderful experiences in the kids' clubs and the older kids (and DH and I) enjoyed movies under the stars (errr - not exactly MUTS 😉 ) each night.  We also loved the size of Valor and our dining staff was fabulous.   I don't think we'd have a BAD time on either ship.  I guess it's a good problem to have.  :)

Ugh - I have conversations like these and then remember that life is still far from normal!  I'm extremely hopeful we can do ANY cruise next May!!

2 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

Well - then I am especially grateful for the honest responses I've thus received!  

My family is actually super easy to please.  We had a blast on Valor out of NOLA last summer and that ship is sort of bare bones by newer standards.  My youngest two had wonderful experiences in the kids' clubs and the older kids (and DH and I) enjoyed movies under the stars (errr - not exactly MUTS 😉 ) each night.  We also loved the size of Valor and our dining staff was fabulous.   I don't think we'd have a BAD time on either ship.  I guess it's a good problem to have.  🙂

Ugh - I have conversations like these and then remember that life is still far from normal!  I'm extremely hopeful we can do ANY cruise next May!!

Dream will be much of the same as Valor with very few changes. Apart from Ocean Plaza, the walk around outdoor promenade with hot tubs (and occasionally some food options), refreshed common area theming, an expanded spa with a thalassotherapy pool and some additional food options, I can’t really think of anything else that you would have in addition. It’s mostly a slightly larger ship with more staterooms and passengers. I don’t even believe they have the speciality Italian restaurant but I’m confident someone will correct me if they do.

Look at Explorer... see what is has to offer. You might be surprised and at those ages, it’ll be a lot more geared towards them. Explorer even has an ice skating rink and the entertainment/shows are a lot more appealing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

Just quoting a selection to tag you.

Thank you for looking so sincerely into this.
Since you obviously know your way around I can specifically share that on Dream I was looking at these combos; they all come in within $500 of each other with all tips included AND the more costly (but wholly refundable!!!) deposits.  (With THIS family, I need to be able to cancel without penalty).

1249 (4 in OV)
1245 (3 in OV)
1251 (2 in inside)
think that was $5636

also 
1257 (4)
1207 (3)
1203 (2)
$5386

also
2234 (4)
2202 (3)
2204 (2)

$5346.

But these were all on Friday and could be gone.

I'm just sitting down with coffee and going to look around.

BUT 

😀

Selection number 2, but the cabin for 4 you show doesnt show up for me right now. But with 2 port hole cabins would be my favorite.

Rcl for a newbie not much difference, it's the loyalty programs pts that I prefer. I think it's like 75 pts to reach platinum on rcl. For that you can eat breakfast in a separate dining room that has a couple of speciality coffees I like. There is also a bar at night where you get free wine or champagne which I'm a wine drinker and spent time in. (At diamond on rcl you get free mixed drinks but I prefer wine). 

On carnival takes 200 pts to reach diamond and the perks arent as good. Free wash and fold, ehhh, I can do wash at home. Etc. 

Dream looks like a good choice, I'd pick 2 to have 2 cabins you can see out, but cant find a good cabin for 4 nearby... 

Only thing I can find is 7 day vista in may to put you all together for about $20 more pp plus another day of tips. Vista will have the most food choices. Though I dont like they put the bbq outside deck 5, but I love the bbq, has guys burgers I love, and the cantina has great salads in a shell for lunch. Also salads up in the spa area are free, but not sure better than the cantina. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

I can’t really think of anything else that you would have in addition.

IIRC they have four waterslides and a child-friendly water area.

We also like Guy's and Blue Iguana (I know - I know - I've said that a few times... 😂 )  

I posted on RCCL about things to do on Explorer.  I just had an alert to my first response.  I don't know if Explorer shows movies after dinner.  We aren't really into stage shows.  We've tried them on Carnival and NCL and didn't stay.  (DCL was another story and was a one-and-done-$$$ adventure.)

12 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

IIRC they have four waterslides and a child-friendly water area.

We also like Guy's and Blue Iguana (I know - I know - I've said that a few times... 😂 )  

I posted on RCCL about things to do on Explorer.  I just had an alert to my first response.  I don't know if Explorer shows movies after dinner.  We aren't really into stage shows.  We've tried them on Carnival and NCL and didn't stay.  (DCL was another story and was a one-and-done-$$$ adventure.)

You should try guys bbq, it's really good too and the sides.

I agree with above dream doesnt have really more than valor. For some reason magic has Italian but not dream .. though I dont like italian so doesnt matter to me. The Mongolian wok is good for lunch but always has a slower line but I like it too so dream has all my favourites. Be sure to try the bbq.

On valor the bbq was up above the back buffet and up some steps, and very few seemed to find it and it's good. Crew ate there a lot on conquest class, a/c unlike on vista. Sorry you didnt find it on valor? Pulled pork or beef and good sides and potato salad made with cut up baked potatoes.. rolls to put the bbq on. Small sign at foot of stairs all the way to the back of back buffet on valor.